• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Remnants of Nadine (14L)

Probably the best satellite presentation Nadine has had its entire lifespan with a well defined eye and convection (albiet moderate) rotating in all quadrants.

Nadine looked better as an actual hurricane... this looks like a loose mess to me. Maybe as Nadine approaches warmer waters, better convection can form.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's nothing...12z Euro builds a mega Bermuda ridge, and by day 10 Nadine is Moving SW around 25N 50W... That will doom it, because that's too close to the tropics, and indeed it's weakening at that time range.

I still say even a 30 knot tropical depression getting South of 25ºN after weeks North of there would be mega-cool. And if Nadine can get to 60ºW I'll just plotz.

post-138-0-71327200-1348601319_thumb.gif

That's nothing...12z Euro builds a mega Bermuda ridge, and by day 10 Nadine is Moving SW around 25N 50W... That will doom it, because that's too close to the tropics, and indeed it's weakening at that time range.

Same here... let's hope this doesn't get down to the tropics

:lmao:

The ECMWF is just plain bonkers... the system is weakening due to strong northerly shear in that time frame, but not only is it not showing signs of recurvature but its actually continuing to back southwest. Nadine has a shot at the record if the ECMWF is on to something, because it would probably take at least another 5 days from that position for the system to recurve. what an unusual pattern in the Atlantic basin for this time of the year.

Both the 00z ECMWF and 06-12z GFS have Nadine on the map in 240 hours still in the middle of the central Atlantic. If that were to verify, Nadine would have a total lifespan of 25 days which would have Nadine in 3rd behind Ginger and the unnamed TC in 1899. It would also put the system 4th overall.

Both the 00z ECMWF and 06-12z GFS have Nadine on the map in 240 hours still in the middle of the central Atlantic. If that were to verify, Nadine would have a total lifespan of 25 days which would have Nadine in 3rd behind Ginger and the unnamed TC in 1899. It would also put the system 4th overall.

At this point, I'm not only rooting for it to become the longest ever, but I hope that, after that shear passes, Nadine is able to strengthen, continue moving S/W, and make landfall in Florida as a major hurricane.

At this point, I'm not only rooting for it to become the longest ever, but I hope that, after that shear passes, Nadine is able to strengthen, continue moving S/W, and make landfall in Florida as a major hurricane.

Todays 12z GFS. Here I'll just do a quick back-forth animation of the initialization and the 384 hour forecast. We are looking at 850 hPa vorticity (color shaded), with 250 hPa wind vectors (barbs), and 500 hPa heights (black contours). Before you ask the question, yup thats Nadine 16 days from now, no closer to recurving than it was at the initialization. Logic would dictate that this won't happen, but still worth a good laugh.

Here is the loop

2rqoop0.gif

Todays 12z GFS. Here I'll just do a quick back-forth animation of the initialization and the 384 hour forecast. We are looking at 850 hPa vorticity (color shaded), with 250 hPa wind vectors (barbs), and 500 hPa heights (black contours). Before you ask the question, yup thats Nadine 16 days from now, no closer to recurving than it was at the initialization. Logic would dictate that this won't happen, but still worth a good laugh.

We will see if it can make a run at the longevity record of this puppy!

220px-790106-0203_Voyager_58M_to_31M_reduced.gif

Regaurdless of weather it sets the record for longevity, It's already set the record for the most boring storm in history. Whats it been 14 days and the best it did was CAT1 and it's not dead yet!

The longest lived storms in the Atlantic rarely get exciting due to the nature of the atmospheric patterns that have to be occurring for such longevity to occur.

You can thank the really strong blocking pattern over the North Atlantic this month.

You can also thank the huge anticyclonic wave-breaking event that occurred in the West Pacific last week that spurred a strong Rossby Wave Train that lead to the enhanced ridging over the Atlantic basin.

wb1.gif

rwt.png

downstream.gif

Bingo... It will be interesting to see if the Jerlawat and Ewiniar can essentially cause a repeat pattern, albeit less meriodonal.

I suspect Jelawat will be the bigger contributor, since the latent heat release will be almost an order of magnitude larger than Ewiniar, but yeah. Take a look at some of Euro ensemble spag charts for next week. They don't have a clue because they are having difficulty setting up the wave train.

Bingo... It will be interesting to see if the Jerlawat and Ewiniar can essentially cause a repeat pattern, albeit less meriodonal.

Yeah, this has been a very persistent NH pattern for most of the summer into the early fall.

The models are hitting the amplification in the GOA region pretty hard to start off October

with the big EPO reversal over the next few days.

I suspect Jelawat will be the bigger contributor, since the latent heat release will be almost an order of magnitude larger than Ewiniar, but yeah. Take a look at some of Euro ensemble spag charts for next week. They don't have a clue because they are having difficulty setting up the wave train.

Yep, just like when the forecasting uncertainty was high with Nadine last week.

Phil, good post and we indirectly discussed the tropic action in the west pac over in the SNE forum too. Those are good visuals.

Thanks... I am prepping for a map discussion tomorrow where this will be the focal point for our discussion. Its always fascinating to watch the energy with rossby wave trains propagate faster than the actual wave themselves, which leads to these trails of anomalous flow that can circumnavigate the globe. In fact, there is some evidence that the wave-train that was enhanced by Sanba might have initially been kicked off by the ET of Leslie.

Yep, just like when the forecasting uncertainty was high with Nadine last week.

Thanks... I am prepping for a map discussion tomorrow where this will be the focal point for our discussion. Its always fascinating to watch the energy with rossby wave trains propagate faster than the actual wave themselves, which leads to these trails of anomalous flow that can circumnavigate the globe. In fact, there is some evidence that the wave-train that was enhanced by Sanba might have initially been kicked off by the ET of Leslie.

That's fascinating (the part about Leslie). Will that evidence be a part of your discussion and is there any way you can share it here afterwards?

With Nadine also missing the next trough, as long as it persists it should still be active through at least October 3, about 20-21 days as a tropical cyclone. According to Wikipedia's stats, this would put Nadine around the 6th longest lasting tropical cyclone on record, and according to a list posted on Dr. Master's wunderground blog, it would be the 2nd or potentially the longest lasting tropical cyclone since 1950. After October 3rd it finally looks like Nadine's future may be in trouble with the persistent North Atlantic ridging breaking down as the ridging spreads into the eastern US, possibly the strongest since 9/14, with decreasing heights over the North Atlantic. I wouldn't be completely surprised if Nadine again finds a way to last even longer, especially if it stays further south as long as conditions remain favorable for Nadine to persist, but by that time I suspect Nadine may finally be approaching its end.

Nadine back up to a hurricane as of 11 AM.

FTR, the longest lasting storm last decade... Hurricane Kyle (2002)... had 89 advisories issued on it. We are at 64 with Nadine now.

Looks like it wont make it for longest lasting ever...only Canadian and NOGAPS support the SW track, which is like a kiss of death to that scenario.

Archived