• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe Weather Thread (April 26 - May 3)

David Reimer

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is exactly why I avoid putting light bars, stickers, etc on my car that identify me as a chaser. The only thing on my car is the antenna for the cell signal amplifier.

That's usually the best way to go. Only kind of sticker that I think would help, would be if you were certified first-aid, or some sort of volunteer EMS.

This is exactly why I avoid putting light bars, stickers, etc on my car that identify me as a chaser. The only thing on my car is the antenna for the cell signal amplifier.

That's all I have, and it was enough to get several cops and highway patrolmen to follow me blatantly for long stretches today. Then again, this was near the epicenter of the chaos from April 14 (Dickinson Co. and thereabouts). Meh... I've chased in and near the 35/135/70 triangle over a dozen times since 2006, and never once has it been worth the gas... probably good to have a new deterrent from coming back.

i don't get the lights. i mean maybe if you're a scientific caravan.

Interesting, wonder if it's a local law. I've heard from two others that people were way over the speed limit & getting pulled over.

Technically it is against the law in KS to have any type of flashing light, if you are in a POV. Other then turn signals obviously. Most states are this way also. I think TX is legal, most chasers are saying it is, unknown about OK. I know in NJ, technically even my setup on my POV for going to fire calls is illegal, and all I have is a mini strobe bar on my roof, lol. Most emergency light laws go back many years.

This is a snippet from the actual law.

"The only flashing lights permitted on non-emergency vehicles are turn signals, hazard warning lamps, and warning lights on school, church, and daycare buses."

Back to the conversation about today, it sounds like the PD was strictly after chasers that were speeding, etc. That's why David didn't get pulled over, just asked to shut his light off. If the cop wanted to be a you know what, he could have ticketed David, and would have completely been within the law to do so. It's funny seeing some chasers get in an uproar on FB, talking about doing a major convergence up I-35 and such, like constitutional rights are being broken, too funny. It's simple, don't break the law, and they have no reason to pull you over. If you are breaking the law, while chasing, they have every right to ticket you. Being a chaser doesn't give you rights to do whatever you want, just like as a Firefighter, I can't go around doing Mach 90 to every fire call we have. It's like we say around the firehouse, what good is speeding your ass off to get there, if you wreck, and need help yourself? Granted I wasn't there to see what happened, just speaking my mind on the subject.

This was a COMPLETE bust, but mainly because the forcing stayed north longer than expected, therefore not letting the Dryline Storms develop to fast... Also, the Warm Sector was VERY Narrow, I think had the Warm Sector been a bit bigger (lets say Warm Front goes a bit north of TOP) this might have been more interesting...

Small errors in the overlap of the best parameters makes a huge difference. Great (Terrible) seasons occur when the Mississippi Valley gets way above normal rainfall like 2008 and 2011.

State Police are always uptight about that kind of stuff if they know your an out of state chaser.

Never hurts to have a KS PBA card while chasing (Pulled over twice in 2004 by the States and actually made two new friends lol)

:guitar:

Yeah with sirens you can get to the storm fast.

Back to the conversation about today, it sounds like the PD was strictly after chasers that were speeding, etc. That's why David didn't get pulled over, just asked to shut his light off. If the cop wanted to be a you know what, he could have ticketed David, and would have completely been within the law to do so. It's funny seeing some chasers get in an uproar on FB, talking about doing a major convergence up I-35 and such, like constitutional rights are being broken, too funny. It's simple, don't break the law, and they have no reason to pull you over. If you are breaking the law, while chasing, they have every right to ticket you. Being a chaser doesn't give you rights to do whatever you want, just like as a Firefighter, I can't go around doing Mach 90 to every fire call we have. It's like we say around the firehouse, what good is speeding your ass off to get there, if you wreck, and need help yourself? Granted I wasn't there to see what happened, just speaking my mind on the subject.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this. The state should realize that chasers bring them $$$ though through staying at hotels, buying gas, buying supplies, etc...

It only takes a few bad apples to stereotype every chaser as being 'dangerous' though.

In my opinion, the Police have every reason to ticket and reprimand any chaser speeding or just flat-out breaking the law.

If there was a damaging tornado occurring, the Police and EMS don't have the resources to take care of the people affected by a tornado and the chasers getting into accidents just to see the storm.

In my opinion, the Police have every reason to ticket and reprimand any chaser speeding or just flat-out breaking the law.

If there was a damaging tornado occurring, the Police and EMS don't have the resources to take care of the people affected by a tornado and the chasers getting into accidents just to see the storm.

