Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
June 2012 Severe Weather/Convection Discussion

earthlight

12z NAM has a nice MCS coming through early Sunday

It's almost worthless to look at as MCS events are akin to throwing darts blindfolded. I think somewhere in the DCA-BOS corridor could see an MCS in the next several days, but to attempt to pinpoint location is darn near impossible until the complex initiates. From my experience they often end up further S/E than progged, and like to ride b/t the 582 and 588dm height lines.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something crazy got into the NAM for Saturday Night into Sunday -- has a convective vort that touches off a huge convective episode overnight through most of the Northern MA.

http://www.meteo.psu...APA_18z/f60.gif

Speaking of which, wasting a great EML tomorrow afternoon across much of the Northeast.

saw that last year a few times as well. those days you look at the radar and say to yourself what couldve been. i guess we'll see about sunday than. looks good but we've had the rug ripped out from underneath us before earthlight lol

Guest Pamela

i know because i live in the shaft zone, southwest suffolk county only miles from the beach

Yea SW Suffolk is a pretty bad screw zone for severe weather and winter weather,

SE Nassau is the worst screw zone.

I need some perspective and frame of reference....do you mean for the whole earth or just the U.S.?

Guest Pamela

if you really wanna narrow it down, referring to the immediate tri state area. of course i know there are places on earth that can go for years and years without a thunderstorm

My question was quasi-sardonic...though not in a mean spirited way.... :)

Vivid lightning here in Dobbs Ferry and thunder woke me up....starting to rain at 74.2/65.

These thunderstorms will seal the deal for NYC to finish below normal and may affect other stations as well. The temperature should drop dramatically under such heavy rain and ensure that we don't get a super warm overnight low.

It also looks like the main theme this month so far is that the storms tend to reintensify once they hit the immediate coast instead of dying like normal. Probably because of the way above normal SSTs offshore.

Having said that and the anticipation of a strong MCS to impact the area on Sunday morning, I am pulling an all-nighter on Saturday night! I have a good feeling about Brooklyn cashing in on some hail and/or wind. We haven't seen a severe report in a while, so it's overdue. Anyone remember July 2007? :D

Archived