• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
West coast speculation

usedtobe

I'm really more interested in what might happen along the west coast from northern Ca into Washington. Their pattern could put them in heavy precip or cold.

post-70-0-84618800-1326209214.gif

Now look at how wet a couple of the members are for northern CA. Before I retired I did a climo study of the 10 biggest rainfall events for the northern CA area and a large number of them had a massive positive height anomaly over or just west of AK. Note where the anomaly is for the biggest event.

http://www.hpc.ncep....les/Page298.htm

for the second biggest

http://www.hpc.ncep....les/Page298.htm

for the third biggest

http://www.hpc.ncep....les/Page312.htm

On all three note where the positive anomalies are and then compare them with

post-70-0-59577000-1326209257.gif

I guess the question is whether the floodgates will open in the west and if so what that means for the rest of the county. How the trofiness digs on the easterrn side of the giant positive anomlay will ultimately determine whether the west coast ends up cold from flow coming down from AK and western Canada or wet if the upper trof/low develops far enough west to tap into pacific moisture.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for starting this thread, Wes. As our region grows and activity increases daily, thoughts of you and other fine Pros will go along way to helping bring activity to the entire community. Thanks again, my friend...;)

Guidance has been trending toward the Pac jet undercutting the -EPO, which doesn't fit with the MJO analogs for Phase 4 (where the ECM is trending).

JanuaryPhase4.gif

It wettiing up is predicated on the undercutting of the massive -epo ridge. Having the positive anomaly that far north I think does teleconnect with either undercutting of almost some type of Rex blocking look developing with the low to the southeast of the block producing enough onshore flow and storminess to get the pac northwest wet. Of course we're still dealing with model forecast of the ridge so I could just be spewing garbage but it's worth watching.

Good discussion...certainly the potential is there... on the things that can go wrong are, for example, if the Bering strait ridge retrogrades a little faster than forecasted before there's any significant s/w impulse along the undercutting jet... in that case the winners would be along the W coast of Canada... looking at teleconnections, there's little hope for a +PNA pattern for the next 2 weeks, so I don't think that would dash hopes for CA, OR and WA

Good discussion...certainly the potential is there... on the things that can go wrong are, for example, if the Bering strait ridge retrogrades a little faster than forecasted before there's any significant s/w impulse along the undercutting jet... in that case the winners would be along the W coast of Canada... looking at teleconnections, there's little hope for a +PNA pattern for the next 2 weeks, so I don't think that would dash hopes for CA, OR and WA

I think the threat is greatest for WA and OR and well and Vancouver Island but could see it getting down to nrn CA if things played out the right way for them.

The pics I've seen of ski resorts in the Sierra are really depressing. They could use some moisture.

This still could stay north of them, especially the southern Sierra parts as they typically don't do well in a nina. From SFO norhtward is a different story as OR and WA typically have their wettest years during ninas.

The 12Z Euro is rather impressive for the Pacific NW suggesting a potent storm and some very cold temps building in NW Canada spilling S. The Bering Sea block is notably strong as well.

post-32-0-89805600-1326220726.gif

post-32-0-37315500-1326220741.gif

Steve having a cold surge like the euro is forecasting and putting down some snow in the Cascades and Olympics is one of the way to later sow the seeds for flooding. Below I've posted the GFS ensemble mean and which still probably would be snow across the cascades. However, if you retrograde everything a little then you get southwest flow into the same areas which can raise the snow levels.

And the operational day 10 forecast. Note a couple of strong storms stacked up aimed at the PAC Nw with the trough setting up to the southwest of the monster upper ridge.

Yea, that's great and all but what does this mean for the mid-atlantic?? ;)

The CO rockies are hurtin something fierce just like the tahoe resorts in CA. With the exception of the very far sw resort of wolf creek, all resorts are way behind where they should be for this time of year.

It's encouraging to see the potential for moist pacific flow to potentially invade OR & WA, That is generally the best orientation for good orographic snows for the central and northern CO mountains. The best snows in the n central and northern rockies will come from orographic events from a strong jet on a W to NW flow. Closed lows are generally only good for the SW portion of the state.