Yes, but any talk of a "crackdown" or specific targeting of chasers doesn't sit well with me. Chasers aren't the only ones who speed on the highway. If a local doing 71 in a 65 never gets pulled over in X County, a chaser with antennas and stickers shouldn't, either. I agree that some chasers behave recklessly, but they should be dealt with as individuals. TBH, speeding is the least of our problems when it comes to truly dangerous chasers -- extremely unsafe passing (e.g., uphill) on two-lane roads and stopping in the middle of the road to film are a couple examples of the most flagrant violations. Again, crack down on that behavior, not chasing in general.

Storms are beginning to fire along the quasi-warm front/stationary front across N TX and near the Red River. Could see some nice slow moving LP supercell structures with these. A side story to the action across MO/IL.

Given moderate 0-1 km shear, I wouldn't completely rule out the potential for a tor or two along the boundary from OKC to LAW. Have seen sleeper events similar to this a couple times before. However, the window of opportunity is already beginning to close for surface-based storms. Unless initiation occurs within the next 30-45 minutes, it should be exclusively a large hail threat for OK (and possibly a formidable/widespread one, at that).

Given moderate 0-1 km shear, I wouldn't completely rule out the potential for a tor or two along the boundary from OKC to LAW. Have seen sleeper events similar to this a couple times before. However, the window of opportunity is already beginning to close for surface-based storms. Unless initiation occurs within the next 30-45 minutes, it should be exclusively a large hail threat for OK (and possibly a formidable/widespread one, at that).

That first storm south of the Frederick radar just got owned by dry air entrainment. I agree, seems anything farther N will be elevated after the LLJ ramps up and WAA really begins to increase.

http://www.spc.noaa..../md/md0616.html

SVR THUNDERSTORM WATCH 200 HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR NWRN TX AND PORTIONS

OF SWRN/WRN/CNTRL OK. AREA FROM THE RED RIVER N-NEWD WILL BE

MONITORED DURING THE NIGHT FOR POSSIBLE UPGRADE TO TORNADO WATCH.

The CoD crew is in sw OK and Sirvatka thinks the cu will go there soon.

MD out for possible upgrade to a tor watch.

I read Brett's post first....then read the next two. Didn't think they would do a tor watch even with the nicely veering wind profile with height. Thought MLLCL's would be too high...and that DMC would become elevated with time as the boundary layer decouples and the LLJ develops. FWIW I forecast for our AWOC severe weather challenge down here...somewhat mad after I passed up St. Louis at the last second. Big fail on my part.

I read Brett's post first....then read the next two. Didn't think they would do a tor watch even with the nicely veering wind profile with height. Thought MLLCL's would be too high...and that DMC would become elevated with time as the boundary layer decouples and the LLJ develops. FWIW I forecast for our AWOC severe weather challenge down here...somewhat mad after I passed up St. Louis at the last second. Big fail on my part.

The MD wording surprised me a bit, too. But with such ample low-level moisture residing along a boundary, it can be tough to determine exactly when the threat for surface-based storms is over in the evening. That point was driven home to me on 12 Jun 2009... I'd been waiting for storms to fire all day, and was bummed by 9pm when the cap had won. Just after 10pm I heard thunder, so I casually grabbed my camera to go shoot lightning with whatever "elevated" activity was underway (RUC analysis indicated SBCINH < -75 J/kg everywhere). I exited my complex to see a cone tornado doing damage just off to my east. Somewhat flukey, but I guess if you work enough of those type of situations, it probably makes you wary.

Some weak attempts now showing up a bit farther N along I-44.

The MD wording surprised me a bit, too. But with such ample low-level moisture residing along a boundary, it can be tough to determine exactly when the threat for surface-based storms is over in the evening. That point was driven home to me on 12 Jun 2009... I'd been waiting for storms to fire all day, and was bummed by 9pm when the cap had won. Just after 10pm I heard thunder, so I casually grabbed my camera to go shoot lightning with whatever "elevated" activity was underway (RUC analysis indicated SBCINH < -75 J/kg everywhere). I exited my complex to see a cone tornado doing damage just off to my east. Somewhat flukey, but I guess if you work enough of those type of situations, it probably makes you wary.

Some weak attempts now showing up a bit farther N along I-44.

I will definitely trust your experience over mine.

RUC mesoanalysis depicting increasing surface frontogenesis ahead of this non-descript upper disturbance right where the TCU are going...one would think these would go pretty soon if they ever do. Storm south of Lubbock has a nice TBSS.

Archived