Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The 2012 Outdoor Sports Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been out golfing yet this year, been too busy putting my Mustang back on the road. ...took it to work yesterday, so I think that I'm almost done.

I was thinking about joining Greenfield Country Club, as they have a 2-for-1 special. $700 seems like a very good price per person for a membership there. Of course, they no longer have a clubhouse since it burned to the ground last fall.

I live right across the street from Crumpin Fox, and it's a course that I love. I only play it a few times a year, it's kinda pricey ...in the evenings, I like to take my kids out on the fifth green and practice my short game while they fart around putting and chipping and playing in the sand.

Last November, after the course closed, I spent an hour and a half wandering the edge of the pond on the 8th hole with a ball retriever. Needless to say, I'm good on balls for a while. I almost filled a 5-gallon pail, and pretty much half of them are Prov1's, Nike Ones, Callaway Tours, or very good Bridgestones.

390_crumpin_8.jpg

I haven't been out golfing yet this year, been too busy putting my Mustang back on the road. ...took it to work yesterday, so I think that I'm almost done.

I was thinking about joining Greenfield Country Club, as they have a 2-for-1 special. $700 seems like a very good price per person for a membership there. Of course, they no longer have a clubhouse since it burned to the ground last fall.

I live right across the street from Crumpin Fox, and it's a course that I love. I only play it a few times a year, it's kinda pricey ...in the evenings, I like to take my kids out on the fifth green and practice my short game while they fart around putting and chipping and playing in the sand.

Last November, after the course closed, I spent an hour and a half wandering the edge of the pond on the 8th hole with a ball retriever. Needless to say, I'm good on balls for a while. I almost filled a 5-gallon pail, and pretty much half of them are Prov1's, Nike Ones, Callaway Tours, or very good Bridgestones.

390_crumpin_8.jpg

I haven't played Crumpinfox yet though I want to.

Leaving work early to play my first round. Would like to break 90 but that may be pushing it. It will be my earliest VT round ever by about 3 weeks.

Well only got to play 9 today instead of the planned 18. Got stuck in the mud on the way to the course. Ruts were over a foot deep and had the misfortune of sliding off the ridges I was rIding on. Mud season is alive and well in Vermont! When I finally got to the course my buddy had gotten tired of hanging around and left. I shot a 44 with a nice solid regulation par on the first hole of the season. Considering what it took for me to get to the course, I'm pretty happy with the 44.

I am starting my 3rd season golfing.

For some reason when I have an uphill lie, combined with the ball being above my feet, I get uncomfortable and slice the shot 90% of the time.

Now usually that's considered a hook lie, not for me though.

F*ckin' golf.lol I would think pulling it left would be the more likely result. This is my 4th season as an avid player. Such fun.

390_crumpin_8.jpg

I tried qualifying at GCC for the US mid am last year. Was an interesting course. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play a practice round and shot 80. The course was in rough condition but the greens were good. Interesting layout and would be a fun course to be a member. Fairways were real bad but if you play preferred lies wouldn't be a problem. Price sounds like a good price and deal.

Crumpin used to be good, then was a bit sketchy for a while. I haven't played there in years, would love to go. Count me in.

You need to take a day trip down to Southwick and play The Ranch. And then there is Westover. One of the best courses in the state IMO. Dirt cheap too, sketchy conditions but what a track.

I tried qualifying at GCC for the US mid am last year. Was an interesting course. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play a practice round and shot 80. The course was in rough condition but the greens were good. Interesting layout and would be a fun course to be a member. Fairways were real bad but if you play preferred lies wouldn't be a problem. Price sounds like a good price and deal.

Crumpin used to be good, then was a bit sketchy for a while. I haven't played there in years, would love to go. Count me in.

You need to take a day trip down to Southwick and play The Ranch. And then there is Westover. One of the best courses in the state IMO. Dirt cheap too, sketchy conditions but what a track.

The greens at GCC are some of the best in the area.

My brother-in-law was a member at the ranch for several years, I have played it a few times. Outstanding course.

I haven't played westover, but have been wanting to for several years.

Anybody ever played Shattuck up by mt monadnock? I found it to be a very hard, beautiful course. Its pricey for what it is though... It has sooo much potential but I feel its very neglected.

