Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA Thread - Summer 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was watching the end of the NASCAR race up in Pocono, that line of storms certainly looked pretty epic up there. Unfortunately it sounds like several folks were struck by lightning at the raceway after the race was called.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2012-08-05/nascar-fans-lightning-pocono-raceway-rain-shortened-race?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Someone was struck by lightning and kiled at Pocono Raceway.

Ugh that is awful. I'm sure this incident is probably going to incite some discussion about making changes with how to handle thunderstorms, as it should. The track people did issue a warning to fans about the incoming storm to seek shelter but apparently didn't outright say evacuate the stands, though the strikes occurred behind the grandstand in the parking lot and near one of the gates. Options for shelter from lightning at a venue like that can be at a premium anyways...especially there. I've never been to Pocono Raceway but a quick Google map of the place will tell you that the track is in the middle of nowhere. There's not really a straightforward way this could have been prevented outside of calling the race well in advance of the thunderstorms, which in this case was doable since it was a pretty well advertised (and severe warned) line of storms..and thats still not a guaranteed thing. Just a sad and unfortunate situation.

Decent shelf cloud approaching Millersville, PA from the west around 4:30 yesterday. Looked a lot better than what it actually produced (.14", 23 mph according to MU obs.). KLNS (about 10 miles north of where this picture was taken) got a 51 mph gust with some reports of trees down and power outages.

post-8058-0-43341300-1344261444_thumb.jp

Looking at a fairly cool night tonight. Lows bottoming out in the high 50's across the SRV and near 50 across the Northern regions.

Could see some nice valley fog in the morning vis. satellite. Plenty of soil moisture and calm winds all night. Central/Northwestern PA always looks good draped in fog.

I take it the excessive heat is gone for the year?

I don't know about extreme heat, but donsutherland's posts are pretty good for medium range stuff and he thinks we are above normal temp-wise through 8/23: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/34633-medium-range-discussion-summer-2012/page__st__175#entry1685158

The other thing to keep in mind, El Nino Septembers tend to be warmer than normal. I wouldn't be surprised to see several 90+ days for Harrisburg in September.

Well the SPC SREF has beefed up the Tornado Parameters on Friday, across Western PA into Central PA, appears to be a chance of a line superells forming on OH/PA border early in the afternoon and moving northeast through the day, a fairly significant outbreak is possible

With an abundance of energy digging at H5 and H3 - the approaching trough and closed low should set up a huge deluge tomorrow. Esp if it can tap the better part of the 2.3 PWAT lying to the south and ready to advect on up with the warm flow.

As for tonight - currently the MUCAPE and best shear lie directly in our region. We'll prob get clocked before it's all said and done from that bundle down near State Line.

Well, I moved to State College today so that I can begin my graduate studies in meteorology at Penn State. I hail from Geneva, Illinois, a suburb of 21,000 people located about 35 miles due west of Chicago, where I have spent nearly my entire life (exception: last summer for an REU program at the National Weather Center in Norman, Oklahoma). In May, I was awarded a BS degree in meteorology from Northern Illinois University. I have posted off and on again in the Central and Lakes sub-forum (and later, the Lakes/Ohio Valley sub-forum) since early 2011. I love snow (and cold to the extent that it is necessary for snow); last winter was a grave disappointment for me. I despise heat and especially humidity though I am a sucker for record-breaking anything.

Now for something related to the current weather ... I did experience a brief shower around 5:30 PM while driving on I-99 between Bellefonte and State College.

Well, I moved to State College today so that I can begin my graduate studies in meteorology at Penn State. I hail from Geneva, Illinois, a suburb of 21,000 people located about 35 miles due west of Chicago, where I have spent nearly my entire life (exception: last summer for an REU program at the National Weather Center in Norman, Oklahoma). In May, I was awarded a BS degree in meteorology from Northern Illinois University. I have posted off and on again in the Central and Lakes sub-forum (and later, the Lakes/Ohio Valley sub-forum) since early 2011. I love snow (and cold to the extent that it is necessary for snow); last winter was a grave disappointment for me. I despise heat and especially humidity though I am a sucker for record-breaking anything.

Now for something related to the current weather ... I did experience a brief shower around 5:30 PM while driving on I-99 between Bellefonte and State College.

Welcome to the meteo department... i'm sure you'll have a great time here!

Say hello to Dr. Fred and Paul for us (LOL) and be sure to watch their airings of Weatherworld. All the best to you as you study under the tutalage (sp?) of the worlds finest met dept. Oh and don't forget to compare your "back home" dairy offerings (read- ice cream) to that which Dr.'s Keeney and Kuhlarah have going on at the creamery (although in my modest opinion, my award winning flavorings and base mix out rank them all 1991 grad of the IC shortcourse - but I may be biased) :axe:

Archived