Newest Member
    joxey
Van Denton's Weather Discussion

iceman

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

boy you don't know much, you might want to compare to other local mets

LOL no boy here. Grown azz man. I have been watching Van for 2 decades and he sucks. Eric Chilton is the only reliable Met around here. Van called for a light dusting on the Jan. 2000 2 feet storm.

Van Denton FOX8 WGHP TV

It appears the last half of January will be colder and possibly active. Snow fans, your time may be soon.

Don't read too much into this....but something to chew on. 1959-60 was our snowiest winter on record. However, Dec and January had very little.

Dec 1959 41.4 avg temp was near normal Snowfall Trace way below normal

Jan 1960 39.7 avg temp was also near normal Snowfall 1.8 inches below normal

Feb 1960 38.7 was a little colder than normal Snowfall 8.6 inches well above normal

Mar 1960 35.1 was the coldest on record for a March Snowfall 21.3 Way above normal

With regard to El Nino or La Nina....it was considered to be neither.

http://ggweather.com/enso/years.htm

El Nino La Nina Seasons Years Consensusggweather.com

Expert on California and San Francisco Bay Weather and Climate.

Like · · Share · 2 hours ago ·

He said keep eyes on Sunday could be interesting. He said one model showed something but wouldn't say anything until more followed. Nobody else mentioned a thing

Okay.

Seems like we got a good crowd from his viewing area. Surely this thread won't be a waste. I will update this thread w/ his comments on Facebook for everyone to discuss. Or his maps when warranted.

Being a good family man has nothing to do with his forecasting ability.

Missed the point on that one lol...

Anyway, I can't really argue w/ you much on that matter.

I was told he used to post on these forums. I am sure he can handle the negativity given the nasty phone calls he receives when someone gets mad it's raining with a 20% chance situation...let's just all try to be civil. Your constructive criticism post is okay tho. I just don't want to feel bad for starting something that he may come across!

I like him, and Austin Caviness on 12. Met both of them, Still Robert kills them.

+1 Both are the best 2 tv mets in the area IMO (sorry/ can't get Mr East on Direct TV). I could call on the carpet other tv mets in the triad who have little to no substance in their forecast on a regular basis. But what point does it serve to sit around and waste time bashing someone you don't agree with. I think it's wise to give some credence to the fact there is not a forcaster/met alive today that hasn't been wrong on more than one occasion.

before long we will have a thread on all of our local mets and find that they all about the same as all they do is follow the models. If model shows it they predict it then they change daily as model changes. Very few will say their opinion like Frank Deal use to

I grew up in Burlington. I loved me some Frank Deal. I never had the privilege of meeting him, but he seemed like he would be a very nice guy. He made the weather fun. I remember when they brought Van on. WGHP hyped him up in advance of his arrival.

Van Denton FOX8 WGHP TV

IF the 18z GFS model is correct....we would get snow on Sunday.....Jan 15th. At the moment, the other models show NOTHING. However, this model did a good job last week with the storm that is headed our way on Wed of this week. The others don't show anything....yet! Looking forward to seeing tonight and tomorrow's computer model runs. Will stay on top of this.

392761_323303947702656_129607027072350_1057235_1881865419_n.jpg

Like · · Share · about a minute ago ·

+1 Both are the best 2 tv mets in the area IMO (sorry/ can't get Mr East on Direct TV). I could call on the carpet other tv mets in the triad who have little to no substance in their forecast on a regular basis. But what point does it serve to sit around and waste time bashing someone you don't agree with. I think it's wise to give some credence to the fact there is not a forcaster/met alive today that hasn't been wrong on more than one occasion.

East told me last week he is on channel 45 at 630am now. he is right i've watched him all week

Van Denton FOX8 WGHP TV

IF the 18z GFS model is correct....we would get snow on Sunday.....Jan 15th. At the moment, the other models show NOTHING. However, this model did a good job last week with the storm that is headed our way on Wed of this week. The others don't show anything....yet! Looking forward to seeing tonight and tomorrow's computer model runs. Will stay on top of this.

392761_323303947702656_129607027072350_1057235_1881865419_n.jpg

Like · · Share · about a minute ago ·

So this thread is evolving into yet another discussion thread for something that only the GFS is picking up at this point several days away?

...we don't need a new thread for everything.

So this thread is evolving into yet another discussion thread for something that only the GFS is picking up at this point several days away?

Actually I think this is the first storm the gfs looks to be out to lunch on this year. It's really been the euro showing the fantasy storms in the medium range. While the gfs has been Dr. No!

Archived