The greens at GCC are some of the best in the area.

My brother-in-law was a member at the ranch for several years, I have played it a few times. Outstanding course.

I haven't played westover, but have been wanting to for several years.

Anybody ever played Shattuck up by mt monadnock? I found it to be a very hard, beautiful course. Its pricey for what it is though... It has sooo much potential but I feel its very neglected.

Played it a few yrs ago, you describe it as I remember. But then again, that's my recollection of crumpin fox though. Maybe I hit it on a down cycle or something.

76 today. 2 birds, an eagle but 2 doubles and a triple. trending in the right direction though.....

Played it a few yrs ago, you describe it as I remember. But then again, that's my recollection of crumpin fox though. Maybe I hit it on a down cycle or something.

76 today. 2 birds, an eagle but 2 doubles and a triple. trending in the right direction though.....

The double's are a real round killer, Did you have to adjust the triple?

Not much of a golfer--once or twice a year. It is fun and I have a lot of Scots in the tree, so I imagine it's only a matter of time before I take it up for real. I'm letting it happen naturally. ;)

Otherwise, summertime finds me in the canoe, sailing, or riding my motorcycle (which, depending on one's bike and style of riding, can actually be a fairly physical endeavour). I haven't been out on any of the waters yet (lakes or the CT River around here) but I've taken a couple spins on the bike. I could have been out more but work has beckoned. Long summer ahead...

The double's are a real round killer, Did you have to adjust the triple?

I'm struggling with the driver a bit and hitting it on holes I would never usually hit driver to keep getting real reps with it. Causing me to get in some bad situations lol. I can only take a double per GHIN but the 76 was unadjusted. If I could post I would have posted a 75 but Maine doesn't post until early April I think, not sure.

yeah, doubles are a killer. We play "pins and skins" so the name of the game is to make birds and fire at pins, some of which under tourney conditions I never would fire at. But sometimes it pays off, usually not. Nice to get so many rounds in early and get a bit ahead of schedule with some of the big qualifiers early in the season. I switched all my wedges to x100 shafts this year and I'm noticing I'm hitting them much better and have been really solid getting up and down and chipping and pitching. If chipped in 3x already this year and knocked quite a few stiff, which was a problem for me last year. But I'm way to inconsistent with the driver and as anyone who plays knows, you need to drive it in play. 3wood off the tee hasn't been good either, that is the next club to go x-stiff too. It's odd because I don't have the swing speed that would warrant it per the charts, but the way I load the club (I go after it hard) I think helps me. I lose distance with irons but I really don't care if I hit 8iron instead of 9 iron when I know it's going to go straight and not hook off the planet. It's mostly confidence. That's where I need reps with the driver so that I have a confident swing and not the hold ons etc that I'm hitting now.

This is all pretty standard stuff and soon it will be all back to the green where I'll hit it to 15ft all day and not make a putt. Maddening.

Nice.

short par 5 (505), about 15 yrds over the green and chipped it in. I've had about 6 good eagle bids so far. Been feast or famine on the par 5s this year. That's what happens when you go for a 240 shot with trouble lurking. Birdie or double........I don't usually like to lay up though, always figure I can pull off the shot. I tend to go over conservative in tourneys though, grind our pars a few bogies and miss by 1 or 2. Going to change it up this year and go super aggressive so trying to get that mindset burned in early. Probably won't matter but need to try something.....always trying something...

I'm struggling with the driver a bit and hitting it on holes I would never usually hit driver to keep getting real reps with it. Causing me to get in some bad situations lol. I can only take a double per GHIN but the 76 was unadjusted. If I could post I would have posted a 75 but Maine doesn't post until early April I think, not sure.

yeah, doubles are a killer. We play "pins and skins" so the name of the game is to make birds and fire at pins, some of which under tourney conditions I never would fire at. But sometimes it pays off, usually not. Nice to get so many rounds in early and get a bit ahead of schedule with some of the big qualifiers early in the season. I switched all my wedges to x100 shafts this year and I'm noticing I'm hitting them much better and have been really solid getting up and down and chipping and pitching. If chipped in 3x already this year and knocked quite a few stiff, which was a problem for me last year. But I'm way to inconsistent with the driver and as anyone who plays knows, you need to drive it in play. 3wood off the tee hasn't been good either, that is the next club to go x-stiff too. It's odd because I don't have the swing speed that would warrant it per the charts, but the way I load the club (I go after it hard) I think helps me. I lose distance with irons but I really don't care if I hit 8iron instead of 9 iron when I know it's going to go straight and not hook off the planet. It's mostly confidence. That's where I need reps with the driver so that I have a confident swing and not the hold ons etc that I'm hitting now.

