• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Van Denton's Weather Discussion

iceman

ha ha..somehow I knew you would come back with this "I told you so" and get the last word in :lol: ....I saw your point before, but the other point is what I mentioned before, that when mets play it safe and don't mention a possibiity and suddenly a day or before say, Oh..it's looking like snow now, people are like, wow.where did that come from, they were calling for 50 degrees and rain all week! That can be just as annoying, and can reflect just as poorly on the met IMO. I think it's all in how people perceive it, so there isn't really a right or wrong way to forecast, it's all a matter of a persons preference which is why luckily, we all have the choice to follow the met of our choice. I personally like the way Van forecasts and gives us insight in advance. It is truly unfortunate that people can't understand it is weather, and weather changes constantly.

Completely agree. Broadcast mets have a tough job no doubt, and they can't please everyone, or even try....but I don't want my go to met to be the equivalent of John Fox football....annoyingly conservative.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the outcome I was expecting when I first saw Powerstroke mention that Van had put mixed precipitation in the forecast 8 days ahead of the event. You could see it coming a mile away. This is exactly why I said it is always better to play it safe when you are forecasting weather in the public sector and in position that has a huge following. He really paid for it on Saturday when the complaints started rolling in on Facebook. He has since deleted most of them. It is like everyone saw the forecast eight days earlier and never bothered to check it again.

It may be necessary but I won't go with better. It's like deciding to stop all model runs at 72 hours because what is shown further out may not happen.

You could always go with the Greg Fishel "question mark" approach in the 7 day graphic. :D

I think it's pretty stupid that mets take so much heat for this kind of stuff. There's really no right way to do a 7 day outlook. Be bold or be timid -- whatever approach works best for you. But whatever your style is, own it, be proud of it, and don't apologize for it, no matter what the uneducated say. That's my opinion.

You could always go with the Greg Fishel "question mark" approach in the 7 day graphic. :D

I think it's pretty stupid that mets take so much heat for this kind of stuff. There's really no right way to do a 7 day outlook. Be bold or be timid -- whatever approach works best for you. But whatever your style is, own it, be proud of it, and don't apologize for it, no matter what the uneducated say. That's my opinion.

Great conclusion!

Yea, I understand that, But what models showing today you would think he would have high near 40 or so, not 50? But he may be right! I know people take Mets out of context all the time, like you said can't listen just see picture...

Toeing the line.

NWS Raleigh

Tuesday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Safety!

Apparently 50 was not safe enough.

Tuesday: A slight chance of rain between 10am and 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 54. Calm wind becoming south between 11 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

I really feel bad for Van. Regardless of what happens, he still has to put up with a lot of crap. Here is his latest post on Facebook:

Van Denton FOX8 WGHP TV

In case you know this person and they wonder why they can no longer see this page.......They have been removed and banned from posting on my page.

We said all along it would be a cold rain and then a chance for snow late.....last night stated it would likely become snow in the Triad near 5 pm......at 4:54 pm it started at PTI.

Below is what I do not appreciate..........................

Steven J Arnao

What happened,just a cold rain. you got us all hyped up again for nothing

Like · · 3 hours ago

I really feel bad for Van. Regardless of what happens, he still has to put up with a lot of crap. Here is his latest post on Facebook:

Van Denton FOX8 WGHP TV

In case you know this person and they wonder why they can no longer see this page.......They have been removed and banned from posting on my page.

We said all along it would be a cold rain and then a chance for snow late.....last night stated it would likely become snow in the Triad near 5 pm......at 4:54 pm it started at PTI.

Below is what I do not appreciate..........................

Steven J Arnao

What happened,just a cold rain. you got us all hyped up again for nothing

Like · · 3 hours ago

Yeah. It goes with the territory though.

• Van Denton FOX8 WGHP TV
    Where do we rank (Snowfall)? Before yesterday's snowfall, many were wondering if we might have our 1st ever winter without some snow. We had 1.6" of snow at PTI. Since the winter of 1928/29 when records began there.....we now rank 16th least snowfall out of 84 winters. That puts this winter in the 19th percentile...so far.
    What are our chances for more snow this winter? 75% Trace or more
    39% Measurable
    Snow (or sleet*) has fallen (at least a trace)...62 out of the past 83 months of March. That comes to 74.6%
    Measurable March Snow has fallen in 32 of the past 83 years. That comes to a 38.5% chance for a measurable snowfall.
    *Snowfall records also include sleet and hail. Like · · Share · about a minute ago ·

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Randy Jackson still on Fox8 and no mention of Van on the Fox8 website. Again, anybody know what's going on? I got a bad feeling.

TW

He's still on the website as chief meteorologist and his "Van's Weather Kid" page is still up. Probably just on vacation.

Archived