12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Snowstorm Potential 1/21 Part II

earthlight

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow amounts keep getting cut down in NYC on the GFS/NAM snow maps, despite the appearance of all snow precipitation (at least on the GFS, the NAM is a good amount of sleet). The 4 inch mark seemingly pulls up as it approaches Manhattan from the West.

I'm not in love with the 0z GFS. I will surely enjoy a few inches of fluffy snow if it comes to pass, but I was hoping for a bit more QPF.

There is a barely perceptible mid-level trough, for example at 700mb and 850mb. The precipitation is driven almost entirely by modest isentropic upglide. And even the duration is limited. It would be all snow for a change, which is nice, but it caps an upper limit fairly low. I think we have margin to warm and wetten things up without mixing. Even the very warm 18z NAM offered mostly snow north of NYC IMO. And it even nearly closed off a low at 850mb. We're not going to get amazing ratios regardless with relatively warm 700mb temps. I think we would be better off with a more pronounced mid-level wave, borderline mid-level temps, and a cold surface. That would at least introduce the remote possibility of warning level snows. But then again in this winter that is playing with fire.

I see soundings up by you that tell me higher ratio snows are possible. Take what you can get though. The models always waiver on QPF. nothing to ride your hat on

I'm not in love with the 0z GFS. I will surely enjoy a few inches of fluffy snow if it comes to pass, but I was hoping for a bit more QPF.

There is a barely perceptible mid-level trough, for example at 700mb and 850mb. The precipitation is driven almost entirely by modest isentropic upglide. And even the duration is limited. It would be all snow for a change, which is nice, but it caps an upper limit fairly low. I think we have margin to warm and wetten things up without mixing. Even the very warm 18z NAM offered mostly snow north of NYC IMO. And it even nearly closed off a low at 850mb. We're not going to get amazing ratios regardless with relatively warm 700mb temps. I think we would be better off with a more pronounced mid-level wave, borderline mid-level temps, and a cold surface. That would at least introduce the remote possibility of warning level snows. But then again in this winter that is playing with fire.

How much for Philly?

No, really.

1.5"-2" per Mt holly accumulation map. I think how much snow we can squeeze in the first thump before the mixover is the big question...next big question is can the all rain line stay just SE of I-295. Wouldn't even want to bet house money on it at this point, but at least in the game until guidance says otherwise. You're in my neck of the woods, and I'll probably be up in New Brunswick area for work Saturday morning so I'm stealing your snow :whistle::sled::snowing:

I see soundings up by you that tell me higher ratio snows are possible. Take what you can get though. The models always waiver on QPF. nothing to ride your hat on

That's an interesting idiom. :)

Did anyone around LI get genuine measurable snow so far tonight and if so, how much?

Just flurries here...looks like the IMBY record for winter futility will be broken (we've got about 23 minutes to tie and it isn't looking good).

I know someone in Jamesport on the north shore with accumulating snowfall. Thats all I have heard so far.

quote name='NorthShoreWx' timestamp='1327034339' post='1296794']

Did anyone around LI get genuine measurable snow so far tonight and if so, how much?

Just flurries here...looks like the IMBY record for winter futility will be broken (we've got about 23 minutes to tie and it isn't looking good).

No-siree. I'll take the few inches of snow to maybe light sleet/ZR at the end for all over a little bit of snow to start to a roaring south wind generated rain for most of Long Island and maybe even much of NYC like the 18z NAM had. Just take what's happening right now-temps well up in the 30s to 40 with a weaker system than the next one will be due to southerly flow.

To me, a few inches of snow for most/all is a lot better than 6" for some from White Plains north while the rest go to sleet or soak. And this system as is could have some surprises anyway.

As Clark Griswold once said..."nothing to be proud of, Rusty"

Left work 4:30 PM...went out to eat in Mt. Sinai...finished dinner about 6:45 PM...what do you know...some moderate snow showers moving through as I left restaurant...ground and parking lot snow covered...snow let up as I drove the short distance home...put 0.2" on the board out here...first measurable since March...

Gee, I waited ten months for this...and I had my head in a plate of veal parmigana while it should have been out the front window...

<wonders if that will be it...but glad shutout for season was avoided...btw...was really closer to 0.25"...but I rounded down>

Hey everyone! We had a good 3/10ths of an inch before here in the Stony Brook area from those ocean/sound enhanced snow showers. Cars and roads were completely covered and they got slick in a hurry! Was coming home and saw three quick accidents (spin outs off the road)...so I already nearly got my half inch for tonight with tonight's "main event" still on its way. As much as I loved the milder winter weather, I missed this snow excitement! ...even if it's not that big of a deal... :)

T: 31F

Wind Calm

3/10ths" Fresh Snow

Currently: Flurries

I don't care too much about QPF. I'm more interested in the strengh of the mid-level shortwave and surface wave. The basic correlation here should be the stronger the low, the greater the QPF and warmth. The 18z NAM was on the stronger, warmer, wetter side of the spectrum, and the 0z GFS is heading in the opposite direction.

