Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Supercells

CT Rain

Imagine June 9th, 1953...

Probably would look pretty similar to 6/1/2011

Well, it's not the 88D, but here's a shot from the then experimental radar at MIT in Lexington:

post-82-0-68156300-1333901107.png

This was when the tornado was over Holden at 455 PM EDT on 6/9/53. At that time, this was the 4th time that a radar image had caught a tornado on the ground in real time. This is from the Worcester Tornado show I put together.

Enjoy!

--Turtle

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does that work with GRlevel II? You still have to go through NCDC? I thought maybe you can access via that product.

You go into HAS on the NCDC website... request the date and time range... and then it pops up with a file for each volume scan. Time consuming if you're looking for a lot but if you're only looking for a couple volume scans it's easy.

I actually downloaded a bunch of RUC bufkit data from the June 1 tornado and am working on putting together something. If you look at the actual sfc obs you can see the channelled flow up the CT River Valley that probably help lead to tornadogenesis as the storm came down from GC. Also a tongue of higher theta-e air resulted in stronger instability right in the valley.

Certainly nothing new for N-S river valleys (Mechanicville, Great Barrington, Cornwall/Hamden 1989, etc) but it seems once again the channelled flow helped the storm go tornadic. Definitely a mini-tornado alley in the river valleys back here in W SNE and E NY with relatively high risk of sig svr compared to other areas around here.

You go into HAS on the NCDC website... request the date and time range... and then it pops up with a file for each volume scan. Time consuming if you're looking for a lot but if you're only looking for a couple volume scans it's easy.

I actually downloaded a bunch of RUC bufkit data from the June 1 tornado and am working on putting together something. If you look at the actual sfc obs you can see the channelled flow up the CT River Valley that probably help lead to tornadogenesis as the storm came down from GC. Also a tongue of higher theta-e air resulted in stronger instability right in the valley.

Certainly nothing new for N-S river valleys (Mechanicville, Great Barrington, Cornwall/Hamden 1989, Windsor Locks, etc) but it seems once again the channelled flow helped the storm go tornadic. Definitely a mini-tornado alley in the river valleys back here in W SNE and E NY with relatively high risk of sig svr compared to other areas around here.

Do you go through the Iowa State site for that?

Yeah N-S valleys seem to be more prone to tornadoes in these parts. Both from enhanced shear and a deeper moist layer of high dews like you mentioned.

Do you go through the Iowa State site for that?

Yeah N-S valleys seem to be more prone to tornadoes in these parts. Both from enhanced shear and a deeper moist layer of high dews like you mentioned.

Yeah BUFKIT archive is through IAState. Goes back only to 2010 though. Not sure of anything that goes back more though.

Has anybody seen this before? It appears to be real, but wondering if anybody saw this or deemed it fake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWkVVKKSpGY&feature=related

I have seen it, but obviously have no idea its validity. There are other home videos of the aftermath that look 'period' and that scene of the towering cu briefly in the distance, looks very much like the pictures that were taken and displayed in the NWS slideshow.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also trying to get severeplot to work but I swear there is a tornado in the early 1950's...might be 1951 or 1952 that took a very similar track to that Waterbury and was on the ground for just as long distance wise.

EDIT:

Well it certainly wouldn't be 1932 b/c there were no confirmed tornadoes in CT during 1952.

I got it.

The event I was thinking of was August 21st, 1951. This was the long-tracked tornado I was thinking about. For some reason I was thinking that this Waterbury tornado was also long-tracked but was not. Once I get severeplot working on my computer instead of using the online version I can zoom in more...tried doing it more online but it wouldn't work.

August 21st, 1951

August211951.jpg

May 24th, 1962:

May24th1962.jpg

On July 21st, 1972, an F2 damaged some homes in my neighborhood in S. Chelmsford. I wasn't living there at the time, but I've spoken to several people who were. Luckily the people who lived in the most heavily damaged house were not home. Rumor has it they had gone down to Fenway for the Red Sox game.

• 1 year later...

My fav supercell is 8/10/00. That thing was out of control.

I might be wrong but is this the cell that dropped a EF2 tornado in Smithfield RI around 330AM because if so I've never seen so much lightning as that one produced and living in Plymouth, MA at the time it was something you don't see that often

I might be wrong but is this the cell that dropped a EF2 tornado in Smithfield RI around 330AM because if so I've never seen so much lightning as that one produced and living in Plymouth, MA at the time it was something you don't see that often

It never dropped a tornado. There was wind damage and some hail as far east as Brockton. I was living just north of you in Marshfield as it passed overhead and I agree...it was a strobe light out of control.

I love playing with the old archived radar files in GR2.

Here's the Ellington-Lyme supercell from June 20, 1995 that dropped baseballs in a bunch of places in rural CT.

It moved due south on a backdoor front and was really beautiful on radar.

The thing was a monster though with 70 dbz to nearly 30kft!

I remember the cell as being originated actually up near Springfiled Mass - no?     I think this image is later in it's life.  

But yeah, I remember that as a great jealousy storm.  We were up safe and sound and bored on the cold side of said BDF up at UML, drooling over radar and sat watching that pig with it's inflow notch and sick core.  It moved due south.   I am surprised there has never been any video surfaced of that storm more up and personal like ...  Usually, someone, somewhere was filming something when one of those happens along.   

Archived