joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 11-12 cont'd

MAG5035

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, um, might want to hold off on the winter cancel talk. Take a gander in the Philly subforum February thread....the often reliable Euro Weeklies, which have been correctly torching us all winter, did a complete 180. Posts:

As mentioned, this could be a hiccup or the ultimate final troll by the Euro. But it's definitely raising eyebrows.

So, um, might want to hold off on the winter cancel talk. Take a gander in the Philly subforum February thread....the often reliable Euro Weeklies, which have been correctly torching us all winter, did a complete 180. Posts:

http://www.americanw...ost__p__1328757

http://www.americanw...ost__p__1328648

As mentioned, this could be a hiccup or the ultimate final troll by the Euro. But it's definitely raising eyebrows.

I don't care what that thing says. This winter is trash. lol

Didn't JB cut a video on Saturday where he actually laid out some reasonable points as to why a reversal is possible for February? Wouldn't that be what the EURO weeklies are indicating?

I'm not subscribed to JB at the new company he works, but there's def reasonable evidence to show that some kind of a pattern change for the better is going to present itself later in the month. I do know from his twitter he's been talking up major European cold to develop. As i've said my thinking's around mid-month when we could see our potential opportunities for some semblence of a winter comeback. Unlike earlier in the winter, we have a markedly changed AO regime.. which is residing at about -3 or so currently. It certainly hadn't been really forecasted to get that strongly negative..but it's quietly gotten there. Quite a change, you can note it in the arctic ice extent..which had been making decent increases and was heading in the direction of getting closer to the 1979-2000 mean than it has in the last couple years. Dominant +AO locks up the arctic air near the poles, thus promotes ice building. You'll note that extent actually FELL around mid-late Jan as the AO was dropping to neutral and negative. All in all, it went from its peak around +4 SD in late Dec to the -3SD it's currently sitting at. A net of -7 standard deviations... thats a major change.

post-1507-0-30859500-1327977988.gif

post-1507-0-54760700-1327978014.png

The Pac pattern is starting to look pretty good with the major ridge forecast to build into Alaska (-EPO) as well as positive PNA and the forecasted MJO pulse heading thru 7 towards 8. The Euro ensembles have the MJO moving through at least 7 and 8. Most of the other major guidance/ensembles look fairly good as well. You can flip thru the different models going to that link below.

http://www.cpc.ncep....clivar_wh.shtml

post-1507-0-96395700-1327981479.gif

It would def be nice to get the NAO in on the party by going negative or at the least staying around neutral. GFS ensemble members kept it a lil more positive today. These forecasted changes in the Pac if they hold are def gonna make things chillier after this week or perhaps early next week depending on what ends up happening with the evolution of the couple systems near the end of the week. I wouldn't completely turn a blind eye to the end of the week/weekend speaking of which, as the run to run model continuity vs each other as well as themselves have been quite the @#$%show. Any rate right now I think there's gonna be a 7-10 day period where we see our chances to get the big storm and a decent overall established winter weather pattern. If we actually pull off the full MJO phase 7-8-1 run and curl back, we might be talking about a more extended period of fun. Right now though let's see if this potential recipe for fun on the table comes to fruition.

GFS is a pretty ugly run for snow lovers. Any expected pattern change could easily not produce a sizable storm given several uncorporative factors. Outside the second week period, I think a return to warmth is possible with Pacific air flooding the nation. Generally I am not overly enthusiastic for the snow prospects through the rest of winter.

GFS is a pretty ugly run for snow lovers. Any expected pattern change could easily not produce a sizable storm given several uncorporative factors. Outside the second week period, I think a return to warmth is possible with Pacific air flooding the nation. Generally I am not overly enthusiastic for the snow prospects through the rest of winter.

One thing that Joe Lundberg brings up that reared it's ugly head in 2001-2002 - perfect pattern, no arctic air: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/lundberg/beyond-the-tast/60959

Archived