• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
potential for a few mangled flakes part 3

earthlight

I also compared this storm to the 2002 because not alot of people thought that the area was going to see a lot of snow. That storm was driven on dynamics.

2/5/01 was even more dynamic driven, in that the only reason it changed over to snow was dynamics. There was no cold air.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

srefs are warm until hour 36 for NYC and eastern NJ.

After this, we would see some snow. But it looks like only .25"-.50" are left.

Only thing is that 15z srefs, use 12z data, I believe, so I think we need to wait until 21z srefs and even 3z srefs to get a good idea.

The 12/25/02 storm - while structurally different than this storm, as I originally said yesterday appears to be a close analog to this one.. However, we must wait until the storm evolves tomorrow afternoon.. We all must remember that on Christmas 2002 - we all (NYC area and LI) witnessed rain for countless hours- gusty winds and temps near 50 on Long Island.. There was talk of it turning over to snow, but there was NO indication that we were going to get what we eventually got until it basically happened.. That was a now-forecast if there ever was one....

So while there are several analogs - i think i mentioned 2/28/10 (maybe a day or two off) and someone mentioned i think 2/5/01 as another good analog- the one interesting thing about the FORECAST, in this situation is that the deform band and dynamics are screaming 12/25/02...

We'll see what happens.. At this juncture to predict anything more than 1-3"+ for NYC and points east would be very ill conceived.. We all must remember that anything above .8" of snow, this storm will be deemed historic.. As someone said earlier, at this juncture it's basically a question of whether or not this will be a historic event or a once in 200-500+ event (FOR NYC general area)..

I have to question if you even have much memory of 2/5/01. Its much better, really.

Only thing is that 15z srefs, use 12z data, I believe, so I think we need to wait until 21z srefs and even 3z srefs to get a good idea.

You are correct.

Given the east tick on the GFS, Euro, and all other data, I would almost toss them. Something in there, maybe the RSM, whatever, is screwing the mean.

No No- i agree w/ you.. I have no memory of that storm.- b/c i wasn't in the NYC area.. Thus i'm only relying on my memory of 12/25/02... I have NO doubt that you are completely correct..

Ah. OK, well if 12/25/02 is the best you have to go off of, then yeah, that's probably the best for you memory wise.

But really, check out the maps, obs, etc... the similarity is pretty strong:

http://www.njfreeways.com/weather/2001/05-Feb-01.html

Yeah that was a great storm, especially north and west. The temps stayed near freezing the whole time as went back and forth from rain to wet snow before turning to all snow and getting heavy in the late afternoon. Some places got 10-15" in NW/Western NJ and even EWR got close to 6". Took me 5 hours to 'drive' from Parsippany to Montclair, which is all of 15 miles at the most.

I have to question if you even have much memory of 2/5/01. Its much better, really.

Given the east tick on the GFS, Euro, and all other data, I would almost toss them. Something in there, maybe the RSM, whatever, is screwing the mean.

ALL of the RSM and ARW members are very warm and amped up, close to coast.

All the ETA members are east enough and very nice.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

352 PM EDT FRI OCT 28 2011

...AN EARLY SEASON WINTER STORM WILL SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT THE

REGION...

.AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING NEAR THE SOUTHEAST UNITED

STATES COAST TONIGHT WILL INTENSIFY AND TRACK UP THE EAST COAST

SATURDAY. THIS WILL BRING A SWATCH OF HEAVY WET, AND POTENTIALLY

DAMAGING, SNOW TO A DECENT PORTION OF THE REGION ON SATURDAY.

THE STORM IS EXPECTED TO END AND MOVE AWAY FROM OUR AREA SATURDAY

NIGHT.

THE HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS OF HEAVY WET SNOW SHOULD BE ACROSS THE

HIGHER ELEVATIONS AND ON NON-PAVED SURFACES. IF THE SNOW FALLS

AT A HEAVY RATE, THIS WILL TEND TO INCREASE THE EFFICIENCY OF IT

STICKING TO ALL SURFACES.

NJZ009-010-PAZ067>069-291000-

/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.W.0010.111029T1200Z-111030T0600Z/

HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...

WEST CHESTER...NORRISTOWN...DOYLESTOWN

352 PM EDT FRI OCT 28 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM SATURDAY TO 2 AM EDT

SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY WET SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM

SATURDAY TO 2 AM EDT SUNDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 6 INCHES. THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS MAINLY ACROSS

THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS AND ON NON-PAVED SURFACES.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, THEN MIX WITH

AND CHANGE TO WET SNOW DURING SATURDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DEVELOPING, AND THE HEAVY WET SNOW

WILL LIKELY WEIGH DOWN TREES WHICH STILL HAVE LEAVES ON THEM.

THIS WILL LEAD TO SOME DOWNED TREES AND POWER OUTAGES. THE WET

SNOW MAY FALL HEAVY AT TIMES DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM,

LOCALLY INCREASING THE ACCUMULATION RATE.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S, BUT THEN DROPPING

TO NEAR FREEZING SATURDAY NIGHT.

* VISIBILITIES...REDUCED TO WELL UNDER A MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE

EXPECTED. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL

VERY HAZARDOUS.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ352 PM EDT FRI OCT 28 2011...AN EARLY SEASON WINTER STORM WILL SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT THEREGION....AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING NEAR THE SOUTHEAST UNITEDSTATES COAST TONIGHT WILL INTENSIFY AND TRACK UP THE EAST COASTSATURDAY. THIS WILL BRING A SWATCH OF HEAVY WET, AND POTENTIALLYDAMAGING, SNOW TO A DECENT PORTION OF THE REGION ON SATURDAY.THE STORM IS EXPECTED TO END AND MOVE AWAY FROM OUR AREA SATURDAYNIGHT.THE HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS OF HEAVY WET SNOW SHOULD BE ACROSS THEHIGHER ELEVATIONS AND ON NON-PAVED SURFACES. IF THE SNOW FALLSAT A HEAVY RATE, THIS WILL TEND TO INCREASE THE EFFICIENCY OF ITSTICKING TO ALL SURFACES.DEZ001-MDZ008-NJZ012-013-015>019-PAZ070-071-291000-/O.NEW.KPHI.WW.Y.0022.111029T1600Z-111030T0600Z/NEW CASTLE-CECIL-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...ELKTON...NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...TRENTON...PENNSVILLE...GLASSBORO...CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...MOUNT HOLLY...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA352 PM EDT FRI OCT 28 2011...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON SATURDAY TO 2 AMEDT SUNDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR RAIN CHANGING TO HEAVY WET SNOW...WHICH ISIN EFFECT FROM NOON SATURDAY TO 2 AM EDT SUNDAY.* ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 2 INCHES. THE GREATEST ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD BE ON NON-PAVED SURFACES.* TIMING...RAIN WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, THEN MIX WITH WET SNOW AROUND MIDDAY BEFORE CHANGING TO WET SNOW DURING THE AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...AREAS OF SLIPPERY TRAVEL DEVELOPING, AND THE HEAVY WET SNOW WILL WEIGH DOWN TREE LIMBS WHICH STILL HAVE LEAVES ON THEM. THIS WILL POTENTIALLY LEAD TO SOME DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POWER OUTAGES. THERE COULD BE A BURST OF HEAVY WET SNOW DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM, LOCALLY INCREASING THE ACCUMULATION RATE FOR A TIME SATURDAY EVENING.* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 40, BUT THEN FALLING INTO THE LOWER 30S SATURDAY NIGHT.* VISIBILITIES...REDUCED TO WELL UNDER A MILE AT TIMES.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSETRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITEDVISIBILITIES, AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.&&$$GORSE

Archived