• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Your Most Impressive DC Area Weather-Related Events?

needbiggerboat

We seem to be stacking up notable weather and climate related events in recent times.

What are your most impressive DC area experiences, based on your frame of reference? Top 3, 5 or 10. It could be a brief event, or a whole season.

I've been in the area since 77, so I'll start with my top 10:

1. March 2012 - Anomalous warmth. It's not over yet, but any month approaching +10 is insane.
  2. September 2003 - Aftermath of Isabel. Neighbors and friends lost homes and cars. Potomac flood waters stopped 50 feet from my doorstep.
  3. Winter 09/10 - The obvious benchmark for anomalous seasonal snowfall.
  4. Feb 10, 2010 - Morning blizzard conditions. It was quick, but amazing.
  5. July 2011 - Anomolous heat. A good preview for those of us going to hell.
  6. Feb 5-6, 2010. 30 inches of snow IMBY.
  7. Feb 2003 - PD II. Took me days to dig out my car.
  8. Winter of 1987. Snowfall. Missed many days of school that I didn't need to make up.
  9. Feb 2007. Sleetfest. Digging sleet sucks.
  10. Jan 1996 - Snowfall. Former champion now takes a backseat to others, IMHO.

In the area since '04

Top 10

1) Feb 5/6, 2010 - Not really a question. When coupled with 9/10, our street didn't get plowed for a week. The one that everyone has a story for.

2) July 2011 heat - I put this one a step above because it is not only the hottest July, but hottest month on record

3) March 2012 heat - this is just absurd

4) Summer 2010 heat and 90° records (incl June 2010 record)

5) Tropical Storm Lee remnants Sept 2011 (10"+ IMBY)

6) Dec 19, 2009 - my first big east coast storm

7) Feb 9/10 superband - classic northern plains looking blizzard, rated lower because I only got 9" or so

8) June 4th 2008 Derecho - for the radar alone (and the loss of power for 2 days)

9) June 25/26, 2006 thunderstorms - over 9" at DCA

10) Spring 2010 record warmth - overlooked, but once the snow melted, we were off to the races

Honorable Mention

Oct 7/8, 2005 rain - tropical remnants totaling over 7" at DCA. Five consecutive 6 hourly totals of 1"+

Sleetfest Feb '07

We seem to be stacking up notable weather and climate related events in recent times.

What are your most impressive DC area experiences, based on your frame of reference? Top 3, 5 or 10. It could be a brief event, or a whole season.

I've been in the area since 77, so I'll start with my top 10:

1. March 2012 - Anomalous warmth. It's not over yet, but any month approaching +10 is insane.
  2. September 2003 - Aftermath of Isabel. Neighbors and friends lost homes and cars. Potomac flood waters stopped 50 feet from my doorstep.
  3. Winter 09/10 - The obvious benchmark for anomalous seasonal snowfall.
  4. Feb 10, 2010 - Morning blizzard conditions. It was quick, but amazing.
  5. July 2011 - Anomolous heat. A good preview for those of us going to hell.
  6. Feb 5-6, 2010. 30 inches of snow IMBY.
  7. Feb 2003 - PD II. Took me days to dig out my car.
  8. Winter of 1987. Snowfall. Missed many days of school that I didn't need to make up.
  9. Feb 2007. Sleetfest. Digging sleet sucks.
  10. Jan 1996 - Snowfall. Former champion now takes a backseat to others, IMHO.

Don't think I can come up with 10 at the moment, but my tops out here in the Shenandoah Valley would be...

1. Jan 6 -8, 1996 - Snowfall. Nothing else measures up in my lifetime. 37 inches measured inside town limits of Front Royal.

2. Feb 1983 - Snowfall. Second greatest snowfall. 10 - 13F, thundersnow, and 32 inches in Warren County in under 16 hours.

3. Oct 10, 1979 - Snowfall. Surprise snowstorm in the middle of the night, intense thundersnow, 14" in Warren County by morning. Unbelievable tree damage.

4. Winter 09-10. 60" total in Front Royal, not as much as most locations to the east, but the most I've ever measured in a winter.

5. Summer 2010. Started in early April and lasted until almost October. I believe we had 7 or 8 100F+ that year, and too many 90F+ days to count.

