joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2011 Obs/Forecasting Discussion

WxUSAF

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monthly climo numbers through yesterday. They should be pretty close to the final since we don't expect any precip today and temps will probably end up near climo.

DCA: +2.9F, -1.12"

BWI:+4.2F, -0.73"

IAD: +2.7F, -1.11"

RIC: +3.1F, +1.05"

So much for my idea of ending up within 1F of normal by month's end :arrowhead: . The last 10 days just torched with double digit positive anomalies and consistently overperformed the models by a few degrees.

Have we set a record yet for the number of times Ji has cancelled winter...before it's even begun???:whistle:

Seriously though...the temperature departures aren't that surprising. But I never realized the DC area was that dry in terms of precipitation. I guess after all the rain through much of the fall, that got kind of lost in the shuffle.

November monthlies IMBY:

Highs / departure: 58.3 / +3.3

Lows / departure: 36.9 / +1.1

Precip / departure: 5.48 / +2.53

Summary: warm & wet. This is the 3rd consecutive month with significant positive precip departures (+6.61" during this 3-month period). Interestingly, all but .01" of rain fell from the 15th to the end of the month. Amusingly, we were talking of a record dry November in the early/mid part of the month. Boy, did that turn out to be wrong. Hopefully, likewise, all this talk of a mild winter we are hearing now will turn out wrong also. Saw two rounds of snow-showers: the morning of the 11th and the evening of the 17th. Max high of 68F on Nov. 8th and Nov. 27th. Minimum temp of 22F on Nov. 6th.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived