joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 11-12 cont'd

MAG5035

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confident any squall line that develops will either peter out just prior to reaching UNV or will be split apart at the last moment by the magic invisible shield that so often robs the immediate State College vicinity from witnessing awesome storms.

Since I've lived here, I don't know why, but cold frontal squall lines in the winter seem to do better than ones in warm season. I don't know if that has to do with having to need a lot of dynamics to get one in the winter or not.

Since I've lived here, I don't know why, but cold frontal squall lines in the winter seem to do better than ones in warm season. I don't know if that has to do with having to need a lot of dynamics to get one in the winter or not.

Hopefully, that will be the case today. Could sure use something (anything) wintry at this point.

You're definitely right about winter not being over in Feb and March (or even April) in these parts. The sad part is the sun is getting high enough that it usually doesn't last long. That said, we've had some memorable storms during that time period. Would rather experience a good 20+ inch thumping with crazy winds that's gone in a week than multiple average events that stick around.

Hopefully, that will be the case today. Could sure use something (anything) wintry at this point.

You're definitely right about winter not being over in Feb and March (or even April) in these parts. The sad part is the sun is getting high enough that it usually doesn't last long. That said, we've had some memorable storms during that time period. Would rather experience a good 20+ inch thumping with crazy winds that's gone in a week than multiple average events that stick around.

Yep, me too.

One thing that really surprised me: I looked at snowcover numbers for UNV on AccuWx Pro in Feb, and 3 of the last 4 Febs, we had at least one inch on the ground for most of the month. I was like what? So being a nerd, I looked at the temps, precip, and snowfall, and I think it was due to having mixed events soon after snow fall putting on a crust. Plus, it would drop down fast from say 8 inches to 2 inches and then melt slower, so likely that's it.

The other thing I forgot from last year - we had those two days in the mid-60s 2/17-18, then 6 inches of snow 2/20-21! Crazy.

So, a person on Twitter who has lived here for 15 years said to me "winter's pretty much over as usual right? We don't have much snow in Feb around here".

I responded no, actually Feb/Mar are climo more likely to give us major snowstorms, then mentioned the 13-15 inches we got in early Feb 2010. I got several Tweets asking what I was talking about, don't remember anything like that. One person said I don't remember us getting anything over 6 inches for years. I mentioned our surprise snowstorm in March last year when we got 10 inches, no one remembered it.

Human memory is very unreliable but it seems especially bad with weather.

Lol what you were talking about? Only the biggest storm to hit UNV and south since either the '03 or '96 storm depending on where you are in southern PA. Then you tack on the fact that another big storm hit 4 days later. Usually in the weenie world we see the other end of the spectrum but it def goes both ways. Theres always the ever popular "winters were so much worse back in the day". I think it would make a great weather related psychology research topic for somebody.

HBG cashed in all spring/summer/fall with these squal lines (we are still picking up trees from 'em). Doubt this can make it still impressively over the range, but I hope it can.

When you see low and mid level lapse rates like these, you can pretty much render the Allegheny front a moot point. Although given the timing, you might lose some of the daytime heating farther east. Still though, this is going to be interesting to watch unfold. Low level lapses already over 8ºC/km with the daytime heating and the cold pool with mid level lapses over 8ºC/km is starting to press into PA. Thats crazy.. especially the mid levels.

Low level

post-1507-0-37535300-1327860959.gif

Mid level

post-1507-0-06556200-1327860978.gif

I can't recall ever seeing one, but I'm guessing there has been. Just like the warnings earlier this month, all you need is the wind to verify and these snow squall lines usually do pack some wind.

Sure has...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
602 PM CST TUE FEB 11 2003

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LINCOLN HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
MARSHALL COUNTY IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 645 PM CST

* AT 602 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED
A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM...WITH HEAVY SNOW... OVER SPARLAND...OR
ABOUT 6 MILES NORTHWEST OF LACON...MOVING EAST AT 65 MPH.

* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...
HENRY
LACON
VARNA
TOLUCA
WENONA

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH WILL ACCOMPANY THIS DANGEROUS
STORM. GO TO A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A
STURDY BUILDING. ABANDON CARS AND MOBILE HOMES IF YOU ARE IN THE
WARNED AREA.

REPORT SEVERE WEATHER OR ANY STORM DAMAGE TO YOUR LOCAL ESDA...OR THE
NEAREST LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY...FOR RELAY TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE. STAY TUNED FOR LATER STATEMENTS.

r1ect0.gif

Who wants to make a bet. I say accumulating snows don't make it east of Clearfield to Johnstown. My bet 5 bucks sent to you're address lol.

I'm going with 0.5-1.0" in State College. Perhaps 0.25-0.5" on the roads. I'd make an official bet, but am too lazy to actually deal with the logistics. :P

GFS is an all out snow storm for next weekend north of I78 and the pa turnpike from central pa on west 12+ this run. I'll be up west of the state college area for my ice fishing trip. 3 models now saying storm could be a great week of model watching.

Ya. Starts as snow for everyone probably 4"+ then to ice/rain south of State college. But, it will change a million more times. Hopefully it goes a bit SE and we all enjoy snow.

Archived