• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Supercells

CT Rain

I was in Taunton at a track meet and the srn edge came through. It picked up the high jump maps and blew them across the field. I remember looking north towards Brockton at the time it just looked so dark and menacing. By the time I got back, I drove around the city and it was carnage everywhere. Even worse in Whitman where the 104mph was measured.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess this just further proves, when you have a steep lapse rate environment (EML in place) along with available moisture and lift...watch out b/c something may happen.

Yeah if you have the CAPE and wind shear to maintain updraft strength, anything can happen.

Winds all day at BDL were light out of the N lol leading up to that thing.

It was sultry through with mid 70s for dews and highs in the mid 90s. Odd with a light northerly wind. What a bizarre storm.

Not much directional shear but tons of CAPE, enough speed shear, an EML overhead, and forcing along a BDCF gave us that beautiful hailer.

I guess this just further proves, when you have a steep lapse rate environment (EML in place) along with available moisture and lift...watch out b/c something may happen.

Yeah it was ballz hot and humid that day plus the EML. You put 75ish dews under such steep lapse rates you're ready to go.

BOS had a high of 88 that morning then the Atlantic Ocean said no thanks.

METAR KBOS 201500Z 07017KT 7SM BKN040 27/16 A2982 RMK WSHFT CFROPA TCU RWU NW/ 8/200/ 52025; SLP100 T02670161

Yeah if you have the CAPE and wind shear to maintain updraft strength, anything can happen.

Winds all day at BDL were light out of the N lol leading up to that thing.

It was sultry through with mid 70s for dews and highs in the mid 90s. Odd with a light northerly wind. What a bizarre storm.

Not much directional shear but tons of CAPE, enough speed shear, an EML overhead, and forcing along a BDCF gave us that beautiful hailer.

LI's were -6C on the ALB sounding at 0z...that's pretty damn decent. I'd also be willing to bet you had LI's as low as -8C or even -9C given those temps/dews along with the EML...that will do it.

Yeah it was ballz hot and humid that day plus the EML. You put 75ish dews under such steep lapse rates you're ready to go.

BOS had a high of 88 that morning then the Atlantic Ocean said no thanks.

METAR KBOS 201500Z 07017KT 7SM BKN040 27/16 A2982 RMK WSHFT CFROPA TCU RWU NW/ 8/200/ 52025; SLP100 T02670161

Talk about some BDCF. Had to suck for people in Boston that day...sweat your ass off in the AM and bring out the light jacket by the PM :lol:

I've seen that so many times.

I think I would hate that...especially being someone who is usually always cold. Even I don't wear a light jacket now when it's into the 80's or 90's but if it were to drop back in to the 60's or even 70's from that and I didn't have my light jacket handy I'd be pissed.

Now THAT is special...to get something like that at night here is quite remarkable.

I missed this particular page/report years ago...impressive stuff.

http://www.erh.noaa....htm#Preliminary Local Storm Report

One example of the degree of damage was at 53 Vassar Road, near the intersection with Manetti. The resident of the dwelling was in her yard, and willing to talk to me and show me around. She said that the storm struck with continuous lightning, large hail, heavy rain and a wall of wind at approximately 12:30 AM on Thursday. There were two cars in the driveway, both of which had been crushed by a pair of one foot diameter trees which had fallen across them. An 18 inch diameter oak tree had been uprooted and dropped across the corner of her living room, crushing about a 10 foot section of the corner of her house. Bits of leaves had been embedded in the vinyl siding of her house, leading to my estimate of 90 to 120 mph winds having caused the damage.

Archived