• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Worst Forecast Bust for a Severe Weather Outbreak Ever?

Hailstorm

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And my question hasn't been answered - would a slight risk have been better than a moderate risk for our area? The answer to that IMO is yes.

Are you arguing that a 45% chance of a wind report within 25 mi of a location was not warrented? Because that is the criterion for moderate risk for wind.

An event can underperform or overperform based on expectations of forecasters but it cannot bust if there is less than a 100% chance. Come on guys...this is really embarassing...get a grip (i'm talking in general)

Oh I know what you're saying. Every single person who has ever used the word "bust" here and on Eastern was utterly wrong unless "100%" was written (and how often does that happen?) Why is it only being called out in this instance?

Actually I don't think we can technically use the words "overperform" and "underperform" because there is no concrete expectation either way. Just a "chance."

Oh I know what you're saying. Every single person who has ever used the word "bust" here and on Eastern was utterly wrong unless "100%" was written (and how often does that happen?) Why is it only being called out in this instance?

Actually I don't think we can technically use the words "overperform" and "underperform" because there is no concrete expectation either way. Just a "chance."

It's not...we've had this same discussion for years on American and eastern.

But it was a 45% chance of severe winds and only a 5% chance at tornadoes yesterday. Big difference with saying high chances of 70%+ or 90% chance at 6"+ of snow.

I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but Lonnie Quinn from Channel 7 NY bet his career on strong thunderstorms for everybody last night. I assume some will point to the tornado in upstate NY to verify their forecasts. It gave me a chuckle at least.

The verification of probability forecasts is multi-dimensional....bottom line -- meteorologists have a great job. One of the fields where verification is so complex.

http://www.eumetcal....s1/uos1_ko5.htm

http://www.nssl.noaa...robability.html

:lol: Is that the classier version of "Meteorologist - the only job where you can be wrong all the time and keep your job! har har" ?

So we basically had a 40 page thread to discuss the 45% chance of being within 25 MILES of a severe report. Any prefessional gambler in Vegas would never waste his time or take those odds lol.

Hey, no one ever said this was an emotionally lucrative field. ;)

Well technically, I think the 45% means 45% or greater, but not more than 60%, since that is the next criterion, as 50 and 55% are not used.

But with that said, mapgirl's map (pun intended) clearly shows that even under that criteria, the mod risk was clearly warranted. Only the extreme edges of the mod risk were not within the black line. The concentration of wind reports was very high for the most part, and fit the exact nature of a LEWP.

So we basically had a 40 page thread to discuss the 45% chance of being within 25 MILES of a severe report. Any prefessional gambler in Vegas would never waste his time or take those odds lol.

No, basically you had a 40 page thread because most of you are weenies who hump anything that shows something exciting for you. The Trials is complaining today because yesterday he was scared and looked silly while saying it. SNE goes through threads like this all the time, but instead of whining over the lack of weather, they break it down to why it didn't happen that way.

Perhaps you all should learn to appreciate what you do get, learn when it is necessary and give applaud to those who deal with difficult weather systems and their forecasts instead of crying because your backyard didn't get a wind gust of 58mph or more.

interesting. Here is a write up on a microburt and downburst event. Notice how the nws separates TREE damage and STRUCTURAL damage in their write up two separate times.

Are we really sure that every downed limb and branch counts as a severe episode?

http://www.crh.noaa....x/?n=06_27_2010

Well, take this for what it is worth, but here is the damage indicators page fro the new EF Scale for tornadoes. Obviously this is supposed to be for tornadic damage but it provides damage indicators for various structures, the degree of damage, and the expected strength of the winds. Check it out.

http://www.spc.noaa....e/ef-scale.html

For softwood trees, 1-3" diameter branches could be brought down by winds of approximately 70 mph, and could be completely uprooted by winds of about 85 mph. Those are the "expected" wind speeds, but the lower bounds for each of those are 48 mph and 62 mph, respectively. Now obviously dead trees could be uprooted/broken more easily and I'm sure a wet ground could contribute as well, but wind speeds to cause damage to trees in general may be stronger than you'd expect.

No, basically you had a 40 page thread because most of you are weenies who hump anything that shows something exciting for you. The Trials is complaining today because yesterday he was scared and looked silly while saying it. SNE goes through threads like this all the time, but instead of whining over the lack of weather, they break it down to why it didn't happen that

I'm sorry we are not as good as the SNE'ers. Maybe one day we can approach their awesomeness. However you're talking to the wrong person. I hate severe weather. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Well, take this for what it is worth, but here is the damage indicators page fro the new EF Scale for tornadoes. Obviously this is supposed to be for tornadic damage but it provides damage indicators for various structures, the degree of damage, and the expected strength of the winds. Check it out.

http://www.spc.noaa....e/ef-scale.html

For softwood trees (oak, maple, etc), 1-3" diameter branches could be brought down by winds of approximately 70 mph, and could be completely uprooted by winds of about 85 mph. Now obviously dead trees could be uprooted/broken more easily and I'm sure a wet ground could contribute as well, but wind speeds to cause damage to trees in general may be stronger than you'd expect.

Softwoods are conifers (pine, spruce, etc). Oak and Maple are hardwoods.

Archived