joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TWC going to name winter storms this winter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda interesting they are keeping the Q name for the new storm that forms off the coast.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-q-northeast-boston-20130220

I'm not sure there is a strong argument either way as its connected to the original low that impacted the Plains but more of making the rules as they go I suppose.

Kinda interesting they are keeping the Q name for the new storm that forms off the coast.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-q-northeast-boston-20130220

I'm not sure there is a strong argument either way as its connected to the original low that impacted the Plains but more of making the rules as they go I suppose.

I wish we didn't have to have TWC on one of our SADs at work. I can't stand accidentally catching glimpses of them pushing science forward on a daily basis. I suppose I'm just envious is all.

I think that is it as the low is connected to the original low but also is due to another shortwave that comes east and induces it on the front.

I wish we didn't have to have TWC on one of our SADs at work. I can't stand accidentally catching glimpses of them pushing science forward on a daily basis. I suppose I'm just envious is all.

Have to have? Your office is not required to have that on, is it?

Looks like Winter Storm Rocky has been named.

Yeah, our management is old school and still thinks TWC shows our zones. J/k...but it is on pretty much daily. What a dreary channel.

Yeah, our management is old school and still thinks TWC shows our zones. J/k...but it is on pretty much daily. What a dreary channel.

I wish TWC still showed NWS HGX forecasts.  The local office really did put out better forecasters than TWC does.

I wonder how long Jim Cantore was in a studio recording words for a computer to string together to make it sounds like he reads our local forecast

I miss when TWC was mainly disseminating NWS products. They've really went down hill when they started doing everything in-house, and airing prerecorded material. Their local forecasts are useless these days as they've cut them down to a minute.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Zeus! We have made it through the list.

Right now weather.com's main article is about fat people and is has a picture of a large woman in a bathing suit. That was not a good experience.

How in the world is this weather news? I swear they are an embarrassment to the meteorological field.

• 2 weeks later...

They picked a bad season to start this. Though it started out weak, 2012-13 really has had an unusual number of major winter-type storms.

Just from memory, no research, but they also burned a lot of names early on mediocre systems.  They loved having a Twitter hashtag.

Just from memory, no research, but they also burned a lot of names early on mediocre systems.  They loved having a Twitter hashtag.

Yeah, I agree they started with pretty loose standards (probably due in part to the lackluster winter across most the country last year), and then were increasingly forced to name storms later in the season that were truly impactful/historic.

Just from memory...they missed two blizzards. Not really serving anyone, they are. 

• 4 months later...

Archived