• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Thread

Flakes have finally started here...

The nam is a bit concerning for the weekend, but it's hard to go against the GFS/Euro 36 hours out. The negative trend in the nao should produce a system that resembles the global models.

Just had a look at the 15z SREFs.. way better than 9z. Even MDT gets into the slug of half decent 4"+ probs that work its way thru the middle of PA. Still reflecting the NAM's insistence on more mixing though. Lots of sleet probs in the central counties under I-80 and most of the southern tier at/under the turnpike in probs mainly split between freezing rain and snow. The exception is that SW corner of PA off of the Laurels that looks to be mainly rain on the SREFs.

Also, I wonder how much more this warm up next week gets dampened if we do manage to lay down a snowpack over most/all of PA with this weekend system.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For having peaks of only ~1000 feet above their surroundings, these Alleghenies are sure putting up a good fight against the snow to the west... :thumbsdown:

http://www.meteo.psu...P/animauto.html

Otherwise, the Saturday system looks to be the best "storm" to hit the region all winter! (That's not saying much)

Give it an hr or so. It'll break over the mountains at some point.

CTP still thinks ice is the main issue for some reason.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

411 PM EST THU JAN 19 2012

PAZ024-033>035-200515-

/O.NEW.KCTP.WS.A.0001.120121T0300Z-120121T1500Z/

CAMBRIA-SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JOHNSTOWN...SOMERSET...BEDFORD...

MCCONNELLSBURG

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH

SATURDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH

SATURDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...JOHNSTOWN...SOMERSET AND BEDFORD.

* HAZARD TYPES...WINTERY MIX...MAINLY FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO ONE QUARTER INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...8 PM FRIDAY EVENING UNTIL 10 AM SATURDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...ICY ROADS AND SIDEWALKS LEADING TO HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.

* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 20S.

Just had a look at the 15z SREFs.. way better than 9z. Even MDT gets into the slug of half decent 4"+ probs that work its way thru the middle of PA. Still reflecting the NAM's insistence on more mixing though. Lots of sleet probs in the central counties under I-80 and most of the southern tier at/under the turnpike in probs mainly split between freezing rain and snow. The exception is that SW corner of PA off of the Laurels that looks to be mainly rain on the SREFs.

Also, I wonder how much more this warm up next week gets dampened if we do manage to lay down a snowpack over most/all of PA with this weekend system.

I think that's getting picked up on too. There's plenty of snow to our west now, as well. The U.S. on a whole should have the most widespread snow cover of the winter (so far) after this weekend.

All of the indicies are heading negative or neutral at the end of the month. Should preclude a cool and stormy pattern. I like the idea of snow and 30°, instead of snow and 15°.

CTP still thinks ice is the main issue for some reason.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

PAZ024-033>035-200515-

/O.NEW.KCTP.WS.A.0001.120121T0300Z-120121T1500Z/

CAMBRIA-SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JOHNSTOWN...SOMERSET...BEDFORD...

MCCONNELLSBURG

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH

SATURDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH

SATURDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...JOHNSTOWN...SOMERSET AND BEDFORD.

* HAZARD TYPES...WINTERY MIX...MAINLY FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO ONE QUARTER INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...8 PM FRIDAY EVENING UNTIL 10 AM SATURDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...ICY ROADS AND SIDEWALKS LEADING TO HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.

* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 20S.

they dont like the all / mostly snow here either

i thought i had a chance at all snow for this but according to them not so much.

Friday: A slight chance of snow after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 24. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming southeast. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: Snow, mainly after 7pm. Low around 20. East wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Saturday: Snow and sleet before 10am, then freezing rain likely. High near 32. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

they dont like the all / mostly snow here either

i thought i had a chance at all snow for this but according to them not so much.

Friday: A slight chance of snow after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 24. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming southeast. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: Snow, mainly after 7pm. Low around 20. East wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Saturday: Snow and sleet before 10am, then freezing rain likely. High near 32. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Must only be looking at the NAM or something. lol

Yea I don't get that... at all. They must be riding the NAM/SREFs hard. But not even that guidance suggests anything other than all snow up where 2001kx is. I really don't even see high enough probs in the SREF to really think that widespread warning criteria ZR happens in the watch counties save for maybe the ridges in western Somerset county.

Yea I don't get that... at all. They must be riding the NAM/SREFs hard. But not even that guidance suggests anything other than all snow up where 2001kx is. I really don't even see high enough probs in the SREF to really think that widespread warning criteria ZR happens in the watch counties save for maybe the ridges in western Somerset county.

well i guess time will tell...would be nice to pick up a solid 3-5" / 4-6"

Watches up for westmoreland and fayette ridges too.

definitely riding the srefs... without a doubt

Coming down good there it looks like.

http://www.mjpeg.net/webcams/11272

Yea I sat under that initial band of 30-35dbz for about an hour and had nothing but flurries with it. That moved on through and now getting more established moderate snowfall from the stuff enhancing from the west. Really kinda baffling why it started snowing and then just stopped when I was under returns as high as they were.. but its def snowing decently now.

Yea I sat under that initial band of 30-35dbz for about an hour and had nothing but flurries with it. That moved on through and now getting more established moderate snowfall from the stuff enhancing from the west. Really kinda baffling why it started snowing and then just stopped when I was under returns as high as they were.. but its def snowing decently now.

Yeah, it didn't do that in Port Matilda.

I am still at work in the Rider Bldg....wife has an appointment. Kind of nervous about leaving here at 7 pm for the drive home.

Yeah, it didn't do that in Port Matilda.

I am still at work in the Rider Bldg....wife has an appointment. Kind of nervous about leaving here at 7 pm for the drive home.

Oh wow, snow on the roads and everything.. maybe all that blew over my head on the way to your house haha.

Archived