• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18-20 March 2012 severe prospects

tornadotony

That updraft path in the Eastern TX Panhandle is similar to the beginning of the April 9th, 1947 event in the area, just wanted to put some historical perspective on that. Obviously not expecting anything like that.

Remember that surface wind response to the height falls moving in from the west may still be being underestimated by the models, which would only enhance boundary layer moisture and the already sky-high low level shear.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2, 30% hatched, mentions a couple of tornadoes, although I'd tend to disagree if they expect supercells in the types of STI indicators that Tony posted as well as the favorable shear profiles and low level shear I'm seeing on both models:

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0100 AM CDT SUN MAR 18 2012

VALID 191200Z - 201200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM THE MID MO VALLEY AREA

SWD/SSWWD TO THE LOWER RIO GRANDE VALLEY...

...SYNOPSIS...

HIGHLY AMPLIFIED UPPER FLOW FIELD TO CONTINUE ACROSS THE U.S. THIS

PERIOD...AS A VERY LARGE TROUGH MOVES SLOWLY OUT OF THE ROCKIES

TOWARD THE GREAT PLAINS. MEANWHILE...A CORRESPONDING DOWNSTREAM

RIDGE WILL AFFECT BASICALLY THE ENTIRE ERN U.S. E OF THE MS VALLEY.

AT THE SURFACE...HIGH PRESSURE WILL PREVAIL OVER THE ERN AND WRN

PORTIONS OF COUNTRY...WHILE A N-S COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THE

ADVANCING TROUGH CROSSES THE PLAINS STATES THROUGH THE PERIOD. THIS

FRONT WILL BE THE FOCUS FOR A N-S ZONE OF STORMS EXTENDING FROM THE

CANADIAN TO THE MEXICAN BORDER.

...MID MO VALLEY SSWWD TO THE LOWER RIO GRANDE VALLEY...

SHOWERS AND STORMS -- AND POSSIBLY ONGOING SEVERE POTENTIAL --

SHOULD EXTEND ACROSS PARTS OF KS/OK/TX AT THE START OF THE

PERIOD...WITH WEAKER CONVECTION EXTENDING NNEWD INTO THE MID MO

VALLEY REGION. THE ONGOING PRECIPITATION AND CLOUD COVER -- BEING

CARRIED CONTINUALLY NNEWD BY THE STRONG SLY/MERIDIONAL FLOW ALOFT --

SHOULD HINDER DESTABILIZATION POTENTIAL...AND THUS LIKEWISE LIMIT

ASSOCIATED SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL N OF THE SRN PLAINS WHERE LOWER

PROBABILITY THREAT FOR HAIL/WIND IS EXPECTED.

THE FOCUS FOR GREATER SEVERE POTENTIAL REMAINS FROM ROUGHLY ERN

KS/MO SWD -- PARTICULARLY INTO SERN OK/WRN MO AND SWD ACROSS E TX ON

THE SERN FRINGE OF ONGOING STORMS. AS AFTERNOON DESTABILIZATION

PUSHES MIXED-LAYER CAPE INTO THE 1000 TO 2000 J/KG RANGE ACROSS THIS

REGION...STORMS WILL INTENSIFY/REDEVELOP ACROSS THIS AREA THROUGH

PEAK HEATING.

AS STRONG /60 TO 70 KT/ SWLY FLOW AT MID LEVELS OVERSPREADS THE

MOIST/UNSTABLE BOUNDARY LAYER FEATURING SSELY PRE-FRONTAL

WINDS...DEVELOPING STORMS WITHIN THE FAVORABLY SHEARED ENVIRONMENT

WILL QUICKLY BECOME SEVERE/SUPERCELLULAR...WITH VERY LARGE HAIL AND

LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS POSSIBLE. A COUPLE OF TORNADOES MAY ALSO

OCCUR -- GIVEN AMPLE LOW-LEVEL SHEAR AND THE MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER

FORECAST IN THIS REGION. OVERNIGHT...INCREASINGLY LINEAR

ORGANIZATION OF THE CONVECTION IS EXPECTED ALONG THE SLOWLY

ADVANCING FRONT. WHILE SEVERE THREAT CONTINUES INTO THE OVERNIGHT

HOURS...THREAT FOR HEAVY RAIN SHOULD ALSO INCREASE GIVEN OVERALL

SLOW MOVEMENT OF THE CONVECTIVE BAND AND POTENTIAL FOR TRAINING

CONVECTION.