I've read studies that report that ratios in our region are rarely above the 12-15:1 range and that high ratios are generally comfined to the far north and/or mountainous regions. So I generally don't assume anything outide this range and am happily surprised if the fluff factor is excessive. I generally consider large aggregated flakes to be almost as efficient at accumulating as perfect dendrites in our neck of the woods. So I would prefer a high QPF event at average ratios to a very cold dendritic light snow.

Just curious, do you have any links to these studies. Im doing a master's thesis on the microphysics within these storms so Im interested.

I don't care too much about QPF. I'm more interested in the strengh of the mid-level shortwave and surface wave. The basic correlation here should be the stronger the low, the greater the QPF and warmth. The 18z NAM was on the stronger, warmer, wetter side of the spectrum, and the 0z GFS is heading in the opposite direction.

I've read studies that report that ratios in our region are rarely above the 12-15:1 range and that high ratios are generally comfined to the far north and/or mountainous regions. So I generally don't assume anything outide this range and am happily surprised if the fluff factor is excessive. I generally consider large aggregated flakes to be almost as efficient at accumulating as perfect dendrites in our neck of the woods. So I would prefer a high QPF event at average ratios to a very cold dendritic light snow.

We have had better ratios than that before:

http://www.njfreeways.com/weather/2005/22-Jan-05.html

I believe we pushed passed 15-1 ratios for this one easily. It can happen.

No-siree. I'll take the few inches of snow to maybe light sleet/ZR at the end for all over a little bit of snow to start to a roaring south wind generated rain for most of Long Island and maybe even much of NYC like the 18z NAM had. Just take what's happening right now-temps well up in the 30s to 40 with a weaker system than the next one will be due to southerly flow.

To me, a few inches of snow for most/all is a lot better than 6" for some from White Plains north while the rest go to sleet or soak. And this system as is could have some surprises anyway.

I agree. Especially from the perspective of NYC southeast. But I still believe an evolution similar to the 18z depiction would be snowier than model soundings suggest. I think the NAM was suspiciously warm between 800 and 925mb with such weak thermal advection at those levels. And despite a stronger surface low tracking close to LI, the surface stayed pretty cold until the very end. I think something close to that depiction would result is widespread high advisory/ low end warning criteria snowfall except for eastern LI and the SE shoreline.

As Clark Griswold once said..."nothing to be proud of, Rusty"

Yup...silly me; just checked the obs thread. A couple of tenths here and there. Some very close to here, but as far as measureable for us, its still a shutout.

I saw a post before with someone poo-pooing ocean effect on LI. It is not unheard of to get OES on a south or SE wind out ahead of a clipper. Delta-T's tonight are about 16c, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Anyone who hasn't seen it before might really enjoy the radar loop over Suffolk County on the page linked below. Click the image at the linked page; the image pasted below is static.:

http://www.northshor...oes20050119.asp

OES20050119-1813-cropped1.gif

That was the coldest nor'easter I have ever seen.

It won't be that cold.

For example, at noon, it was just 9 degrees with heavy snow.

Oh don't get me wrong I am not expecting that with this storm, just that in general it can happen. eduugs was stating that he has seen studies that shows we do not get beyond 15-1 so I was just showing that the study may be inaccurate and greater than 15-1 ratios have happened before in this area. I was living right on the Hudson river in Jersey City at that time and I measured 14 inches and we certainly didn't exceed .9-1 inches of qpf on that one from what I recall.

Just curious, do you have any links to these studies. Im doing a master's thesis on the microphysics within these storms so Im interested.

Here is a paper from a few years ago in AMS.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/WAF903.1

This is not what I was referring to. What I remember reading was something more regionally based - possibility out of a climate center at Cornell. But there are some cool histograms in the paper. Low density snowfall does occur, but rarely during high precip events. And even at Albany, a significant majority of snowfall events exhibited average ratios below 15:1.

Oh don't get me wrong I am not expecting that with this storm, just that in general it can happen. eduugs was stating that he has seen studies that shows we do not get beyond 15-1 so I was just showing that the study may be inaccurate and greater than 15-1 ratios have happened before in this area. I was living in Jersey City at that time and i measured 14 inches and we certainly didn't exceed 1 in qpf on that one from what I recall.

Very high ratios do occur and can occur here. But I don't believe it's very common to exceed 15:1 due to our latitude and proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.

Archived