• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Thread (April 26 - May 3)

David Reimer

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why anyone would be calling tomorrow a "surprise". There certainly is tornado potential if the NAM is correct with its depiction of a bent-back surface low, mid/upper 60s dewpoints, and strong cap breaking convergence along the Pacific front. There are a couple of warm layers evident in the NAM across the low level warm sector...so that may limit low level buoyancy as well. Nonetheless a threat is there and I don't think anyone is surprised by any depictions.

Well I mean compared to the current SPC percentages, I just mean it looks as though it could get a little more dicey than some expected earlier, considering the lack of hatching / 30%+ probs that are usually red flags. Sorry for the confusion. I do agree that the potential is there.

Well I mean compared to the current SPC percentages, I just mean it looks as though it could get a little more dicey than some expected earlier, considering the lack of hatching / 30%+ probs that are usually red flags. Sorry for the confusion. I do agree that the potential is there.

SPC forecasts probs, not necessarily potential alone. They outlined uncertainty among the position/strength of the surface low in the Day 2...mentioning the potential for a confined area of locally enhanced severe weather. Seems reasonable to me. I can guarantee none of the FO's are unaware of the potential.

00z NAM is rolling in. I am somewhat concerned because Springfield, MO NWS has been increasing their wording today and have now put up a Severe briefing.

http://www.crh.noaa..../?n=webbriefing

I really like the Enhanced HWO Springfield has. Easy for EM's, public, spotters, TV, etc. to use and understand.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/sgf/?n=hwo

I am dubious about those moisture values on the NAM and GFS. They sucked on Wednesday and the path the moisture will be taking is not exactly supportive of such high values. There could be some pooling between the boundaries, but I don't see moisture being as robust as what's being depicted.

I am dubious about those moisture values on the NAM and GFS. They sucked on Wednesday and the path the moisture will be taking is not exactly supportive of such high values. There could be some pooling between the boundaries, but I don't see moisture being as robust as what's being depicted.

I am, to a degree as well, but considering the pool of mid/upper dews are already in place across C OK, it isn't nearly a stretch as it was Wednesday.

Looking at the 00z soundings and current sfc map reveals something interesting. You have good dewpoint pooling in OK and N TX at the sfc. At Dallas, that moisture is extremely shallow. Further N though, in OKC, there is substantial depth to the good moisture, with a prototypical loaded gun sounding. If that moisture depth can translate to the regions of eastern KS tomorrow near the triple point, there could certainly be some problems.

The day 1 is one of the best, most detailed SWODYs I have ever read.

It really was, very detailed.

SOME UNCERTAINTIES REMAIN REGARDING

TIMING/DURATION OF FAVORABLE SFC HEATING/DESTABILIZATION OVER

PORTIONS CENTRAL-ERN KS...OTHERWISE NARROW CORRIDOR OF EVEN GREATER

SVR PROBABILITIES MAY BECOME APPARENT.

This setup resembles 4/14/11 (Tushka) to an extent.

I missed that event and i'll have to miss this event too, due to prior obligations.

You actually read my mind...synoptically this isn't nearly as spectacular, but the position of the Pacific front is close to where the dryline was 4/14/11..and the front has that same arc shape as that event. That event was significantly more unstable too...but there are some similarities.

I won't be chasing later today since it appears chaser convergence will be a problem (again) and Southeast Kansas isn't the most terrain-friendly area. I'll leave it to the forum veterans to forecast, but I am concerned that several high resolution models (NSSL WRF, 06Z RUC) are showing convection developing into Northern Oklahoma, eventually slamming into SW MO and Joplin. If it becomes apparant that storms will build as far south as N/NE OK into SW MO, I might consider making the trip up I-44 from OKC and place my bets. Otherwise, I do expect a prolific tornadic supercell in Eastern Kansas later today. In fact, it could be one of the most photogenic storms of the plains season IMO.

You actually read my mind...synoptically this isn't nearly as spectacular, but the position of the Pacific front is close to where the dryline was 4/14/11. That event was significantly more unstable too...but there are some similarities.

I do like this event a bit more though in the sense that you don't have a closed mid level circulation close to the warm sector, which eventually caused the storm mode to go awry with the Tushka outbreak.

I do like this event a bit more though in the sense that you don't have a closed mid level circulation close to the warm sector, which eventually caused the storm mode to go awry with the Tushka outbreak.

Yeah that cyclone bombed out too much and closed into one tight tropospheric cyclone...bad for the vertical shear profile. Still, it was the sweetest looking sat image in years across the plains. The epitome of synoptic beauty. The atmosphere put on a show that day (minus the Tushka tornado).

I keep posting this...but it is because it was so wicked:

post-999-0-67371100-1335513193.png

Archived