• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
June 2012 Severe Weather/Convection Discussion

earthlight

It also looks like the main theme this month so far is that the storms tend to reintensify once they hit the immediate coast instead of dying like normal. Probably because of the way above normal SSTs offshore.

Having said that and the anticipation of a strong MCS to impact the area on Sunday morning, I am pulling an all-nighter on Saturday night! I have a good feeling about Brooklyn cashing in on some hail and/or wind. We haven't seen a severe report in a while, so it's overdue. Anyone remember July 2007? :D

No I do not please elaborate there have been many storms my young mind cannot remember.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying that the synoptic setup on Sunday morning will be the same as what happened on July 2007, but Staten Island and Brooklyn received a damaging EF1-EF2 tornado on a morning that preceded a hot and humid day in the 90s. It all occured from a MCS that approached from the west; very few forecasters honed in on the threat until the storm actually developed. We weren't even in a Slight Risk or Severe T-storm watch.

Wow, take a look at the Day 2 SPC outlook for Saturday night! Not only does the 15% Slight Risk area touch NYC, but most of the slight risk area is encompassed in hatching!Hatched outlooks are akin to what the Great Plains and Midwest sees often, but we rarely see them here.

damn your right! lets just hope that comes to fruition though :popcorn:

Not saying that the synoptic setup on Sunday morning will be the same as what happened on July 2007, but Staten Island and Brooklyn received a damaging EF1-EF2 tornado on a morning that preceded a hot and humid day in the 90s. It all occured from a MCS that approached from the west; very few forecasters honed in on the threat until the storm actually developed. We weren't even in a Slight Risk or Severe T-storm watch.

Nvm, my dad was working when it went through and he got a video, it didn't even look like a tornado just a large mass slowly rotating, I'll look to see if I can find it.

yea this setup is earily similar. this MCS is def something to watch for saturday night/sunday morning :underthewx:

Wasn't that August 2007? The only way I remember this storm is from its headline:

Nypost-twister.jpg

Wasn't that August 2007? The only way I remember this storm is from its headline:

Nypost-twister.jpg

I live about a mile from bay ridge and we had a lot of trees down in our are, I went to one of the parks at night and the damage was incredible, the trees and some ligthpoles were completely twisted.

The August 2007 storm was on a warm front with locally enhanced low level shear..the storm developed in Northwest PA and tracked east/southeast through Northern NJ and into NYC.

Earthlight id like to hear your insight about the possibilty of a powerful MCS sunday? Posted earlier hpc had us in 15% slight risk So thats got to mean something considering hpc is usually very good at what they do. Thanks

Earthlight id like to hear your insight about the possibilty of a powerful MCS sunday? Posted earlier hpc had us in 15% slight risk So thats got to mean something considering hpc is usually very good at what they do. Thanks

It looks like we're on the fringe of the potential convective activity right now. The SREF mean has the best severe weather probabilities just off to our south and west. That being said, when you're near an upper air gradient like this you can never be sure. The 06z NAM continued the idea of bringing an MCS through the area (3rd or 4th straight run to do so) but note the position of the vorticity which has sunk a bit to our south.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/WRF_6z/f36.gif

In these type of situations it will be hard to pinpoint the exact track of any organized convection until later tonight or early tomorrow morning. But the very high instability values and 30-40+kts of shear should at least get everyones attention.

Earthlight i believe it was bluewave or isotherm that said MCS tend to happen south of where there forecasted if i interpreted there statement correctly. That being said with the system looking like having the best action to our south and west currently would that mean our chances are not very good at seeing good convection as compared to jersey south? And you right the kind of parameters forecast is going to atleast peaked some people interests. Theres gonna be somebody that will get hit hard for sure if this comes to fruition

Earthlight i believe it was bluewave or isotherm that said MCS tend to happen south of where there forecasted if i interpreted there statement correctly. That being said with the system looking like having the best action to our south and west currently would that mean our chances are not very good at seeing good convection as compared to jersey south? And you right the kind of parameters forecast is going to atleast peaked some people interests. Theres gonna be somebody that will get hit hard for sure if this comes to fruition

Convection will develop, that's almost a certainty with the shortwave and instability.

The shear is actually decently impressive, the SREF mean has a decent probability of 40 or more kts of 0-6km bulk shear. The issue of where it will track will be a problem up until the morning of the event.

Generally my feeling is that we're slightly too far south and a little too far east for this event. But the development and organization of a convective system can change the ball game completely. SPC including hatching for significant severe weather in their outlook is pretty fair given the circumstances...that type of shear with high instability and a forcing mechanism is reason alone. I wouldn't be surprised to see 30% probabilities added later this afternoon if we can begin to pin down an area of most organized storms.

We should start getting a better idea with the 12z guidance including the 12z NAM/SREF and SPC WRF.

Convection will develop, that's almost a certainty with the shortwave and instability.

The shear is actually decently impressive, the SREF mean has a decent probability of 40 or more kts of 0-6km bulk shear. The issue of where it will track will be a problem up until the morning of the event.

Generally my feeling is that we're slightly too far south and a little too far east for this event. But the development and organization of a convective system can change the ball game completely. SPC including hatching for significant severe weather in their outlook is pretty fair given the circumstances...that type of shear with high instability and a forcing mechanism is reason alone. I wouldn't be surprised to see 30% probabilities added later this afternoon if we can begin to pin down an area of most organized storms.

We should start getting a better idea with the 12z guidance including the 12z NAM/SREF and SPC WRF.

Do you have an alternate link for the SPC WRF as the site hasn't been updating recently for me?

Okay so thats big if we ge upgraded to 30% kind of shows the possibility of an A.M. Severe weather outbreak. The parameters are incredible, but your right though where the best development takes place is gonna determine whos gonna be in line for the most severe of storms. Looks like a very busy friday/saturday to pin down this forecast for HPC and you and other knowledgable severe weather people

Yeah, that's the one that I use also. I noticed a message a while back about lack of updates from time to time.

Yeah from what I found out, it has to do with computing issues so they don't run it at times. Generally, though, it's reliable probably 8 out of 10 times. If the 00z doesn't run, the 12z almost always will.

Archived