..GOSS.. 03/18/2012

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I latched onto your statement "I hope we see something surprising" and should have read the rest of your post more carefully. Our thoughts probably aren't too far apart... I'm just a touch more bullish for now.

Its okay man... I can see how that statement could have been misconstrued. I was referring to us chasing mainly... that I hope we see something surprising. No probs here, I just wanted to make it clear that tornadoes, even a couple strong tornadoes would not be surprising to me at all tomorrow. And for the record, I too am scratching my head at the Day 1. Will be interested to see what different forecasters say in the morning.

The only thing that stil concerns me is the upper level wind profile... BUT this is a pretty easy thing to overcome with all of the other ingredients in place. Just we could get that great directional shear all the way up in a consistent area.

The only thing that stil concerns me is the upper level wind profile... BUT this is a pretty easy thing to overcome with all of the other ingredients in place. Just we could get that great directional shear all the way up in a consistent area.

As Tony mentioned, the veering in the upper levels is pretty marginal at best, at most around 10-15 degrees, which really shouldn't have much influence at all in terms of storm mode, I honestly think the only things we really have to worry about right now is the cap, and perhaps a few minor LCL issues, but if the soundings on the NAM verify like Tony said, we have a big problem on our hands, as both of those issues would likely be resolved at the same time. That sounding at Woodward he posted is nuts in terms of the lack of an inversion.

I think a hatched tor would have been more than acceptable given the incredible low level shear and near dry adiabatic lapse rates through such a deep layer. Coverage wise, at least in my opinion, seems to be the bigger question.

I would agree with this. 10% hatched would have been a far superior forecast, IMO, than the current one. It may be a one big-dog night tomorrow night.

Day 3, Tuesday looks like it wants to join the party too, although I find it funny how the wording is stronger than either tomorrow's or Monday's threat:

DAY 3 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0229 AM CDT SUN MAR 18 2012

VALID 201200Z - 211200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM PORTIONS OF AR SWD INTO

COASTAL SERN TX/SRN LA...

..SYNOPSIS

AS THE LARGE UPPER TROUGH MOVING OUT OF THE ROCKIES CONTINUES A SLOW

ADVANCE THIS PERIOD...EVOLUTION OF THE SYSTEM INTO A CLOSED LOW IS

FORECAST...WITH THE LOW EXPECTED TO RESIDE OVER ERN PORTIONS OF THE

SRN PLAINS BY THE END OF THE PERIOD. ELSEWHERE...RIDGING IS

FORECAST TO PREVAIL OVER BOTH THE ERN U.S. AND ALSO THE

SOUTHWEST...TO THE S OF FAST WSWLY FLOW EXPECTED OVER THE NWRN

CORNER OF THE CONUS.

AT THE SURFACE...SLOW EWD ADVANCE OF THE FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THE

UPPER TROUGH WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE FIRST HALF OF THE

PERIOD...BUT EVENTUAL UPPER LOW DEVELOPMENT OVER TX/OK MAY DRIVE

FRONTAL CYCLOGENESIS INVOF OK. DEPENDING UPON THE STRENGTH OF THIS

LOW DEVELOPMENT...SOME WWD RETREAT OF THE FRONT IN A WARM-FRONTAL

FASHION MAY OCCUR N OF THE LOW...WHILE SLOW EWD ADVANCE OF A COLD

FRONT TOWARD THE LOWER MS VALLEY WOULD CONTINUE S OF THIS FEATURE.

..MID AND UPPER TX COAST EWD ACROSS SRN LA AND NWD INTO AR

WIDESPREAD SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE ONGOING ALONG THE WRN

FRINGE OF THE OUTLOOK AREA AT THE START OF THE PERIOD...AHEAD OF THE

ADVANCING COLD FRONT. ONGOING SEVERE THREAT SHOULD RAMP UP THROUGH

THE AFTERNOON FROM ROUGHLY THE OZARKS SWD TO THE SERN TX/SRN LA GULF

COASTS...AS LIMITED HEATING OF THE VERY MOIST GULF AIRMASS RESULTS

IN AIRMASS DESTABILIZATION. ONCE AGAIN...THE NRN EXTENT OF THE

SEVERE THREAT SHOULD AGAIN BE LIMITED DUE TO WIDESPREAD

PRECIPITATION/CLOUD COVER AND THUS MODEST INSTABILITY.

