joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18-20 March 2012 severe prospects

tornadotony

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the SPC, today will be nothing special at all. I STILL don't get how they can mention very large hail and only have a 15% hatched.

The reason is because they are anticipating a more isolated evening convective threat. So the percentage of seeing significant hail within 25 miles of a point is not very high.

I want a cap to keep things isolated, but the strength of this cap is starting to worry me a bit when it comes to pre-dark convection. That and the lingering clouds are beginning to concern me a bit. I think I am agreeing with the SPC outlooks now... that's not to say there won't be supercells or tornadoes... possibly even a couple strong. BUT cells will be very isolated and anytime things are that isolated, you can't put huge risk up. Just hoping to be in an area near where those one or two cells pop. Here in Wheeler, TX waiting.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mpyle/spcprod/12/ 12z SPC WRF is in. Simulated reflectivity suggests isolated development mainly over western OK late afternoon and then the linear development with the cold front later. Interestingly, hourly max updraft helicities are not all that impressive with the isolated development progged. FWIW, it has a big supercell basically right over DFW late tomorrow afternoon.

Wow, I was beginning to lose a bit of confidence there in the cap weakening enough, but that run there and HRRR showing scattered discrete convection has to be working off something, those cells would be entering an explosive environment, except for maybe the LCL issues at times, which should wane later on, if the cells can maintain themselves.

That, and good lord at the NAM for tomorrow...

Wow, I was beginning to lose a bit of confidence there in the cap weakening enough, but that run there and HRRR showing scattered discrete convection has to be working off something, those cells would be entering an explosive environment, except for maybe the LCL issues at times, which should wane later on, if the cells can maintain themselves.

That, and good lord at the NAM for tomorrow...

Does anyone lend any credence to the SPC SWODY1 thoughts that the hi-res convection allowing models may be overdoing it later today?

Tomorrow, scary stuff for such a populated corridor in East Texas.

Does anyone lend any credence to the SPC SWODY1 thoughts that the hi-res convection allowing models may be overdoing it later today?

The problem is, is that the fact that the hi-res models were showing rather limited convection was possibly one of the factors that caused them to be conservative on the outlook last night, and that now some of them are showing a potential whole other story...

And I agree that Monday is beginning to look extremely dangerous...

It is a tough call for SPC because coverage is a big question even down to the last minute. Many reasons including timing of the the trough, capping near the dryline, possible dry air issues impeding updraft development from the LCL-LFC, etc. Problem with this setup, given the incredible low level shear/helicity and steep low/mid level lapse rates is only a couple of these cells could produce long swaths of significant severe reports. It doesn't take much in terms of coverage. It would be nice to see some ensemble hi-res guidance.

It is a tough call for SPC because coverage is a big question even down to the last minute. Many reasons including timing of the the trough, capping near the dryline, possible dry air issues impeding updraft development from the LCL-LFC, etc. Problem with this setup, given the incredible low level shear/helicity and steep low/mid level lapse rates is only a couple of these cells could produce long swaths of significant severe reports. It doesn't take much in terms of coverage. It would be nice to see some ensemble hi-res guidance.

I hadn't followed things too closely within the last day, but looked back at last night/early morning as you suggested, and lots of great stuff posted and certainly many valid points made w.r.t. rather conservative SPC outlooks. Thanks for filling me in.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/SREF_avia/FCST/NARRE/web_site/html/conv.html

Not hi-res, but still pretty high probability of convection in the highlighted threat area later today/this evening.

And a cursory glance at tomorrow, with high CAPE (possibly underdone in modelling as has been typical in this heat wave), high-end shear parameters, slightly backed surface winds, mid 60s dewpoints leading to low LCLs, I'm a little surprised that, although 30% hatched is already there, SPC didn't go with a Mod Risk for SWODY2, also considering the large population of the highlighted area.

Vis Satellite looking better... all of Texas panhandle should be in clear skies soon. Hopefully enough to break this cap later. Think we're heading north to Canadian from Wheeler... looks like the breaks are occurring a little earlier there.

Latest HRRR initiates a cluster of intense supercells and tracks it right into the areas of highest parameters later this evening...

hlcy_t5esbl_f11.png

Liking the idea of nicely rotating updrafts too. That is all with the first wave of convection too, as the HRRR lights up the dry line again around 04z.

And a cursory glance at tomorrow, with high CAPE (possibly underdone in modelling as has been typical in this heat wave), high-end shear parameters, slightly backed surface winds, mid 60s dewpoints leading to low LCLs, I'm a little surprised that, although 30% hatched is already there, SPC didn't go with a Mod Risk for SWODY2, also considering the large population of the highlighted area.

This very much, and believe me, if that secondary sfc low develops as virtually all the models suggest, there's going to be more than just slight backing of the sfc winds.

Archived