northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA Winter 11-12 cont'd

MAG5035

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we had a total of 8 inches from both storms. Not been a snow capital up in these parts.

3.5 from the first, 8.0 from the second. The second one was a really band-driven storm. UNV got like 3.0 and I ended up with around what you got.

This is a really good link for us: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/features/snowmaps/index.php?tab=storms

It has a fair amount of storm data - check it out.

You guys realize that the unthawed ground will eat half of that up before it accumulates. So we're looking at an inch southern tier...maybe half inch in State College???

Ground temperatures, at least here in State College, have been hovering in the upper 30s (41 °F seems to be the average on paved surfaces) thanks to the persistent cloud-cover. When temperatures drop in the mid 20s tonight, ground temperatures will not have a problem falling below freezing; likely the same case for paved surfaces.

Looks great for 1-2" for most of us near and south of DuBois/Centre County.

3.5 from the first, 8.0 from the second. The second one was a really band-driven storm. UNV got like 3.0 and I ended up with around what you got.

This is a really good link for us: http://www.erh.noaa.....php?tab=storms

It has a fair amount of storm data - check it out.

Yea we got lucky with a band that sat over our area and turned what was about a 5 incher into an 8-12" storm.

I remember leaving class that day to go home and the snow had pretty much stopped in State College that afternoon when they had around 4-5 inches. Took the back way for a bit of an adventure through Sinking Valley and almost regretted that. 2nd storm was a windy one.

post-1507-0-28726600-1328653878.gif

Ground temperatures, at least here in State College, have been hovering in the upper 30s (41 °F seems to be the average on paved surfaces) thanks to the persistent cloud-cover. When temperatures drop in the mid 20s tonight, ground temperatures will not have a problem falling below freezing; likely the same case for paved surfaces.

Looks great for 1-2" for most of us near and south of DuBois/Centre County.

Looks like on the NAM and GFS we're getting .1" QPF right up to around our area. Assuming normal ratios and ground temps not too much of an issue I think an inch would be a good call here...with certainly some near-advisory amounts to our south if temps cooperate.

Your neck of the woods and south is looking good for a nice lil event. Higher Laurels spots probably sneak in advisory amounts just like Saturday.

Yeah... if we can get things going early and stay steady there could be some 4" amounts. This should be a little colder and fluffier than Saturday.

You guys should do ok too, at least by this winter's standards!

Yeah... if we can get things going early and stay steady there could be some 4" amounts. This should be a little colder and fluffier than Saturday.

If i get enough to last more than half a day i'll consider the storm a smashing success haha

If i get enough to last more than half a day i'll consider the storm a smashing success haha

Yeah, 1-2 is a moderate event this year :(

What do you two think of this weekend? Any chance of a wave on the front?

Just wanted to mention the last couple days I have been working in Liberty Pa. And for the most part the ground has stayed pretty much froze.

Today the temp up there was about 38 with cloud cover.with about 6mph wind. And I would 80% of the ground was froze or solid.

With a few places where the sun didn't hit had 2-4" of frost.

Just wanted to mention the last couple days I have been working in Liberty Pa. And for the most part the ground has stayed pretty much froze.

Today the temp up there was about 38 with cloud cover.with about 6mph wind. And I would 80% of the ground was froze or solid.

With a few places where the sun didn't hit had 2-4" of frost.

I can see a fast moving wave on the front Saturday morning. Things stay progressive and positively tilted at 500, so I don't think anything big will happen for us. New England will be a different story.

But a few inches are certainly possible with the fluff factor. The EC ensembles and GEM have a nice thump, and the nam is starting to catch on (but it's of course a few days off for the nam)

The 18z DGEX at 84 and 90 looked pretty robust for especially the west and north taking a nice band of snow associated with arctic front nw-se across the state. New 0z NAM was meh. Todays Euro looked like it wanted to incorporate some southern energy and almost could've made for more of an actual legit wave running the Arctic boundary..almost. I think at the very least we will have some snows with the passage of the arctic front as the cold air presses down, prolly the typical bs up to an inch or so variety fading to scattered coatings in the far se. I could see a wave suddenly appearing. Remember I had said several days ago that this is type of pattern where might not see the storm in this timeframe show up till late in the game and maybe suddenly. Being a colder system wouldn't need a ton of QPF to work out some decent amounts via higher ratios either. Either way should be seeing back to back snow events for a change, 1/2-1 flurry on top of our 1-3 flurry event tomorrow.

Wow CTP ramped up amounts in the south with their new map... nearly 3 inches in Altoona and over 2" in State College. Wonder if there's enough 3-4" coverage in Cambria and somerset that they may consider throwing up a low end advisory.

Seems pretty optimistic...I don't even know if any model shows this much especially around I-80.

Would be a nice surprise though. 2" goes a long way when you've had a few weeks of brown.

Seems pretty optimistic...I don't even know if any model shows this much especially around I-80.

Would be a nice surprise though. 2" goes a long way when you've had a few weeks of brown.

Seems pretty reasonable.

Looking at 18z GFS ensembles, not a single member gives KUNV <0.1" liquid equivalent with plumes showing a clustering around 0.2" liquid. SREFs look to average between 0.15"-0.2". NAM is about 0.15". Edit: Euro coming in with 0.17".

:lmao::facepalm:

There are countless......countless.....examples of snow accumulating just fine after temps in the 60s. Yes, it can be a factor sometimes. But it's not a dealbreaker.

Besides.....here the top layer of ground will be frozen with lows in the mid-20s and highs in the low 30s.

i thought the same thing. I lost count (Here and Eastern) of how many times jamie has had to give the speach! :snowing:

I know right? I remember one morning a few years back. I took my wife to work and when I left the house it was 62 degrees and raining. An hour and a half later (and a frontal passage) I returned home and it was snowing with a coating to one inch on everything. Granted that was a bit of a heavier snowfall, but still...

Archived