• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter 2011-2012 Kickoff Thread | December 2011

earthlight

Why is everyone knocking Atown? I don't get it at all . He is not in denial . He has called for a storm around this time for a while and he is sticking to his guns. In the past, his storm calls have verified. Like I said before, we can get snow in this pattern. Mt Holly also agrees with that.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sun angle is absolutely meaningless at this latitude in December....

I said frozen, because the low temperatures at night can be close to freezing at the surface so there could be freezing rain or sleet. The NWS came out with their own statement a little after my post..

NOAA just issued a HWO for a period of snow/sleet for C NJ, N NJ and E PA. Interesting...

NJZ008>010-015-PAZ067>069-052045-

MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MERCER-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-

341 PM EST SUN DEC 4 2011

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NEW JERSEY...NORTHERN

NEW JERSEY...NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY.

A PERIOD OF SNOW AND SLEET IS POSSIBLE LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND

EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.

I think his analysis has been very good. Very in-depth. Anything is possible. It is clearly a terrible pattern and it would take a miracle to get a snowstorm out of this for us, but it is not impossible.

Why is everyone knocking Atown? I don't get it at all . He is not in denial . He has called for a storm around this time for a while and he is sticking to his guns. In the past, his storm calls have verified. Like I said before, we can get snow in this pattern. Mt Holly also agrees with that.

Just saw the GFS ensemble mean. There must be a bunch of runs well NW of the operational as the precipitation shield goes all the way back to Lakes Erie and Ontario. It is still pretty cold though with 850's below 0. Definitely a big shift West from the previous run and a red flag that the operational may be too far SE

The ensembles have just about any possible solution on the table. It all depends upon how much interaction there is with the northern stream. Some go well northwest and look like the NAM and some go southeast and out to sea and the rest are somewhere in between the two. That is how the operational ended up the way it did I guess.

Reading all opinions, and there is something to be said about his style of forecasting. His track record is good enough to respect.

Some interesting developments on the models to keep an eye on in the medium range regarding that siberian blocking feature. This feature has been forecasted well in advance and is helping at least assure that the coldest air is on our side of the pole. Despite the raging +AO of late, notice on the 12z runs how it is creeping into the north pole regions or even northern Greenland on the op euro/gfs..

post-402-0-33409300-1323132707.gif

post-402-0-06215700-1323132843.gif

i cant believe it, still no sign of blocking on the 00z gfs thru 384hrs.. cmon

at this point im hoping there is a train of lakes cutters, perhaps a biblical one, so that we can setup some blocking for xmas and into january

The stratosphere needs to warm over the Arctic, so that we can get a shot at blocking up there. Right now it's very cold and we won't likely have a meaningful -NAO episode until that changes. Until then, expect the train of too warm/inland storms to continue unfortunately. We even saw last winter how fast everything went to crap after the 2/1 storm and the blocking regime ended permanently for the winter. That's when our winter ended too. Moderate or stronger Ninas are just not favorable for us without major intervention and help from the Arctic.

Archived