• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Snowstorm Potential 1/21 Part II

earthlight

The SREF was also wetter with 0.5 touching KNYC...

I like these setups to produce a decent amount of precip. We tend to get good lift/dynamics during these setups with the strong thermal gradient which can help enhance qpf amounts. That is why I think a general .4-.7 is a safe bet. I would not be surprised to see a widespread 3-6 event including NYC unfold with localized amounts of 6-9.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it will never be considered, but it would probably be a prudent idea to change watch/warning criterion from 6" to 8".

If this winter (doubtful) and the following couple of winters become anything like the last 2 winters of 2009-10 and 2010-11 for NYC, Upton should consider doing that based a trending medium-term average. The advisory criterion should also be raised from 3" to 4" if they do decide on this proposal.

Bill Evans from channel 7 is calling for only 1-3" in NYC when the rest of the TV mets are calling for 3-5." :facepalm:

Please stop :deadhorse: this will be one come Monday afternoon as it gets washed away. :frostymelt: Does anyone know there is a lakes cutter with 50 degree temp and SSE winds 48 hours later with +7c to +8C 850's. Let's just get this winter over with and place it in the porcelain prince with the donut shaped seat over it and let's just jiggle the handle already.

Dude its by like a degree not even,calmdown.

Never really worry about surface temps for this event, its the 750-880mb layer that needs to be watched as well as obs along the same latitude as the NYC area late tomorrow aftn and evening to the west. If you see PL or ZR in areas that should have been snow then you know we could be in trouble. This scared alot of people in the 12/19/08 event when Chicago had ZR and PL the night before when they were supposed to see snow, however what everyone missed was that the wave was significantly dampening out as it came east and the WAA weakened. This event is doing a bit of the same but to a lesser extent, the key is to watch Cleveland and locales north of Pittsburgh in the early evening tonight, if we're seeing sleet or freezing rain in those places we may have a problem.

Archived