• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Complaint Department - share your winter pain here

JamieOber

Decided to create, like last year, a catch-all thread for complaints, weather whines, model curses, I-95-gets-all-the-snow hate, and other grievances.

That way, the obs/discussion threads are less cluttered, and those who want to vent can do it here.

Because you don't want to vent to your friends/co-workers. They already think you're weird enough and don't want to hear about how depressed you are about not getting snow (I know mine do).

I thought I moved to an area that's supposed to get snow. I've seen much more snow by this point in Portland in past winters. :P

If it makes you feel better...when I went to school at Penn State, my expectations were huge...when my sister was up there in the mid 90's...Penn State had a 109" winter (1993-94) and a 99" winter (1995-96). I was there from 1998-2002, which was I believe the least-snowy 4-year period on record. Seasonal totals during my four years were 35", 20", 32", and 22"...all well below average. The year before I came...~50"...the year after...~90". It was miserable.

Then of course, moved to North Carolina for a couple years (2004-06) and saw a grand total of 1" of snowfall in that period...only to move back north to CT to endure back to back craptacular winters (06-07 & 07-08).

Once again I've moved to what should be a snowier locale...from the coastal plain of CT...and winter has started with a whimper.

Long story short...I've been there...I know how you feel. Other than stellar winter last year in CT and a couple random events in the past 15-years...I have a tendency to repel snow.

For the most part, this is a map of how many climate divisions we have in PA. The red outlines are the general areas where the weather is drastically different, but of course is subject to individual patterns. The black/orange line is the general outline for Nor Easter type systems. I have a few different outcomes with the black/orange outline for mainly the diffence between eastern sliders, closer tracks to the coast, and benchmark. Now I realise the Nor Easters can throw precip further back towards the west but the orange outlines dictate where the best likelyhood and chance of occurance greater than 4" of snow. In the blue shadings is where the greatest likelyhood of Lake Effect events set up, and I know I left ouf the laurals and Pittsburgh areas because I'm not exactly sure where the boundaries typically set up for them. This is why the most of the posters outside these orange lines try to tell you guys were aren't favored for Nor Easter type of events, not really complaining. I made 13 general climate sections within PA, and I'm sure I could make some adjustments and you guys could help me out with that. Out of all the general climate sections I made, I feel bad for 6,7,9 and 7,9 is by far the worst place to live if you are a weather enthusiast because you are just on the outside of lake effect events and miss the most of Nor Easters and borderline on WAA/CAD events. Although section 11 can suck at times to, but they tend to get major 12"+ storms at times that section 7 has a hard time getting to occur.

This a repost from our main central PA thread, because I think this map is important and the main reason we whine but it really isn't complaining because it is true.

Region 7 extends into Renovo, Emporium and in general the river low lying region which is climate division 7.

Lycoming, Clinton, Cameron, and southern Potter county sucks for winter. To an extent Tioga sucks to but they have latitude on their side and do better in WAA events. My area kinda sucks to because we don't get major Nor Easter storms unless its 93' or something close and the major lake effect misses me aka nickle dimed. But WAA is what saves me in region 12. The reason I have part of Potter in region 8 is because of the big diffence in elevation gives them a little more lake effect than me at times and they do alot better in some Nor Easters and WAA events.

If you love being jackpoted for almost every Nor Easter you like Region 2,3 primarily and 10,4,5,1 depending on the track.

post-585-0-40493500-1323148835.jpg

post-585-0-22299800-1323148854.jpg

Nice map. I'm in your region 8, And I've thought about this similar map layout also, I could even break that region down further, lol. We're not part of the Northeast, not part of the mid-atlantic, not part of the mid-west, not part of the great lakes, we are in between them all. Usually when we get our best snowfall is when Pittsburgh, State College and Allentown are either mixing or just plain raining. That takes either a gradient pattern were storms cut across country along the I-70 corridor to the coast (93-94) or a strong inland running nor'easter coming up from the south, thru New Jersey and right up the Hudson Valley (March 93). Now we always have our 2-4, 3-6 potent Clippers that we can cash in on from time to time. Sometimes, a front end dump from a Lakes cutter can give us 6-10 inches before the change over. And of course, the lake effect which usually only amounts to an inch or two but occasionally the Huron-Erie connection can deliver 6" or more in a persistant band. We do tend to maintain our snow cover once it does fall. Even though this December seems to be a bust, I remember 77-78 and 93-94 being a similar December bust and we all know what happened after in those years.... I know..... all the atmospheric/global/solar conditions don"t match them years, but hopefully a more favorable pattern will develop and we can cash in here in north central Pa. I'm not sure what that pattern is for sure. Too much of a -NAO and the storms are suppressed. Too much of a +NAO and the storms are lake cutters. I guess we need to look at the Pacific??? Maybe someone knows what favorable conditions are?? Usually when I'm happy, people from I-80 south and I-81 east are not. Here's hoping for something better in the next few weeks ....Snowman.gif