6. July 2011. Just F'in brutal. All-time highest temp of 107F. That it came on the heels of the eipic 2010 summer just made it worse.

7. Feb 2003 - Snowfall. Double storms, and temps around 3F during the Sunday snowstorm. 21" total.

8. Jan 1985 - Cold. Artic outbreak Inauguration day weekend. Remember the highs falling into negative territory throughout the day on Sat with ridiculous wind and resulting wind chills. Beleive a record low of -12F was reached that next night.

9. Nov 1985 - Record flooding on the Shenandoah. Schools closed for almost a week.

10. Sep 2003. Isabel. Effects not that great out here, some river flooding, and moderate flash flooding, but it's not often a legitimate tropical storm impacts our area. I was alive for Agnes ('72?) but was too young to recall it.

Ok, I did come up with 10.

Lived in the burbs from 9/82 to 8/06. The biggest impacts on me personally were:

1) Feb 1983- Had it all

2) Jan 1996- Snowbound

3) Jul 2005- Microburst with 70-90 mph winds when I was preparing to leave work for the night.

4) Jan/Feb 1994- Epic Ice and Cold

5) Sep 2003- Power out for 5 days and a tree through the house directly across my street

6) Jun 2006- Awesome flooding

7) Jan 1987- Best snow cover in my time there

8) Feb 2003- Nice long event, but never snowed in

9) Jan 1985- A great cold wave

10) Tie between Nov 1987 and Jan 2000 for the great surprises

(not in order of importance) for my 30 odd years of living:

• 2002 LaPlata Tornado (10th anniversary this April 28th!!!)
  • 1983 Blizzard
  • 2002/03 Winter Season & PDII
  • 2009/10 Winter Season
  • 1990 Kensington Tornado (cause it hit my house...almost killed me)
  • 1999 Hurricane Floyd (although not really that bad right in DC)
  • There was a heat wave in the 1990s, but not sure it counts since I don't remember much.

Would have been on the list if I was in town when it happened:

• College Park Tornado
  • 1999 Ice Storm (Jan)
  • 1998 Frostburg Tornado (although it is a stretch for DC area)
  • Hurricane Isabel remnants
  • Hurricane Ivan remnants/Tornado outbreak

Honorable Mention:

• 2011 VA Earthquake

Future:

• American Weather Conference II (July 2012)

Isabel was great - I was trapped by the rising waters in the middle of the Georgetown waterfront and had to wade waist-deep to Virginia Avenue.

There was also a microcell in August of '01, I think it was, that dropped 3" in about ten minutes, in the same area It was insane - flooded all the roads around me for several hours.

Here's Mine: (Not in order)

Isabel

Last Year's flooding (September Lee+Katia+Extratropical Deluge)

Snowmaggeddon (1 and 2) 2010

October 13 2011 NE of Burke Tornado (went 2 miles from my house)

Super Sleet event (2007 I think)

President's Day 2003

June 5, 2008 (Had 3 separate hail events, second one had quarter size, in one day of severe weather)

Super Sleet event (2007 I think)

Was that in like December? I do remember where we had a ton of sleet and freezing rain. I just had surgery in November, but I remember the parking area near my house was 1/4 inch thick smooth ice and I went sliding back and fourth on it (even though I was in pain and still had staples from the transplant surgery).

Was that in like December? I do remember where we had a ton of sleet and freezing rain. I just had surgery in November, but I remember the parking area near my house was 1/4 inch thick smooth ice and I went sliding back and fourth on it (even though I was in pain and still had staples from the transplant surgery).

I think he's referring to the February 2007 sleetstorm around Valentine's day.............which had several inches of sleet in many areas.

I think he's referring to the February 2007 sleetstorm around Valentine's day.............which had several inches of sleet in many areas.

Yeah, some friends and I invented a dangerous sport called "people bowling" when a few people would stand next to each other and one would run towards them, then slide into them trying to knock them all down.... Dangerous and fun.

Yeah, some friends and I invented a dangerous sport called "people bowling" when a few people would stand next to each other and one would run towards them, then slide into them trying to knock them all down.... Dangerous and fun.

I should probably add that storm to my list.........it was unlike any other winter storm that I can remember, and while I didn't do anything like "people bowling", I did have fun running on the ice and then letting myself slide, even though it was risky.

Archived