• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Isaac Heavy Rain Event

Hoosier

Hoping we can get the beneficial rain without any of the really bad effects like widespread wind damage or heavy flooding.

From IND's afternoon AFD:

WHILE CONFIDENCE IS GROWING IN SOME FORM OF IMPACTS FROM THE

TROPICAL SYSTEM BEING FELT IN CENTRAL INDIANA...HIGH UNCERTAINTY

PERSISTS IN TIMING AND SPECIFIC IMPACTS AND WILL LIKELY NOT BE

NAILED DOWN FOR A FEW MORE DAYS. BEST APPROACH AT THIS POINT IS TO

MAINTAIN CHANCE POPS FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY TO ACCOUNT FOR THE

VARIANCE. IF THE EVENTUAL TRACK TAKES ISSAC RIGHT OVER CENTRAL

INDIANA OR TO THE WEST AND NORTH OF THE FORECAST AREA...POTENTIAL

FOR WIDESPREAD BENEFICIAL RAINFALL AND POSSIBLY SEVERE WEATHER AND

TORNADOES VIA LOW TOPPED SUPERCELLS WILL EXIST. WILL CONTINUE TO

MONITOR ISSAC CLOSELY AND EMPLOY MORE DETAIL AS IT MOVES THROUGH THE

GULF OF MEXICO AND TRACK FORECASTS COME INTO BETTER ALIGNMENT.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS ensembles have been fairly persistent the past few runs with where they landfall Isaac and where they take his remnants. The mean shows a good soaking for a large chunk of this sub-forum, although a shift a bit south would be needed to bring any significant relief to the more extreme drought areas. Plenty of time to sit back and watch this.

post-525-0-61845100-1346023978_thumb.gif

Looking at the 18z GFS at 144 hours (twisterdata maps), winds at the 925mb level are still 45-50kts as the circulation moves to the south of Chicago. With the bands of rains going on Saturday - might some gusty winds mix down to the surface!?

Looking at the 18z GFS at 144 hours (twisterdata maps), winds at the 925mb level are still 45-50kts as the circulation moves to the south of Chicago. With the bands of rains going on Saturday - might some gusty winds mix down to the surface!?

If this solution were to verify, then possibly, although deep moist environment/extensive clouds/precip could keep mixing in check.

Ridiculous PWATs on the GFS....in excess of 2.5". Only 6 days to go lol

September 2008 (Ike remnants) you mean? But this would be nothing like that one, at its present solutions.

fig4.0809.png

Actually I think this is a pretty good idea of what could happen. Especially if the PWATs of the GFS are realized. 2.50" PWATs are record territory at this time of the year plus the interaction with the front dropping in should also help squeeze out every bit of the moisture.

September 2008 (Ike remnants) you mean? But this would be nothing like that one, at its present solutions.

Yeah that was an impressive event. Hard to tell how much rainfall will actually fall in the heaviest swath at this point, but I would imagine a nice swath of 3-4"+ possible at the least. Obviously depends on how slow it moves north/northeast, etc.

Actually I think this is a pretty good idea of what could happen. Especially if the PWATs of the GFS are realized. 2.50" PWATs are record territory at this time of the year plus the interaction with the front dropping in should also help squeeze out every bit of the moisture.

September 2003 comes to mind as well. That event featured the wettest day in Indy's history. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ind/?n=sept03_flood

September 2008 was really wet. From the remnants of Ike and Lowell I got 4.93" of rain. Then there was the remnants of Gustav on the 3-4th. All in all I had 8.81" of rain that month.

I think 3-4" of rain from Issac in a corridor would seem reasonable to predict at this point.

yeah that's what I meant. I don't know what I said 2009. But I think this will have potential to come close to that if some of the current models verify.

We'll see I guess. Of course the September 2008 event was a combination of parts of the remnants of Tropical Storm Lowell and Hurricane Ike.

September 2008 was really wet. From the remnants of Ike and Lowell I got 4.93" of rain. Then there was the remnants of Gustav on the 3-4th. All in all I had 8.81" of rain that month.

I think 3-4" of rain from Issac in a corridor would seem reasonable to predict at this point.

I don't know if I'd be predicting anything yet. What you mentioned does have precedent though...some storms have dropped even higher amounts. Carla in 1961 was a big rainmaker IIRC.

Hard to call for an Ike repeat but this is one of the more legit remnant shots we've seen in a long time.

Well, they both start with the letter I. :guitar:

Anyways, our thread from Ike from EUSWX...if anyone wants to kill some time/and is interested: http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/173618-midwestohio-valley-heavy-rainike-remnants-thread/

GFS ensembles have been fairly persistent the past few runs with where they landfall Isaac and where they take his remnants. The mean shows a good soaking for a large chunk of this sub-forum, although a shift a bit south would be needed to bring any significant relief to the more extreme drought areas. Plenty of time to sit back and watch this.

post-525-0-61845100-1346023978_thumb.gif

Wow... Big rain.

I don't know if I'd be predicting anything yet. What you mentioned does have precedent though...some storms have dropped even higher amounts. Carla in 1961 was a big rainmaker IIRC.

Just shooting thoughts out - somewhere in this subforum region that would be reasonable if things work out right. Whether it would be towards the Ohio River or the Lower Lakes. Looks like the remnants will head into drought stricken areas and that's the positive aspect of this storm.

6z GFS has a stripe of 10"+ across Chicago

Just a bit over done I'd say :P

Although with the frontal interaction and PWATs off the charts, not entirely unrealistic.

Edit: Bufkit raw numbers for KORD from start to finish with the remnants of Isaac puts out 10.30" QPF including a 3 hour period of 4.89". This is by far the most QPF I have ever seen displayed on Bufkit. Although you don't often have PWATs of 2.60" at any point in the year.

6z GFS has a stripe of 10"+ across Chicago

Dang! I've never seen anything higher than 9" on the GFS qpf scale before. Looks like they had to extend it this time around! That's overdone...probably - it goes to show you where the models thinks the remnants are going to go at least. That would end the drought in northern IL!

Dang! I've never seen anything higher than 9" on the GFS qpf scale before. Looks like they had to extend it this time around! That's overdone...probably - it goes to show you where the models thinks the remnants are going to go at least. That would end the drought in northern IL!

most of the models show more of a central IL or OH valley situation…I still think we see some rain given the frontal interaction but I'm favoring heaviest well south. Obviously the further west of a landfall, the better our chances look.

Archived