mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
April 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all.. BTW It's indicating 63 at UGN not Kenosha.. And he did say the map was approximate with temps bouncing around a bit due to clouds/rain.

Yeah I got 66° now. Few clouds building up. Actually as of 1:30pm the skies are getting quite cloudy.

This is warm as the NAM shows it here today. Almost 70°! But not quite.

temp8.gif

If I'm reading this correctly, the max wind was 56 mph at 1816z. Doesn't specify if it is max gust so I assume this means 56 mph sustained. Correct me if I'm wrong.

CYKF is about 10 miles south of here.

METAR CYKF 161900Z AUTO 22031G43KT 9SM FEW043 23/11 A2970 RMK SLP055

DENSITY ALT 2500FT MAX WND 20049KT AT 1816Z=

That would be the highest wind (gust) assuming it works the same in Canada as in the US.

Late reply, but appears so. EC confirms CYKF Region of Waterloo Int'l max gust was 58 mph.

Here on the other hand... I estimate the winds were gusting to 60-70mph at one point. Several trees were snapped, and the city is still a mess of small and large branches everywhere. Hydro lines also came down, and some of the oddest reports are of traffic lights that snapped free of their poles and were laying on the road. They don't dangle off wires here - they are connected to metal or concrete posts. Waterloo Regional Police shut down a couple stretches of major roads on the west side of the city due to wind damage, and a lot of people were without hydro. There were also dust storms in the rural areas. Pretty neat stuff.

DTW temp is sitting at +2.7 for the month so far.

Also a precip departure of -.60 showing how dry it has been. The rains of this past weekend didn't do jack **** around here, at least (IMBY).

Your area had almost an inch for the weekend, down here we ended up around .8" for the weekend, it made a difference.

Heavy clouds have taken over late this afternoon. Topped off at 69° IMBY. I think I felt a few raindrops outside as well. +2.3 for the month, including today (as it stands now). Next 3-4 days will chip away at that +2.3 a bit with temperatures staying below normal.

01-02, 02-03 were back to back low yielding snowfall winters around here.

Many, many times have there been back-to-back if not back-to-back-to-back low yielding snowfall winters. This region has been spoiled rotten as of late...we have gone 4, 5 years in a stretch of crappy snowfall winters many moons ago. I was talking about the low probability of seeing an all around crappy winter (with well above normal temps, below normal snow, and well below normal snowcover). If we have an exact match of snowfall next winter as this one, but it is cold and the snowcover lasts...it will seem like a world of difference.

Your area had almost an inch for the weekend, down here we ended up around .8" for the weekend, it made a difference.

DTW is +0.90" for the year. After the wettest year on record, closer to normal precip may seem dry, but its not. As a sufferer of mold allergies, i can tell you that was with us all winter (frequent rain and snow that melted quickly), and now in spring it was nice to have a few week break from wettness.

DTW is +0.90" for the year. After the wettest year on record, closer to normal precip may seem dry, but its not. As a sufferer of mold allergies, i can tell you that was with us all winter (frequent rain and snow that melted quickly), and now in spring it was nice to have a few week break from wettness.

Yeah I understand from a mold allergy approach, however I'd like for us to maintain rainfall at least until June so we don't setup drought conditions for the summer and end up hot as hell.

Yeah I understand from a mold allergy approach, however I'd like for us to maintain rainfall at least until June so we don't setup drought conditions for the summer and end up hot as hell.

Mold spores bother me too, but at a really high level. When the mold spore counts are sky high (like 40,000+); usually during hot, rainy weather, I feel lousy! Otherwise I'm good until Ragweed season.

70s with occasional rain during the summer would be fine with me.

Stebo..

I took today off to work in my yard and perform spring clean up. The ground was hard as a rock. Dry soils well below 3 inches was discovered. It's so dry that when I fired up the mower it made a small dust cloud with each pass near uncovered soil. It's dry.

With regards to the drought one can only hope we receive more rain in the next couple of weeks. Personally the heat doesn't phase me one bit but my garden and lawn think different.

That is dry. Seems drier then here. All that wind/sun/low dew point air just sucks the moisture out of the soil...along with the lack of snow cover this winter probably adds to it.

I need to plant a few trees, probably tomorrow, so i'll get a better idea of how the moisture level is here. I use a lot of mulch in my plantings, which helps a lot.

Temp dropping fast here...skies cleared out almost completely this evening ...winds are out of the NW now.

That is dry. Seems drier then here. All that wind/sun/low dew point air just sucks the moisture out of the soil...along with the lack of snow cover this winter probably adds to it.

I need to plant a few trees, probably tomorrow, so i'll get a better idea of how the moisture level is here. I use a lot of mulch in my plantings, which helps a lot.

Temp dropping fast here...skies cleared out almost completely this evening ...winds are out of the NW now.

what the ole saying..

"Drought breeds drought"

There was a great write-up in NE thread about this particular term and if it holds true scientifically.

Stebo..

I took today off to work in my yard and perform spring clean up. The ground was hard as a rock. Dry soils well below 3 inches was discovered. It's so dry that when I fired up the mower it made a small dust cloud with each pass near uncovered soil. It's dry.

With regards to the drought one can only hope we receive more rain in the next couple of weeks. Personally the heat doesn't phase me one bit but my garden and lawn think different.

Weird because on the Eastside my yard was like swamp grounds until today.

Weird because on the Eastside my yard was like swamp grounds until today.

I was up in shelby this evening and it was dry there. Not sure you might be sitting better off and not built or residing on the sandy hell of Oakland county! Its hard to grow anything. FWIW you could be in a low area?

We've been kinda dry in this region so far. My soil conditions are pretty good after that 2" of rain this weekend. Preparing for another 1.5" or better the next 2 days.

Calm before the storm so to speak right now here. Still mild in the upper 50s, little wind.

14dPDataUS.png

@SpartyOn: A sandy soil does not help matters any! Bigger the pore spaces in between soil particles the faster moisture will be wicked/drained away.

Lightning associated with the cells in northern Illinois. Southern WI looks like storms, but TMKE isn't detecting any cells there.

Ok... was sort of wondering whether the front was setting off some convection or not.

Missing out on a intense shower over Waukegan right now. Not noticing any lightning.

Archived