joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 29 Banter Thread

am19psu

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the jackpot 24 hours out. I already love this storm. Is this really October or did we fast-forward to December without anybody telling me?

zippin round north jersey making pick ups for work...went up to near riverdale, imagining what its going to look like up there in about 40 hours...all those leaves still on the trees even up there. Sittin down now to a lunch of crabcakes and checking out the 12z stuff...local radio starting to ramp up coverage of the power outtage potential etc.

Rob is honking about thunder snow, and so is Henry Margusity. Whats ironic is that nobody is commenting about the sleet for this storm which IMHO will be significant for someone in our region. With convective banding, usually comes sleet. When the radar lights up tomorrow afternoon, the intensity of the sleet will be widely discussed in the postings with thunder-snow accompany the sleet too. Lets discuss thanks

Rob is honking about thunder snow, and so is Henry Margusity. Whats ironic is that nobody is commenting about the sleet for this storm which IMHO will be significant for someone in our region. With convective banding, usually comes sleet. When the radar lights up tomorrow afternoon, the intensity of the sleet will be widely discussed in the postings with thunder-snow accompany the sleet too. Lets discuss thanks

You get sleet when you have precip falling through a thin layer of warmer than 0C temps at say 650-700mb. Those raindrops then fall through a deep layer of colder than 0C temps. Viola, you get sleet. This situation is completely different. Here you have it colder than 0C all the way through the column except for maybe the last 50-75mb near the surface. In this situation, you'll get either rain or a wet snow. I've yet to see a skew-T where it is warmer at 650-750mb than at the surface.

Skies are now overcast.

Smells like its going to snow. :snowman:

:lol:

Actually its smells like freshly cut wet grass and leaves.

I just hired my grass cutter to plow tomorrow night if we get 4" or more in western Lehigh. Seems like a good bet. He was cutting grass when I called, and when he gets home tonight, he has to convert all three of his trucks to plows for tomorrow. Then on Monday, he's back to cutting grass again. He's happy with the double dip though.

He didn't actually believe what he's been hearing about 6-10", but I told him it was likely true, but mainly on grassy surfaces. Roads won't freeze over until dark.

I'm ready for the shaft from one of two factors:

1)Storm goes too far SE

2)Being stuck in a valley/possible rain (NWS forecast has this)

I am not really concerned about a shaft. If I get anything more than an inch, I will be impressed.

I would put this as bonus snow, sorta of like cathing a peek of some boobs when you were not expecting it.

Rare is the word. I am hopeful that PHL, Wilmington, Newark and NTC get atleast an inch to add to the record books.

I think you guys will be fine up there. :) your right around the sweet spot for this thing if all holds true.

I would be shocked. We are to far east and at a low elevation in Edison. The Ocean/Bay is a crows fly east of us. Anywhere near the GS parkway or NJ TPK will get a few slushy inches at best, wheich is shocking. You need to be out west around rt 206 in central NJ up through the Morristown 287 corridor to the NY line for the good heavy wet snow.

We will need great dynamics or a miracle to get more than 3 or 4 inches imop.

Archived