joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Synoptic Event jan 20-22

wolfie09

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick glance at the 0Z ECMWF shows a nice classic overunner event Friday night into Saturday. Heaviest would be the I-86 corridor. > 5" up to the I-90 corridor. More modest amounts as the progress north of there. Low exits the northern NJ coast Saturday.

Then another trough digs in the Northeast days 6-8 with rain to snow anafrontal fashion and a major coastal low forming in time to dump on New England.

The seesaw winter of 2011-12 continues, but lots of wx intrigue.

FWIW nam hr 84

Quick glance at the 0Z ECMWF shows a nice classic overunner event Friday night into Saturday. Heaviest would be the I-86 corridor. > 5" up to the I-90 corridor. More modest amounts as the progress north of there. Low exits the northern NJ coast Saturday.

Then another trough digs in the Northeast days 6-8 with rain to snow anafrontal fashion and a major coastal low forming in time to dump on New England.

The seesaw winter of 2011-12 continues, but lots of wx intrigue.

Euro seems to be most aggressive with the Saturday event right now...suggests a solid 3-6" event with maybe some 6+ amounts in the high terrain. GFS/Canadian a bit more modest, but still a decent 2-4" event. NAM looks warm, but it is 84 hours out.

But see-saw is right. Definitely not anyone's preferred winter pattern...but given how December went...as long as it keeps things interesting and give us some occasional shots at snowfall, I'll take it.

Surprised there's not more interest in this given how inactive this winter has been.

Most places look good for 1-2" tomorrow night (likely <1" here in the valley)...then models painting the picture of a decent 2-4" snowfall on Saturday...potentially more in a few spots. 18z NAM never disappoints on QPF, 0.4-0.5" up to ALB for the Saturday event.

KBUF is calling for 1-2 inches from the cold front followed by a few more inches with "Heavy" but brief LES folllowing the passage of the front. Latest Hazardous weather outlook.

A BAND OF LAKE ENHANCED SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER METRO

BUFFALO AND SURROUNDING AREAS OF THE NIAGARA FRONTIER THURSDAY

AFTERNOON...THEN MOVE SOUTH OF THE AREA THURSDAY EVENING. THIS MAY

PRODUCE A QUICK BURST HEAVY SNOW NEAR THE EVENING RUSH HOUR WITH

2 TO 3 INCHES OF ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE...PRODUCING A VERY

DIFFICULT AFTERNOON DRIVE. GUSTY WINDS WILL ALSO PRODUCE BLOWING

AND DRIFTING SNOW THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

The storm on Friday looks quite good for this area as well, some of the local mets are calling for 5-7 inches already around here. Have to wait and see I guess....

Quite interesting, noticed this at the end of the NWS discussion. Truly shows you how unstable models have been this year, they can barely predict temperature beyond 7 days...

THE MAJOR WARM-UP THAT HAD BEEN ADVERTISED BY BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF

FOR SEVERAL DAYS EARLY NEXT WEEK IS NO LONGER...WITH BOTH MODELS

BACKING OFF AND RESTRICTING THE WARM AIR TO JUST MONDAY. AFTER THAT

COOLER AIR FILTERS BACK IN...ALTHOUGH TEMPS MAY STILL RUN A LITTLE

ABOVE AVERAGE WITH JUST A CHANCE OF A LITTLE LIGHT SNOW.

THE MAJOR WARM-UP THAT HAD BEEN ADVERTISED BY BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF

FOR SEVERAL DAYS EARLY NEXT WEEK IS NO LONGER...WITH BOTH MODELS

BACKING OFF AND RESTRICTING THE WARM AIR TO JUST MONDAY. AFTER THAT

COOLER AIR FILTERS BACK IN...ALTHOUGH TEMPS MAY STILL RUN A LITTLE

ABOVE AVERAGE WITH JUST A CHANCE OF A LITTLE LIGHT SNOW.

I find this quite interesting, since it seemed like a "lock" just a couple days ago that the entire northeast was in for a mega torch for at least a few days next week. Definitely nice to see things trend in the cooler direction for a change this winter.

KBGM

EVENT SHD BE BRIEF HWVR AS FLOW VEERS AHD OF SAT/S SYSTEM. FAR

ENUF OUT WHERE THE TRACK IS UNCERTAIN...SO PCPN TYPE IN QUESTION

OVER NE PA. MODEL QPF HAS INCRSD AND USING STANDARD SNOW/WATER

RATIOS...DEFINITE PSPBLTY OF A DECENT WIDESPREAD SYNOPTIC

SNOW...WITH CRNT BEST LOCATION FOR SNOW ACROSS THE NY/PA BRDR INTO

THE WRN CATS. HARD TO BELIEVE BUT THIS WLD REALLY BE THE FIRST

TRUE STORM OF THE SEASON...IF YOU FORGET OCT/S EVENT. NAM IS

CRNTLY THE WARMEST OF THE MODELS WITH THE GFS THE COLDEST.

COMPROMISE COMES FROM THE EURO WHICH WLD LIKELY BE AN ALL SNOW

EVENT NORTH OF THE WYOMING VLY. HAVE INCLUDED THE PSBLTY OF A MIX

IN THE SOUTH...OTRW KEPT THE FCST ALL SNOW ATTM.

Clippers like the one Thu night almost always underperform in the Hudson Valley. I'm expecting a dusting down here and an inch in the Helderbergs. Sat looks more interesting. I'm expecting 2-4" in the valley right now and 3-5" in the hills. 0Z NAM puts out .46" at Alb with probably at least 12 to 1 ratio's, but I'm feeling conservative for now..... although isentropic lift looks impressive. Wave won't really be over rawindsonde network until Thu night.

Now the 0Z GFS crushes Saturday's system and lowered qpf in ALB to .15 or lower. Probably typical GFS nonsense ...I won't buy that until the Euro wavers. It has been very consistent.

Clippers like the one Thu night almost always underperform in the Hudson Valley. I'm expecting a dusting down here and an inch in the Helderbergs. Sat looks more interesting. I'm expecting 2-4" in the valley right now and 3-5" in the hills. 0Z NAM puts out .46" at Alb with probably at least 12 to 1 ratio's, but I'm feeling conservative for now..... although isentropic lift looks impressive. Wave won't really be over rawindsonde network until Thu night.

I still think tomorrow night could produce an inch even in the valley...but it could be hit or miss. I'd say 1-2" in the high terrain though...spot 3" amounts.

As for Saturday I agree with a conservative outlook for now. But these SW flow events can be under forecasted by models in the medium and long range...they often overperform with respect to 72-84 hr forecasts. As long as this thing doesn't trend south...or suddenly become a torch in the next few model cycles...it should be safe to bump up those amounts. I think whoever jackpots on this thing...could easily be in the 6-10" range when all is said and done...with the upper end of that range needing to be aided by some elevation.

Now the 0Z GFS crushes Saturday's system and lowered qpf in ALB to .15 or lower. Probably typical GFS nonsense ...I won't buy that until the Euro wavers. It has been very consistent.

The plus side with the 0z GFS being further south is that it has much colder air than the NAM with 850 mb temperatures around -10C, meaning that snow ratios are going to be fairly high.

Archived