• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Supercells

CT Rain

I love playing with the old archived radar files in GR2.

Here's the Ellington-Lyme supercell from June 20, 1995 that dropped baseballs in a bunch of places in rural CT.

It moved due south on a backdoor front and was really beautiful on radar.

The thing was a monster though with 70 dbz to nearly 30kft!

post-40-0-56826900-1333830161.png

post-40-0-19565200-1333830170.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the Vernon storm It moved right over my house where I grew uP. I remember early bing it come down from Mass on TWC radar. We had golf balls and a couple tennis balls mixed in. It broke skylights on many houses and dented every car in the area. They issued a Tor in Ellington for that. That was my fave severe storm.

Can you do the supercell that moved through Litchfield county on 5/31/98...was like 8:30 PM or so if I remember correctly.

Working on it. Just pulled up an ENX image from 22z and it's wild. Monster supercell west of Albany in Otsego County and a monster squall line from GC to Socks.

That was the Vernon storm It moved right over my house where I grew uP. I remember early bing it come down from Mass on TWC radar. We had golf balls and a couple tennis balls mixed in. It broke skylights on many houses and dented every car in the area. They issued a Tor in Ellington for that. That was my fave severe storm.

Yeah that storm was wild. It actually peaked over Lyme.... but it's so rural down there it didn't do as much damage as places up north around Vernon.

Agreed, it is fortunate the tornado wasn't hitting a whole lot when it maxed out east of Springfield.

Yeah the 6/1/2011 supercell was probably one of the most photogenic on radar that you'll ever see. It was truly textbook in every sense of the word.

Working on it. Just pulled up an ENX image from 22z and it's wild. Monster supercell west of Albany in Otsego County and a monster squall line from GC to Socks.

That's the Mechanicville F3 cell right? That cell was freaking scary...from everything I read that scared the crap out of every forecaster from that area.

That storm formed on a backdoor front which is somewhat rate to get a storm that strong forming along a backdoor

It was probably one of those weird over the top EML layers (or at least steep mid level lapse rates) that got shunted almost due south into the region. That's what happened in May 2010 when there was that swath of wind damage from BTV to Moneypitmike's area. That can happen. Vortex 95 told me a story that back in the 80s..we had this ULL just east of us and tstms would form and actually move in from the NNE! Sometimes they formed in the Gulf of Maine.

Yeah the 6/1/2011 supercell was probably one of the most photogenic on radar that you'll ever see. It was truly textbook in every sense of the word.

It was comparable to some of the stuff we saw on 4/27 last year and 3/2 of this year.

It was probably one of those weird over the top EML layers (or at least steep mid level lapse rates) that got shunted almost due south into the region. That's what happened in May 2010 when there was that swath of wind damage from BTV to Moneypitmike's area. That can happen. Vortex 95 told me a story that back in the 80s..we had this ULL just east of us and tstms would form and actually move in from the NNE! Sometimes they formed in the Gulf of Maine.

I had 2 severe storms that night. 1 severe hail and 1 severe wind. That was wild.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1995/us0620.php

Yeah Wiz, go back to the PSU NARR site. Look at the origin of the airmass. Over the top steep lapse rates advected SE by the trough north of Maine.

That's actually freaking amazing. I never have actually thought of that until now. You can certainly see the EML even better here on the CYX sounding from 12z

1995062012.74389.skewt.gif

Archived