HOWEVER...FARTHER S...SERN TX AND LA IN PARTICULAR MAY EXPERIENCE

MORE WIDESPREAD/HIGHER END SEVERE POTENTIAL -- INCLUDING THE

POSSIBILITY OF TORNADOES GIVEN THE VERY MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER AND

FAVORABLY STRONG LOW-LEVEL SHEAR. CONVECTION SHOULD SHIFT SLOWLY

ACROSS LA THROUGH THE SECOND HALF OF THE PERIOD...WITH SEVERE THREAT

LIKELY TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.

..GOSS.. 03/18/2012

Repost from the Texas/LA general/obs. thread:

There are some ugly looking parameters Monday evening/overnight and early Tuesday morning across Southern/Central TX on the southern end of the line and ahead of it, which on the 06z NAM's composite reflectivity, looks to have semi-discrete/discrete convection. This includes many of the major metros along the I-10 and I-35 corridors, basically in an area south of a line from Brownwood to Lufkin. All of this area is located within the current 30%/hatched area on the Day 2, except for the immediate Gulf Coast. I mean look at this hodograph for Corpus Christi at 3:00 in the morning on Tuesday (and they only get worse further NE). This is the result of a secondary, 40-70 kt LLJ developing as the upper level low closes off and the surface low developing in southern TX strongly backs the surface winds. Even if the discrete convection doesn't manage to form, I can see the line being full of embedded supercells and LEWPs given the LL shear in place.

Keep in mind there is still plenty of boundary layer moisture and instability into Monday overnight/Tuesday morning, and the cap is gone.

GFS coming in with some positively monster hodographs (even bigger than the NAM) in this area around the same time frame as the NAM, with H5 shear vectors oriented WSW/SW.

This is certainly something to watch as it includes some very highly populated areas.

This is 06z west of Woodward. To have that little of an inversion progged at 06z on the plains is ABSURD! Good Lord, if this verifies...

To your point, the 18/00z NAM maintains 50-100 J/kg of 0-3 km CAPE from around Dodge City to Miami through 06z tonight. There is plenty of potential left in the boundary layer after dark.

If the departure of those morning clouds is timed correctly, it could serve to keep a "lid" on the boundary layer and reduce the time over which moisture tries to mix out this afternoon. With the RUC indicating widespread temperatures in the lower 80s by late afternoon, I'd definitely sacrifice several degrees T in order to save a couple degrees Td.

By far, the most concerning trend on the modeling this morning for chasers is the lack of any storms/precip signals lasting more than a couple hours on the RUC and HRRR. It seems the upper system might be a touch slower than expected last night, which may (or may not) have significant implications. The environment should be there, with the RUC showing widespread 0-1 km EHI values of 5-8 by 00z along and 2-3 counties east of the dryline. Tough day; if there's going to be only one isolated beast, I see little signal along the entire CDS-DDC corridor that favors one area over another, right now.

If the departure of those morning clouds is timed correctly, it could serve to keep a "lid" on the boundary layer and reduce the time over which moisture tries to mix out this afternoon. With the RUC indicating widespread temperatures in the lower 80s by late afternoon, I'd definitely sacrifice several degrees T in order to save a couple degrees Td.

By far, the most concerning trend on the modeling this morning for chasers is the lack of any storms/precip signals lasting more than a couple hours on the RUC and HRRR. It seems the upper system might be a touch slower than expected last night, which may (or may not) have significant implications. The environment should be there, with the RUC showing widespread 0-1 km EHI values of 5-8 by 00z along and 2-3 counties east of the dryline. Tough day; if there's going to be only one isolated beast, I see little signal along the entire CDS-DDC corridor that favors one area over another, right now.

I was thinking this as well, a way to artificially lower LCLs without increasing the moisture per se. However, as you noted this will probably require more forcing to break the cap, and probably why hi-res models are struggling to maintain precip.

Archived