wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NYC Banter and BS Thread Part IV

TheTrials

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got a funny feeling about this 500mb cutoff projected to cross the country. Any kind of phase with a northern stream system could really create some crazy solutions.

Dec 92 was a cut off 500mb low stuck under neath a block in canada. Not calling for anything like that, just something to kepe in the back of the mind as we wait out this terrible stretch of boring weather.

Had a nice miserable drive home to monmouth from Villanova today. Pouring rain, the worst traffic I've ever seen, a 2 hour 30 min drive that's usually 1 hour 30 min. Sure as heck living up to its reputation as the biggest travel week. Who do these people think they are, driving on my roads. I thought the last two winters would at least make some people move outta here.

Lol it was a joke, playing on the fact that people may expect last winter again.

My call a few weeks back was for Dec 15 to be the date when things start to flip.

If the pattern isn't better after dec 15th you do realize we can never show our faces on this board, or country for that matter, again. I will give up forecasting and move to Canada where I'll expect snow on the gorund by November 1st every year.

My station is running about 3 degrees above normal this month based on my 35 years of record. With the generally mild pattern for the rest of the month this will probobly wind up as one of the warmest novembers on record for me.

It's been so warm that the bugs are still out in droves. Killed three flies tonight and it's going to be December in a week. We haven't had a freeze in weeks.

00z gfs trying to bring a strong vort down the back side of the closed off/cut off 500mb low next week. Nice ridge out west. Worth watching.

It doesn't have any snowstorm for us, but a coastal low does form near Maine. Much nicer run FWIW, at least it keeps the strong cold air in place for more than 2 days without a strong SE ridge pushing in behind it. It's not the perfect pattern, but definitely an improvement over what we have now.

Wow. Gorgeous PNA in the long range..Its something to watch atleast

that ridge axis could not be more perfect

f276.gif

I agree, while we get no help from the atlantic, it's great to see the pacific fix itself on tonights GFS. It may be transient though, because it you look at the 300 plus hour panels, the AK vortex looks to strengthen and beat the PNA ridge down. That's in fantasy land, but this is a step in the right direction......

I agree, while we get no help from the atlantic, it's great to see the pacific fix itself on tonights GFS. It may be transient though, because it you look at the 300 plus hour panels, the AK vortex looks to strengthen and beat the PNA ridge down. That's in fantasy land, but this is a step in the right direction......

To be honest, the Atlantic is more important for us, see examples of January 1996, January 2005, December 2009, February 2010, December 2010.

To be honest, the Atlantic is more important for us, see examples of January 1996, January 2005, December 2009, February 2010, December 2010.

I've always said I rather have an ok pacific and an awesome atlantic, than an awesome pacific and atrocious atlantic. Getting the AK vortex to weaken and pump a PNA ridge is still a step in the right direction.

That PNA ridge is definitely going to bring the cold air in, but could it lead to early December snow? Maybe? There have been many times were the PNA was solely responsible for giving us a good storm. A nice positive PNA has more power than a weakly negative NAO in my opinion. A -PNA with a neutral or weak NAO isn't going to help, sometimes even a moderate -NAO can't overcome a negative PNA so the +PNA is a great step. I'm hoping we do get some high latitude blocking as it would greatly assist with us getting a storm. At least things are finally beginning to change to colder, but before that happens, expect at least another 7-10 days of very mild weather.

Archived