• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Now THESE are some Obs - from MN

Guest someguy

I actually had a big feeling this would be a huge winter for MSP. Much of the time in recent winters they have been stuck in cold and dry while the rest of the midwest has been in a snowblitz. I did a calculation a while back and in the 8 winters from 2002-03 thru 2009-10, Detroit, MI officially received a cumulative total of 66 inches MORE snow than Minneapolis, MN. I suspect the comparison of Milwaukee, WI and Minneapolis may even be greater. So to say they were overdue is an understatement. Now, all that said..I did not see a winter like this one is shaping up to be for them. I dont know if anyone did. The area will have up to 2 feet of powder on the ground with 50 mph winds and below zero temps on tap.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually had a big feeling this would be a huge winter for MSP. Much of the time in recent winters they have been stuck in cold and dry while the rest of the midwest has been in a snowblitz. I did a calculation a while back and in the 8 winters from 2002-03 thru 2009-10, Detroit, MI officially received a cumulative total of 66 inches MORE snow than Minneapolis, MN. I suspect the comparison of Milwaukee, WI and Minneapolis may even be greater. So to say they were overdue is an understatement. Now, all that said..I did not see a winter like this one is shaping up to be for them. I dont know if anyone did. The area will have up to 2 feet of powder on the ground with 50 mph winds and below zero temps on tap.

\

Now you jinxed it. Last Nina, 07-08 started great then torch in early January then no snow until March. It would be a bummer to lose a bunch of this snow pack in January.

Minnesota has had the most ridiculous weather in the country this year. Blowtorch summer with 104 tornadoes, 4 EF4s, 3 of them in one day, ridiculous fall with the PAC wave train over us all September long dumping unbelievable rain, rivers running ridiculously high. Absolute blowtorch October and early November. 3 days after MPX set a record early November high of 68 we get 10" of thundersnow, now if we do indeed get an epic winter the spring flooding will make national headlines.

What's next?:unsure:

EDIT: oh, never mind that little storm we called the Octobomb... how could I have forgotten about that...

\

Now you jinxed it. Last Nina, 07-08 started great then torch in early January then no snow until March. It would be a bummer to lose a bunch of this snow pack in January.

Minnesota has had the most ridiculous weather in the country this year. Blowtorch summer with 104 tornadoes, 4 EF4s, 3 of them in one day, ridiculous fall with the PAC wave train over us all September long dumping unbelievable rain, rivers running ridiculously high. Absolute blowtorch October and early November. 3 days after MPX set a record early November high of 68 we get 10" of thundersnow, now if we do indeed get an epic winter the spring flooding will make national headlines.

What's next?:unsure:

Favre plays now that he gets an extra day of rest

It is certainly brutal here. Stopped snowing but it doesn't matter much. Ground blizzard now. I have drifts close to 6 feet around the house. Snow piled halfway up the front door when last opened it. The Halloween blizzard was a lot of snow but not a heck of a lot of blowing like this. What is amazing is this is powder, and we still have ridiculous accumulations.

Really can't remember one like this. For reference, the roof of the hot house by the kids there is 6 feet high.

HOLY.....Snowman.gif

If you go to wunderground there are some great pics from MN. I like this one from Minneapolis, its one of the more simple ones, but it shows the visibility in a true blizzard. Runners up to MN, should be some good pics from WI, MI, OH when its all said and done :)

53-800.jpg

Nice shot. Looks like one of the lakes in MPLS.

Minnesota is making up for what has honestly been an atrocious decade of bad winters. MN relies on a solid winter economy more than other regions and a lot of businesses reliant on cold and snowy winters had been really struggling. Good to see a good winter for once.

I posted earlier, the last 8 winters (before '10-11) Detroit, MI outsnowed Minneapolis by 66 inches. From a shear climo perspective that is amazing. However, the cold weather does keep the snowpack in MN, even in a bad winter. Michigan, like Minnesota, relies on winter for the economy, and last winter was a horrible snow year in northern MI, but I read that despite this it wasnt disaster to tourism as snowpack, of course, was present. I wonder if the same is true in MN? This of course is for the "general" winter tourist. The hardcore snowmobilers/tourists dont plan their trips on any particular region, they plan it where the deepest snow is. So for that group, I can see MN tourism suffering the past decade.

A couple "morning after" pics to follow. Impossible to say what our total here was, there's no level snowpack anywhere, it's all drifted. Going to try to get out this afternoon and take some pics around the neighborhood. If the car will start...:arrowhead:

This is a 5 foot drift right out the back patio door... and yes, when my girls get bored they write on our windows...:rolleyes:

post-1834-0-61333600-1292179135.jpg

Archived