joxey
christmas snow, probalby no

usedtobe

'Twas the night before Christmas,

And all through the house,

Not a creature was stirring

Except for a mouse

In the hand of a user perusing the weather,

Watching for snow and becoming untethered.

As the GFS passed and the NAM and the EURO,

There was only one thing this poor man could be sure o'.

That whatever clouds they might pass overhead,

The 850 zero was too far north instead.

And though he kept up in late anticipation

Still there was no sign of white precipitation.

And the forum was silent and quiet that night,

Until out came the JMA and it was a sight!

"On Ian, on Matt, on Jason and Wes,

This night it is Christmas so with snow us bless."

But no flake came, and so saddened was he,

That he slept through that Christmas all day, did that Ji.

'Twas the night before Christmas,

And all through the house,

Not a creature was stirring

Except for a mouse

In the hand of a user perusing the weather,

Watching for snow and becoming untethered.

As the GFS passed and the NAM and the EURO,

There was only one thing this poor man could be sure o'.

That whatever clouds they might pass overhead,

The 850 zero was too far north instead.

And though he kept up in late anticipation

Still there was no sign of white precipitation.

And the forum was silent and quiet that night,

Until out came the JMA and it was a sight!

"On Ian, on Matt, on Jason and Wes,

This night it is Christmas so with snow us bless."

But no flake came, and so saddened was he,

That he slept through that Christmas all day, did that Ji.

Nice poem, Ji should honored.

Nice write-up. Depressing, but not surprising. When you've been told for the last 30 days that the weather is going to suck(if you like snow), then it shouldn't come as a surprise that the weather is going to suck. As bad as I feel for Ji and Mitch, I feel a little sorry for you too. I know that you would much rather be writing weather articles about impending storms and more exciting weather. Anyway, I hope you enjoy some golf and look forward to a bit of better snow news in 2012 (hopefully not having to wait until December 2012...). Happy Holidays.

MDstorm

There are two questions concerning the warming. One it's still a model forecast, two, if it occurs will it downwell. Don Sutherland made a nice post in the SSW thread about how during the storm polar vortex events, a SSW does not always translate to the troposphere resulting in blocking. It's certainly nice to see and the 1st time I've actually gotten interested that much in a possible SSW. That said, we'll have to wait and see what it means, we also need to look at the EP flux vectors. Right now they are pointed in the wrong direction.

why dont i recall every hearing so much (or any really) talk about stratospheric warming before this winter?

Probably because we weren't dealing with the cold stratosphere on steroids desperately clinging to any hopes for blocking. I remember HM occasionally talking about warming episodes over the last few years, but I guess the cold stratosphere and lack of blocking this season has dominated the crappy pattern and the weather conversation.

P.S. I see that you and Ji are hijacking JB's twitter account.... lol...

MDstorm

Probably because we weren't dealing with the cold stratosphere on steroids desperately clinging to any hopes for blocking. I remember HM occasionally talking about warming episodes over the last few years, but I guess the cold stratosphere and lack of blocking this season has dominated the crappy pattern and the weather conversation.

MDstorm

that and the fact that there has been soooo much blocking the last 2 winters, though last year's didn't help anyone immensely until you were NE of Wilmington, DE

anyway, it's always fun to learn about new ways we get screwed in the MA :tomato:

:weep:

that and the fact that there has been soooo much blocking the last 2 winters, though last year's didn't help anyone immensely until you were NE of Wilmington, DE

anyway, it's always fun to learn about new ways we get screwed in the MA :tomato:

:weep:

Later January into February, the proverbial rubber band will snap and we will enjoy the second half of winter------or this forum can get a "special room" at Sheppard Pratt.

Archived