This is all pretty standard stuff and soon it will be all back to the green where I'll hit it to 15ft all day and not make a putt. Maddening.

Yeah, Ghin is not up yet to start posting, I usually hold on to all the card and post it when we are able to start posting, Max i can take is double as well, Every weekend at the course i belong we have something going on, If its not one of our many club tourney we will have a blind draw, With skins/pins, Or individual points, ABCD computer draw there is always something on the counter in the pro shop besides playing $1 Nassau on the side............. ;)

Yeah, Ghin is not up yet to start posting, I usually hold on to all the card and post it when we are able to start posting, Max i can take is double as well, Every weekend at the course i belong we have something going on, If its not one of our many club tourney we will have a blind draw, With skins/pins, Or individual points, ABCD computer draw there is always something on the counter in the pro shop besides playing $1 Nassau on the side............. ;)

Bring your kid down to the Ledge sometime. Can't be that far, York Maine. It's a treat. Rated #2 course in Maine now. When the greens are right, there are none better, and I've played some of the best......

Bring your kid down to the Ledge sometime. Can't be that far, York Maine. It's a treat. Rated #2 course in Maine now. When the greens are right, there are none better, and I've played some of the best......

Its not, Its about an hr drive, I have never played the ledges but a few of my friends have

Keep those hooks sharp, When i buy new hooks, I put the stone to them

Yeah, I was fishing a barbless hook in the catch and release section of the river near my house. I wasn't wearing my waders and I had to try to land it through some heavy water. Bink. Gone. It either tore out or it just shook the hook. I went out for a little while just before dark. I would have gotten skunked if a little 5" salmon hadn't tried to down the 2" Kastmaster.lol What a vicious fish eat fish world it is just beneath the surface. This is the first time I can remeber the river being completely free of ice and snow this early. The water should be 2-3' higher at this time of year,

post-839-0-79555000-1332722661.jpg

short par 5 (505), about 15 yrds over the green and chipped it in. I've had about 6 good eagle bids so far. Been feast or famine on the par 5s this year. That's what happens when you go for a 240 shot with trouble lurking. Birdie or double........I don't usually like to lay up though, always figure I can pull off the shot. I tend to go over conservative in tourneys though, grind our pars a few bogies and miss by 1 or 2. Going to change it up this year and go super aggressive so trying to get that mindset burned in early. Probably won't matter but need to try something.....always trying something...

I'm thinking of doing the opposite.lol I always think I can pull off the hero shot but, in reality its just a low percentage play. I've played pretty well on my first few outings but I really have to replace my driver. I tried out a friend's and had much better results with the stiffer shaft.

Yeah, I was fishing a barbless hook in the catch and release section of the river near my house. I wasn't wearing my waders and I had to try to land it through some heavy water. Bink. Gone. It either tore out or it just shook the hook. I went out for a little while just before dark. I would have gotten skunked if a little 5" salmon hadn't tried to down the 2" Kastmaster.lol What a vicious fish eat fish world it is just beneath the surface. This is the first time I can remeber the river being completely free of ice and snow this early. The water should be 2-3' higher at this time of year,

Yeah, All the surrounding lakes, ponds and brooks are open here but April 1st is open water for lakes, ponds and brooks here so everyone is just staring at the open water waiting, Sucks

Yeah, All the surrounding lakes, ponds and brooks are open here but April 1st is open water for lakes, ponds and brooks here so everyone is just staring at the open water waiting, Sucks

We are fresh water shutdown until the third week in April but stripers are running hard after buckies. So great to live in New England.

Archived