joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tri State Winter Storms Reminiscence Thread

Sundog

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no one has mentioned this yet, but you gotta like December 25 2002 with the surprise snowfall rates after the rain

here is a radar shot when things started to go crazy, I remember that as I was stuck on 287 in Yonkers and man, that wasn't good for anyone!!!

352rgqq.gif

I remember opening Christmas presents with the family at my home in Philly. Suddenly looking out the window and seeing snow mixing in was just amazing! :snowing:

I have kind of a twisted memory of the 2/25-26 storm. When I think about it, I mostly think of all the rain on the 25th and watching the old snowpack shrink while it was snowing hard in NYC. