• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The winter of 1931-1932

Hoosier

Was looking through some records and came across this winter. It was Indianapolis' second least snowy winter on record with only 5.9" of snow (0.2" in DJF). I noticed that Chicago had 24.6", well below average but not the disaster that was Indy. How bad was it in other areas?

Was looking through some records and came across this winter. It was Indianapolis' second least snowy winter on record with only 5.9" of snow (0.2" in DJF). I noticed that Chicago had 24.6", well below average but not the disaster that was Indy. How bad was it in other areas?

0.2" for met winter is almost unbelievable. The WL COOP only had 0.5" in DJF. November had 4.0" and March had 8.8"...so all was not lost. :yikes:

Other really crappy 1931-32 season totals...

STL: 0.7" (COU had 10.6")

SGF: 2.8"

SPI: 8.6"

Disaster winter!

In Cleveland, just 21.4" that winter. The DJF total for Cleveland that winter was a mind numbing 3.6 inchesarrowheadsmiley.png

Looking at Detroit, they had 26.2" of snow, in early February their seasonal total was just 2.9" ... but it appeared some late season storms managed to "salvage" a suicide winter in the Lakes.

I could only imagine what this board would be like if we were to have a repeat where most first order stations were under 5" come Februarylmaosmiley.gif

January 1932 was the 3rd warmest since 1878 in Columbus. DJF months all averaged more than 9 degrees above normal and the winter mean was 40.3. This was the warmest winter ever, with 1879-80 coming in slightly cooler. Only 4.6" of snow fell, more than half of that in March. DJF recorded just 0.9" with January having just a trace.

Thanks for the input.

0.2" for met winter is almost unbelievable. The WL COOP only had 0.5" in DJF. November had 4.0" and March had 8.8"...so all was not lost. :yikes:

Other really crappy 1931-32 season totals...

STL: 0.7" (COU had 10.6")

SGF: 2.8"

SPI: 8.6"

I can't imagine a DJF that bad. I think I'll have to add that to my list of records least likely to be broken in my lifetime.

Disaster winter!

In Cleveland, just 21.4" that winter. The DJF total for Cleveland that winter was a mind numbing 3.6 inchesarrowheadsmiley.png

Looking at Detroit, they had 26.2" of snow, in early February their seasonal total was just 2.9" ... but it appeared some late season storms managed to "salvage" a suicide winter in the Lakes.

I could only imagine what this board would be like if we were to have a repeat where most first order stations were under 5" come Februarylmaosmiley.gif

1997/98 Winter from what I recall was pretty bad. So I have an idea

I can't imagine a DJF that bad. I think I'll have to add that to my list of records least likely to be broken in my lifetime.

Well anything's possible. But I guess completely snowless, I mean no flakes at all, would the only option to overtake that record. Could you imagine? :arrowhead:

Disaster winter!

Well we could overplow the Plains again and get that. In all honesty I think this board we be going crazy with "November 23 Dust Storm" like threads. It'd definitely be very different

:facepalm:

You need to relax a little man. Could this winter be warm and less snowy than the previous four or so? Sure, definitely possible. But let's not go off the deep end calling for a 1931-32 repeat. Let alone with that link as evidence...

The winter of 1931-32 is the 2nd warmest winter on record in Detroit, behind only 1881-82. It was reported that dandelions were in bloom throughout Michigan in January. January 1932 to this day stands as the warmest Jan on record (36.7F), wettest Jan on record (5.02"), and 2nd least snowy Jan on record (0.9"). It was actually an unprecedented start to winter. A few dustings of snow (usually wet dustings at that) fell throughout Nov-Jan (Nov 0.7", Dec 1.3", Jan 0.9"), but there was never more than a trace of snow on the ground until Feb 1st when a snow depth of 1" was observed! Winter finally came for a visit with a 2" snow on Feb 2nd which quickly melted ahead of a 6.5" snowfall on Feb 4th which ended up lasting on the ground 6 days. The ground was once again bare by Feb 10th, and from here through March 18th, just the occasional dusting of a few tenths of snow occurred. Then winter made one last gasp with a 2.3" snowfall on March 19th followed by a snow and sleet storm that dropped 7.5" on Mar 21/22nd. This lasted on the ground 4 days. A few inches of snow fell in April but melted almost immediately. That was the winter of 1931-32.

So while the total snowfall of 26.9" doesnt make Detroits top 20 snowless list, two snowstorms (6.5" and 7.5") have a lot to say about this. Many of Detroits top 20 least snowy winters were much "wintrier" than 1931-32 was. And Im not just talking the unfathomed warmth. With only 11 days having 1"+ snow on the ground, it makes it the 2nd barest winter on record for Detroit, behind just 1936-37 when only 10 days had 1"+ snowcover. (1936-37 was also Detroits least snowy winter on record with 12.9").

Archived