mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
April 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro warms us up at day 7, but blows another cold front through right afterwards...another warm day of hurricane winds followed by more chilly air...rinse/repeat.

it's actually frightening how much in agreement both 12z runs are. I don't think I've ever seen this kind of agreement...

For the northern tier neither model has any sustained warmth.

euro is nice up here.. nothing to warm or to cold.. few rain chances. Just how April should be.

Yeah, like the textbook ugly cold rain system late Thursday into Friday. MKX not ruling out 2-2.5" of cold, yucky rain. We always seem to get most of our precip from these ugly chilly/cold rain systems.

Bathwater Lake MI doing a great job of warming us up to just where you don't need a beer koozie. Wonder if Geos cracked 32 degrees today.

Cool, Mt. Waukegan today... the high of the day is right now, 46°. Might get to 47° if the lake wind were to slacken a bit!

The bathtub today!

mswt-00.gif

That buoy east of Racine is registering 39° right now.

Down to 34 early this morning, but it warmed all the way up to 61 to make for a nice day.

The last flakes here were March 4th. Earliest last flakes hands down that I've ever seen here. The whole winter will go down as the most uneventful one I can remember. Greatest single snow event never topped 4". Just bizarre, but we were overdue for a stinker. At least next winter can't be any worse in any way.

Down to 34 early this morning, but it warmed all the way up to 61 to make for a nice day.

The last flakes here were March 4th. Earliest last flakes hands down that I've ever seen here. The whole winter will go down as the most uneventful one I can remember. Greatest single snow event never topped 4". Just bizarre, but we were overdue for a stinker. At least next winter can't be any worse in any way.

You've been around long enough to know to never say it can't be any worse when it comes to weather. I'm not being superstitious but.......well, maybe I am. lol

This is not looking good?

Friday Night nt_chancesnow.gif Overcast with a chance of rain in the evening, then clear with a chance of snow and rain showers. Low of 25F with a windchill as low as 12F. Breezy. Winds from the NNE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 50% .

Saturday partlycloudy.gif Clear in the morning, then overcast. High of 45F. Breezy. Winds from the NNE at 15 to 20 mph.

Saturday Night nt_mostlycloudy.gif Mostly cloudy. Low of 23F with a windchill as low as 12F. Winds from the NE at 5 to 15 mph.

Last flakes here April 11th, biggest event imby was 4.9" but next up was 2.5" (two different times) then a slew of 1-2" deals. Agree we were overdue for a stinker...but dont jinx next winter LOL. In my 17 winters of weather observing, this was the least snowy winter I recorded (25.5" which beat out 27.2" in 1997-98) and also the least amount of 1"+ snowcover days (20 days which beat out out 31 days in 1997-98). But that said, looking at 140 years of data, it CAN get worse, actually by quite a margin, we just havent seen it (I would assume the same could be said for area). And its even not out of the realm of possibility to have 2 back-to-back disaster winters (happened a few times in the 1930s-50s). But its very unlikely and I give next winter a 98% chance of being more pleasing to the winter lover in 2012-13 than in 2011-12.

Just like last time the day I come back from Florida will be the coldest in awhile. Coming back Friday night.

Keeping the hotel room in the 60s so I don't completely lose my cold tolerance.

Haha, there ya go! You might miss the chance at seeing some wet snow flakes in Madison, but it looks to be chilly that night.

Down to 37° here tonight.

Just like last time the day I come back from Florida will be the coldest in awhile. Coming back Friday night.

Keeping the hotel room in the 60s so I don't completely lose my cold tolerance.

Are you sure you don't have it in the 60's because it's just awesome to turn the air all the way up at a hotel and have a chilly room when it's hot out?

Last flakes here April 11th, biggest event imby was 4.9" but next up was 2.5" (two different times) then a slew of 1-2" deals. Agree we were overdue for a stinker...but dont jinx next winter LOL. In my 17 winters of weather observing, this was the least snowy winter I recorded (25.5" which beat out 27.2" in 1997-98) and also the least amount of 1"+ snowcover days (20 days which beat out out 31 days in 1997-98). But that said, looking at 140 years of data, it CAN get worse, actually by quite a margin, we just havent seen it (I would assume the same could be said for area). And its even not out of the realm of possibility to have 2 back-to-back disaster winters (happened a few times in the 1930s-50s). But its very unlikely and I give next winter a 98% chance of being more pleasing to the winter lover in 2012-13 than in 2011-12.

Haha, anything is possible, but I'm definitely not worried about jinxing next winter. If next winter ends up worse than this last one it would have to be an extraordinarily erroneous season, which would actually be interesting in itself. I wouldn't be surprised to have another low quality winter, but I can't see anything topping this past one for lack of snow and cold.

EDIT: just speaking for this (DVN) specific area.

01-02, 02-03 were back to back low yielding snowfall winters around here.

The signature beautiful day of the week?. Its top shelf out there ATM. Not a cloud in the sky under a blanket of Aegean blue skies with clean crisp air. Honestly its days like this that make me weather weenie out. Decided to take another personal day to enjoy this before the dreadful 50s and rain roll in for the weekend into next week. Going morel hunting again today then another Beer:30. April 2012 FTW. San Diego weather since Feb!! loving it!

:weenie:

The signature beautiful day of the week?. Its top shelf out there ATM. Not a cloud in the sky under a blanket of Aegean blue skies with clean crisp air. Honestly its days like this that make me weather weenie out. Decided to take another personal day to enjoy this before the dreadful 50s and rain roll in for the weekend into next week. Going morel hunting again today then another Beer:30. April 2012 FTW. San Diego weather since Feb!! loving it!

:weenie:

Same conditions here so far! This is great weather (little cooler here though by the water). :weenie:

Currently 57° with a SE Wind, low 36° this morning.

Archived