If the firehouse does set up into OR and WA then UT and the northern half of the CO rockies can make up some ground in a hurry. They could sure use it for skiing season and filling the reservoirs in the spring.

Or that we have interesting weather too... :P

I lived in the n central CO rockies from 92-99. I freekin loved the weather (except for the summer monsoon season. that was kind of a bummer every year).

Sunny days were awesome too. Crystal blue skies and puffy cumulus and no humidity. High based thunderstorms were alot of fun. You had a choice to avoid them or drive right into them. Whichever you preferred. I love the 4 seasons of the mid-atlantic but if I had to choose a location based on weather alone, I'll take the rockies over just about anywhere.

The medium/long range guidance continues to advertise an active pattern for the Pacific NW and possibly N CA. The longer range GFS indicates the Pacific will remain active with multiple storms systems and even drought easing rains across the Southern Plains and Texas.

PRELIMINARY EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

736 AM EST WED JAN 11 2012

VALID 12Z SUN JAN 15 2012 - 12Z WED JAN 18 2012

TELECONNECTIONS WITH STRONG POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE MID-LEVEL HEIGHT

ANOMALIES OVER THE BERING SEA AND BRITISH COLUMBIA RESPECTIVELY

TOWARD THE END OF THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD FAVOR A MEAN LONGWAVE

TROUGH OVER THE BRITISH COLUMBIA WITH STRONG ZONAL FLOW FROM ASIA

ACROSS THE PACIFIC INTO THE U.S. WEST AND EASTWARD INTO THE

ATLANTIC. THIS KEEPS BELOW AVG HTS AND COLD WET CONDITIONS IN THE

PACIFIC NORTHWEST. HIGHER HTS ARE FORECAST BY MEANS AND

TELECONNECTIONS ACROSS ERN CONUS. DETERMINISTIC MODEL AGREEMENT IS

QUITE GOOD RIGHT THROUGH DAYS 6/7 TUES/WED. UPDATED MORNING

PRELIMS BLEND BOTH OPERATIONAL GFS AND ECMWF AND THEIR MEANS.

INCREASING SNOWFALL AND AT LOWER ELEVATIONS OVER THE PERIOD IN

WA/OR WITH LONGER TERM CONTINUED WET CONDITIONS FOR THE

FORESEEABLE FUTURE ACROSS MUCH OF THE WEST COAST.

Steve, I think you and I are the only ones interested in this upcoming firehose. I looked at the CPC D+11 superensemble mean that identified dates based on the 5 day period centered on day 11. two of the 10 dates identified were top 10 rainfall events since 1950 for the SFO/SAC up to almost the OR border events. These type events typically are not limited to one but come with multiple storms. You can kind of see that by looking at the 180 hr ens members and then another grouping around day 11.

post-70-0-09115000-1326295144.gif

post-70-0-25901400-1326295168.gif

Note how many members show yellows along the west coast of CA on the two separate panels

Steve, I think you and I are the only ones interested in this upcoming firehose. I looked at the CPC D+11 superensemble mean that identified dates based on the 5 day period centered on day 11. two of the 10 dates identified were top 10 rainfall events since 1950 for the SFO/SAC up to almost the OR border events. These type events typically are not limited to one but come with multiple storms. You can kind of see that by looking at the 180 hr ens members and then another grouping around day 11.

My hunch were are not the only one watching this, Wes. If the pattern holds true, a trip out West to Shasta may be in the works for a little ski trip... ;)

I am watching too. I am from Portland Oregon so even if I dont live there anymore I keep tabs. It appears like I might get rain here too but I am wanting snow, its definitely cloes though. Do you guys think I will get some snow here? Some solutions show just that while others are high and dry.

The new Euro has almost all of western OR and NW CA over 5" total precip through 240 hours with an even stronger system headed in at 240. Whenever you get a closed off upper high over or near AK it opens the floodgates. The northern Sierra should really do well, with the southern sections getting less but still more than recently.

Archived