joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2012-2013 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realistically, I could see anything from neutral conditions to moderate El Nino. I guess Nina (weak) can't totally be written off but it seems like an exceedingly low chance given where we're at and what the models are showing. Of course you can only glean so much from ENSO.

Realistically, I could see anything from neutral conditions to moderate El Nino. I guess Nina (weak) can't totally be written off but it seems like an exceedingly low chance given where we're at and what the models are showing. Of course you can only glean so much from ENSO.

I have no idea what the enso state will be, but I am about 98% certain i will enjoy winter of 2012-13 more than 2011-12. When you look at past years that saw such a widespread craptastic winter (remember as bad as it was, our region was one of the luckier ones), the following winter is almost always better. Not that we havent had back-to-back sucky winters, it has happened many times (more often than not from the 1930s clear to the 1960s), but I cant imagine this coming winter being as bad, especially from a snowcover perspective. Now, what will be interesting......is lets say we get a pretty average winter for snowfall/snowcover. Will it seem awesome after last winter, or will it still seem meh since we had a 4-year snowpocalypse prior to last winter? When 2011-12 ended, I thought wow....what on earth will we do when we simply get a "normal" winter...but after getting slapped with just one sucky winter, Im already thinking I would be plenty pleased to simply see normal. However, the near nationwide snowdrought of 2011-12 is screaming for a snowy surplus in 2012-13 (as that happens more often than not in these situations).

I have no idea what the enso state will be, but I am about 98% certain i will enjoy winter of 2012-13 more than 2011-12...

This.

No winter will ever top the last one for futility. Largest single snow event here was a little over 4" lol. I can never remember going a whole winter without getting at least one 6"+ snow event till last winter.

It would have been one thing if it were just this area, but the whole region was very quiet, which meant little to no tracking of at least a decent event for someone else. 2012-2013 will be an improvement, there's no doubt about it.

• 2 weeks later...

This.

No winter will ever top the last one for futility. Largest single snow event here was a little over 4" lol. I can never remember going a whole winter without getting at least one 6"+ snow event till last winter.

It would have been one thing if it were just this area, but the whole region was very quiet, which meant little to no tracking of at least a decent event for someone else. 2012-2013 will be an improvement, there's no doubt about it.

No individual futility records were set at Detroit....

~In 142 years of temp records, there were 5 warmer winters

~In 132 years of snow records, there were 22 winters with less snowfall

~In 132 years of snow records, there were 10 winters (I believe) with less snowcover

~In 132 years of snow records, there were 29 winters with a smaller biggest snowfall of the season

But with that said, when you ball everything together, not to mention the past history of what happens during the winter following such a widespread crappy winter, theres no doubt 2012-13 will be an improvement. How much of one, no one knows...but almost no doubt it will be better!

I think we've past the tipping point...i'll call for another warm winter...especially around the lakes where water temps are going to out of this world warm.

You may very well be right about another mild winter, back to back mild winters have happened dozens of times in the past, but it will still be better than 2011-12. BTW, water temps can cool down very fast much like they warm up very fast...so that is a very premature assumption to say water temps will be out of this world warm.

You may very well be right about another mild winter, back to back mild winters have happened dozens of times in the past, but it will still be better than 2011-12. BTW, water temps can cool down very fast much like they warm up very fast...so that is a very premature assumption to say water temps will be out of this world warm.

Those powerful fall storms acts to churn up the waters and mix up the deeper cooler waters to the surface.

We've had some very productive winters around here the last 5-6 yrs with the exception of last winter. Wouldn't surprise me to see another below average season, but I'd be extremely surprised if we top the futility factor of last season. It's been a strange last 18 months though so I guess you never know.

(this post will probably get bumped sometime next Feb lol)

We've had some very productive winters around here the last 5-6 yrs with the exception of last winter. Wouldn't surprise me to see another below average season, but I'd be extremely surprised if we top the futility factor of last season. It's been a strange last 18 months though so I guess you never know.

(this post will probably get bumped sometime next Feb lol)

I'm fully on the warm bandwagon...that said strange and anomalous weather loaded with extremes seems to be the new normal.

I'm fully on the warm bandwagon...that said strange and anomalous weather loaded with extremes seems to be the new normal.

lol, I thought you didn't do long range forecasting?

Anyways, for those that may be thinking hot summers=warm winters for Chicago...well there is no direct correlation. Top 10 warmest summers on record below and the following winter average temperature/season snowfall.

JJA: 76.4

DJF: 27.9

Season snowfall: 26.3"

JJA: 76.3

DJF: 25.2

Season snowfall: 23.9"

JJA: 75.9

DJF: 28.9

Season snowfall: 11.5"

JJA: 75.5

DJF: 29.9

Season snowfall: 50.9"

JJA: 75.5

DJF: 29.2

Season snowfall: 33.8"

JJA: 75.3

DJF: 26.5

Season snowfall: 58.3"

JJA: 75.3

DJF: 32.3

Season snowfall: 43.2"

JJA: 75.2

DJF: 23.1

Season snowfall: 57.9"

JJA: 75.2

DJF: 28.5

Season snowfall: 32.2"

JJA: 75.1

DJF: 26.6

Season snowfall: 24.5"

Anyways, for those that may be thinking hot summers=warm winters for Chicago...well there is no direct correlation. Top 10 warmest summers on record below and the following winter average temperature/season snowfall.

yeah, it's not really my thing and this isn't the right subforum for it, I just think we're past the tipping point and well on our way to a warmer climate in general....obviously it will still be winter and monster storm potential will be as high as ever...just warmer overall.

yeah, it's not really my thing and this isn't the right subforum for it, I just think we're past the tipping point and well on our way to a warmer climate in general....obviously it will still be winter and monster storm potential will be as high as ever...just warmer overall.

Ah I see. Well I'm not going to touch that one. As you said, "better" places for those discussions.

Ah I see. Well I'm not going to touch that one. As you said, "better" places for those discussions.

I personally think the heatwaves of the last 2 summers have been LONG overdue here (though certainly not welcome). The 2000s had been a pathetic decade for heat, so its unfortunately time. I also know that we are due for an evening out of our snowy 2000s, so I cant really issue a forecast either. But its far from bold to say 2012-13 will be an improvement over 2011-12 :). Hell, you can match 2011-12s 26" of snowfall but if you double the snowcover I will consider it a win and big improvement lol! What I want and whats merely an improvement are 2 different things :lol:

I agree with you. There is no way next winter will be as bad as last winter. It might be milder than normal but still colder than last year. I also believe that storms will be more numerous as well. Hell, I will even take an above average storm in a below average snow season just for some excitement.

Thanks for pulling these Mr. stats man, always appreciate it.

Which will honestly feel great after last winter and what looks to happen this summer.

Take the winter off and save yourself from b2b miserable winters in MKE.. I'll be your tour guide for an epic 2 month mall map collecting and snow chase starting after the new yr.

Take the winter off and save yourself from b2b miserable winters in MKE.. I'll be your tour guide for an epic 2 month mall map collecting and snow chase starting after the new yr.

You never fail to amuse, that's for sure. Seriously, though, I'm thinking if there is a candidate for back to back miserable winters, this would be it, considering a moderate Nino is likely.

You never fail to amuse, that's for sure. Seriously, though, I'm thinking if there is a candidate for back to back miserable winters, this would be it, considering a moderate Nino is likely.

Our luck would be a 1993-94 nino. We stick around for the Holidays and get a whopping 1.2" of snow in Dec. Then we leave for 2 months and Jan snows 27" and Feb 38.7"

Archived