12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
WxChallenge 2012-13

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I just thought of regarding the climo report:

The winds are solely based on the daily climatology report. The climatology report is a midnight-midnight running feature. However, in Astoria, this is 8z-8z, instead of 6z-6z. Would this mean that a wind at 8z tomorrow would be valid for tomorrow's forecast, even though it would be after the 6z time period? This is important considering the fact that the winds are supposed to increase later in the forecast period, and especially right after it.

Something I just thought of regarding the climo report:

The winds are solely based on the daily climatology report. The climatology report is a midnight-midnight running feature. However, in Astoria, this is 8z-8z, instead of 6z-6z. Would this mean that a wind at 8z tomorrow would be valid for tomorrow's forecast, even though it would be after the 6z time period? This is important considering the fact that the winds are supposed to increase later in the forecast period, and especially right after it.

Yep.

Also, I can't believe I went 37F today. I knew better, but I was stubborn.

Good riddance, Astoria.

I think for the vote city, it would be cool to vote and forecast for TJSJ. That is San Juan, PR. I'm not familiar with what kind of weather they get if any during early spring, but I don't recall wxchallenge ever doing a city in a U.S. Territory that isn't classified as a state.

• 2 weeks later...

I expected a low high today as well, but the low is going to be what makes or breaks me today.

I'm at...

37/30/10/0

So far it looks like it could be...

39 (or 40)/30/12/0

If the low drops below 30F by 06z, I'm screwed. But if it stays up (and I think it will), I'll actually finish day 1 in pretty good shape.

I originally had 20. But when I saw today's winds over perform I reacted to it and bumped up winds for tomorrow.

Winds just off the surface.....like 975 mb are forecast to be around 25 kts.

Right. But then all my PSU buddies (who are generally very good with the wind) went with 17-18 which confused the heck out of me. Now I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing.

Probably my closest call yet:

Forecast Status :Saved - On Time - (23:59:45 UTC)

Went 42/30/18/0.01

Looks like farther up I-81 is going to get a good hit tomorrow, but I'm banking on SYR staying in the subsidence region. We'll see about that.

After spending a combined 15 minutes on my forecasts for SYR so far, I'm sitting in 3rd at Valpo and 101 nationally (I type this before the climo report comes in, of course). That tends to happen, though, to those of us who don't give up after a bad city.

42/27/15/0.05. Wasn't able to look at the 18Z model runs yesterday. My forecast was based on 12Z info and observation. Precip didn't pan out as the band set up to the north. Since I forecast for some snow to fall I thought the temperature was going to wetbulb to a lower value since it was relatively dry.

Archived