• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Snowstorm Potential 1/21 Part II

earthlight

Closing in on crunch time, a moderate snowstorm now seems like a potential KU after 13 months of tropical summer.

Excitement is in the air. Metfan is pacing up and down the isles of CVS, joshua is telling his clients the results of the models in the courtroom, tmagan is gathering up a plethora of Canadian model guidance images for tonight that nobody will ever be able to find again, and somewhere...in a far away land...nzucker is preparing his snowboard with a 6" sheet of ice on top of a 1,300ft mountain of tube socks.

Finally, good evening and let's kick this off with some good discussion. Have at it boys.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Closing in on crunch time, a moderate snowstorm now seems like a potential KU after 13 months of tropical summer.

Excitement is in the air. Metfan is pacing up and down the isles of CVS, joshua is telling his clients the results of the models in the courtroom, tmagan is gathering up a plethora of Canadian model guidance images for tonight that nobody will ever be able to find again, and somewhere...in a far away land...nzucker is preparing his snowboard with a 6" sheet of ice on top of a 1,300ft mountain of tube socks.

Finally, good evening and let's kick this off with some good discussion. Have at it boys.

I think nzucker is on his way home tomorrow to see it snow... :weenie:

I'm not totally sure as it's a decent drive and I do have some potential plans....but I am considering,.

You've really brought some bad luck to NH - must be an abysmal winter up there if you're willing to drive 3-4 hours for a 3-4" snowfall. How much snow have you had thus far in Rindge?

I'm gonna be in Philly starting Friday night SO I'M PROLLY GONNA MISS THE BIG TOTALS DAMNIT!!!!N DFKgnsdfkl;gsjdglkdfjgdlkgfg

I'm still waiting for a bigger storm than the 4 incher we had back in October here in Villanova, just NW of Philly. This event will probably fall short. Pretty amazing - saw plows going before Halloween this year - if someone told me on that day, "this is your largest snowfall until the end of Jan or after" I probably wouldn't have believed them.

I hate the term 'ocean effect' or 'sound effect' here, because it is nearly impossible with southerly winds. The delta 850 mb temp. and ocean temp. is not high enough to be purely ocean effect here, you need a convergence zone to get this precip. going. The OKX vwp shown below shows southerly winds up to 5,000 feet here help.

The 00Z SYNOP and METAR observations plotted here with streamline analysis show a convergence zone over eastern Long Island which is aiding in the snow showers there.

You've really brought some bad luck to NH - must be an abysmal winter up there if you're willing to drive 3-4 hours for a 3-4" snowfall. How much snow have you had thus far in Rindge?

Well, we've had around 40" here, mostly courtesy of the 10/29 storm that dropped 25"...since then it's been pretty abysmal in the Monadnocks. We only have 2" of snow cover now at 1200' elevation in SW NH, brutal. I'm also a bit inclined to get home since being on campus with special needs kids can be a bit stressful, and I don't get that much time off..I'm on duty the following weekend.

Well, we've had around 40" here, mostly courtesy of the 10/29 storm that dropped 25"...since then it's been pretty abysmal in the Monadnocks. We only have 2" of snow cover now at 1200' elevation in SW NH, brutal. I'm also a bit inclined to get home since being on campus with special needs kids can be a bit stressful, and I don't get that much time off..I'm on duty the following weekend.

I hear you. How's the job treating you? Although difficult I'm sure it's pretty rewarding; I've been thinking about possibly exploring that avenue as a teacher ( working with special needs, autistic students).

40" is a lot better than we've had here. That's actually a lot more than I expected you'd say, given the past 2 months.

I hear you. How's the job treating you? Although difficult I'm sure it's pretty rewarding; I've been thinking about possibly exploring that avenue as a teacher ( working with special needs, autistic students).

40" is a lot better than we've had here. That's actually a lot more than I expected you'd say, given the past 2 months.

The job definitely has its rewarding moments...you see a lot of growth with special-needs students, especially at a boarding school. We have students with Asperger's (high functioning autism), schizophrenia, and other social/emotional problems. They can be incredibly gifted and determined but also incredibly disruptive. I tend to find the job a little bit exhausted considering the schedule at a boarding school and the high-maintenance nature of these kids, but it is definitely worth it in the long term. I am looking at fellowships with DC and NYC next year, just applied for those so should at least get interviews. They would cover my Masters and the salary would be better than working at a small boarding school.

We have only had 15" though in Nov/Dec/Jan, and the current snowpack is in an abysmal state for our elevation in NH. The mega-band in the October storm was exciting, and the action has picked up in the last week, but it is definitely a sub-par winter for the Monadnocks. We were around +6 for November and December, and January is running +5 I believe. The cutter should add to that a lot.

The job definitely has its rewarding moments...you see a lot of growth with special-needs students, especially at a boarding school. We have students with Asperger's (high functioning autism), schizophrenia, and other social/emotional problems. They can be incredibly gifted and determined but also incredibly disruptive. I tend to find the job a little bit exhausted considering the schedule at a boarding school and the high-maintenance nature of these kids, but it is definitely worth it in the long term. I am looking at fellowships with DC and NYC next year, just applied for those so should at least get interviews. They would cover my Masters and the salary would be better than working at a small boarding school.

We have only had 15" though in Nov/Dec/Jan, and the current snowpack is in an abysmal state for our elevation in NH. The mega-band in the October storm was exciting, and the action has picked up in the last week, but it is definitely a sub-par winter for the Monadnocks. We were around +6 for November and December, and January is running +5 I believe. The cutter should add to that a lot.

Yeah, teaching is a fairly tiring job as is; I can imagine it's even moreso with special needs, but I definitely agree it's worth it. Good luck w/ your future endeavors, the fellowships sound interesting. But don't do DC, or you'll be guaranteed a crappy winter, lol.

Archived