Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Oct Banter/Obs IV...........

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol that pic is hilarious.

That 12z OKX sounding you posted earlier shows the potential with a stronger inversion near the surface and the unstable layer above it. Ducting layer in the stable near surface air while it's unstable above the inversion to prevent the wave from dispersing.

Seeing the echoes on radar on the lowest tilt tells you that the GWs are occurring within 1 or 2kft of the ground.

Interesting observations. That happens many times as well in these types of situations. I'm not at work, but that inversion...or warm layer aloft near 10,000ft on the OKX 12Z sounding is knocking planes around from what I can tell.

Interesting observations. That happens many times as well in these types of situations. I'm not at work, but that inversion...or warm layer aloft near 10,000ft on the OKX 12Z sounding is knocking planes around from what I can tell.

Yeah these are occurring right next to the ground... have to imagine a rough landing. Also a rough flight with as you mentioned that second and stronger mid level inversion around 10kft.

It's funny looking at the model soundings you don't see much of an inversion near the surface but there must be just enough to get the gravity waves over LI. The radar shows them between about 300ft and 2.5kft AGL

Yeah these are occurring right next to the ground... have to imagine a rough landing. Also a rough flight with as you mentioned that second and stronger mid level inversion around 10kft.

It's funny looking at the model soundings you don't see much of an inversion near the surface but there must be just enough to get the gravity waves over LI. The radar shows them between about 300ft and 2.5kft AGL

It seems like it's just below the mid level warm front. I noticed the winds screaming in from the east at 50kts on KOKX VAD profile. Above that, winds turn south.

Archived