Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Our region's extreme run

MN Transplant

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It's probably time to abandon the idea of top 10 coldest calendar year for BWI and focus on top 10 hottest May, so...

68.4 is the magic number that gives BWI a tie for top 10. Right now they are at 68.6. The next few days will knock that average down, but if we blowtorcher next week as currently forecast it will be back in play again.

It's probably time to abandon the idea of top 10 coldest calendar year for BWI and focus on top 10 hottest May, so...

68.4 is the magic number that gives BWI a tie for top 10. Right now they are at 68.6. The next few days will knock that average down, but if we blowtorcher next week as currently forecast it will be back in play again.

IF???  Now, that's funny.

May is the new July for BWI. There hasn't been a below average May since 2008, and nine of the last ten Mays (including this one) have been above average. This May is currently ranked 13th hottest, but is very close to being in the top 10- if it happens, that would be two top 10 hottest Mays in just four years.

Easily the worst May in my memory.

Worst for heat.  Worst for rain.  Worst for pollen.

Warmest average DC May temperature (73.2 at DCA, vs 73.0 in 1991).  However, average maximum temp. of 82.4 was exceeded by 83.1 in 1991.  Also, current precipitation (assuming none this evening) of 1.92 inches ranks as only the 28th driest in DC history -- 1991 was only 1.57 inches.  1991 also finished with these three maximum temperatures:  97 on May 29th, 98 on May 30th, and 99 on May 31st.  

Warmest average DC May temperature (73.2 at DCA, vs 73.0 in 1991).  However, average maximum temp. of 82.4 was exceeded by 83.1 in 1991.  Also, current precipitation (assuming none this evening) of 1.92 inches ranks as only the 28th driest in DC history -- 1991 was only 1.57 inches.  1991 also finished with these three maximum temperatures:  97 on May 29th, 98 on May 30th, and 99 on May 31st.  

That 3-day stretch sounds brutal; glad I don't remember it.  But it does illustrate how bad this May was by comparison  Remove those 3 ridiculous days that occurred at the end of May and this May blows 1991 out of the water.  This May didn't reach that extreme, but it's been hot nearly door-to-door, and that is far worse to me than a few days of extreme heat.

Great stats look-up, btw.  Thanks.

That 3-day stretch sounds brutal; glad I don't remember it.  But it does illustrate how bad this May was by comparison  Remove those 3 ridiculous days that occurred at the end of May and this May blows 1991 out of the water.  This May didn't reach that extreme, but it's been hot nearly door-to-door, and that is far worse to me than a few days of extreme heat.

Great stats look-up, btw.  Thanks.

I think perception of heat depends on whether you're focusing on average maximum or average minimum temperatures.  This year at DCA, the average May minimum was 63.8 vs. 62.8 in 1991, and even at IAD the relative numbers for those two Mays are 57.5 vs 57.1.  On the other hand, IAD has yet to record its first 90+ degree day of 2015, whereas in 1991 maximums for the last seven days of May ranged between 90 and 95.  By the way, the warmest May at IAD was actually 2004 at 69.8, followed by 69.3 in 1991 and 68.9 in 2015.

I think perception of heat depends on whether you're focusing on average maximum or average minimum temperatures.  This year at DCA, the average May minimum was 63.8 vs. 62.8 in 1991, and even at IAD the relative numbers for those two Mays are 57.5 vs 57.1.  On the other hand, IAD has yet to record its first 90+ degree day of 2015, whereas in 1991 maximums for the last seven days of May ranged between 90 and 95.  By the way, the warmest May at IAD was actually 2004 at 69.8, followed by 69.3 in 1991 and 68.9 in 2015.

Hard to believe that IAD didn't record a 90F this month, OKV had 3.  

That's interesting; didn't know that. I also assumed that each airport used automated sensors, am I wrong?

Yes, but IAD, DCA, etc are ASOS's maintained by NWS, while JYO, OKV, etc are AWOS's maintained by someone else (FAA or the state DOT usually)

May at BWI finished 7th at 69.1 degrees. This moved May 2012 (69.0 degrees) down to tied for 8th now. All without breaking a single daily record high or high minimum too.

I can't think of any other year that had a such a dramatic turnaround with temps as this one. 1936 gets talked about a lot, but that was more for the midwest I think- the actual numbers aren't that impressive at BWI at least.

Oh and if anyone cares, we're now in 17th for the coldest year ever race. LOL

Its a little unsettling how easily BWI tied that record highest min yesterday, just seemingly out of nowhere. I hope that's not an omen like 4/4/2011 or 4/5-6/2010...

Yeah it probably was. Could probably add 4/16/12 to the mix too. We're screwed.

May ended up warmer than 14 Junes since the recording station moved to DCA....as recently as 2003

The ultimate in this context would be to have a warmer May than June in the same calendar year.  The closest DC has ever come was 1918, at 69.6 degrees in May and 70.8 degrees in June. 

May ended up warmer than 14 Junes since the recording station moved to DCA....as recently as 2003

good!

except for 5/57, every strong NINO that had a lousy winter (at BWI) was preceded by colder than normal Mays (5/72 and 5/97) while the decent strong NINO winters had warm Mays (5/65 and 5/82).....and since the NINO of 57/58 had a NINA the preceding winter, we toss

and before you say it, I'm just starting the denial process for this winter early, so give me a break

that said, I still prefer the "coincidence" to be in our favor than against it  :weenie: 

good!

except for 5/57, every strong NINO that had a lousy winter (at BWI) was preceded by colder than normal Mays (5/72 and 5/97) while the decent strong NINO winters had warm Mays (5/65 and 5/82).....and since the NINO of 57/58 had a NINA the preceding winter, we toss

and before you say it, I'm just starting the denial process for this winter early, so give me a break

that said, I still prefer the "coincidence" to be in our favor than against it  :weenie:

I'll take that inference even further; since this is the warmest May ever, then we must also be due for the best nino winter ever!