For the most part, this is a map of how many climate divisions we have in PA. The red outlines are the general areas where the weather is drastically different, but of course is subject to individual patterns. The black/orange line is the general outline for Nor Easter type systems. I have a few different outcomes with the black/orange outline for mainly the diffence between eastern sliders, closer tracks to the coast, and benchmark. Now I realise the Nor Easters can throw precip further back towards the west but the orange outlines dictate where the best likelyhood and chance of occurance greater than 4" of snow. In the blue shadings is where the greatest likelyhood of Lake Effect events set up, and I know I left ouf the laurals and Pittsburgh areas because I'm not exactly sure where the boundaries typically set up for them. This is why the most of the posters outside these orange lines try to tell you guys were aren't favored for Nor Easter type of events, not really complaining. I made 13 general climate sections within PA, and I'm sure I could make some adjustments and you guys could help me out with that. Out of all the general climate sections I made, I feel bad for 6,7,9 and 7,9 is by far the worst place to live if you are a weather enthusiast because you are just on the outside of lake effect events and miss the most of Nor Easters and borderline on WAA/CAD events. Although section 11 can suck at times to, but they tend to get major 12"+ storms at times that section 7 has a hard time getting to occur.

This a repost from our main central PA thread, because I think this map is important and the main reason we whine but it really isn't complaining because it is true.

Region 7 extends into Renovo, Emporium and in general the river low lying region which is climate division 7.

Lycoming, Clinton, Cameron, and southern Potter county sucks for winter. To an extent Tioga sucks to but they have latitude on their side and do better in WAA events. My area kinda sucks to because we don't get major Nor Easter storms unless its 93' or something close and the major lake effect misses me aka nickle dimed. But WAA is what saves me in region 12. The reason I have part of Potter in region 8 is because of the big diffence in elevation gives them a little more lake effect than me at times and they do alot better in some Nor Easters and WAA events.

If you love being jackpoted for almost every Nor Easter you like Region 2,3 primarily and 10,4,5,1 depending on the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Winter 2011-2012 Lyrics

Here I sit witty

upon my porch

Clear, sunny and fifty

resembles a torch

Once a pimp with model lust

turned to dunce

with a forecast bust

Damned by the Euro, occasionally the NAM

constantly abused and even rammed

Most hail the GFS

Some say the Ukie, but only

Bums who like big piles of dookie

CMC burns like a stinging pee,

from a contracted STD at the DMV!

This winter is so bad I wouldn't mind being drafted,

anything is better than being maimed, beaten, and shafted!

Hahaha here is something I thought of out of model anger and winter so far lol, hope you guys like it :):pimp:

Here is a song/poem for those pissed about the winter lol, hope it cheers you guys up!

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to create, like last year, a catch-all thread for complaints, weather whines, model curses, I-95-gets-all-the-snow hate, and other grievances.

That way, the obs/discussion threads are less cluttered, and those who want to vent can do it here.

Because you don't want to vent to your friends/co-workers. They already think you're weird enough and don't want to hear about how depressed you are about not getting snow (I know mine do).

lol nice sig :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

In general here is a good PA snowfall map for averages. My map is somewhat of a continuation off this but I kind of give an explination why the climate regions I selected. Above I-80 is big during most La Nina years but big differences occur above this general dissection.

I hate that NWS map.....we average 41.9" and it got the 40" line 50 miles north :axe:

However, I do like your map.....btw your "region 11" has about 11 climates in there alone, that shift depending on the event. For example,for this last storm we got 1" to 7" and 0 to .40" of frz depending on where you were.

Archived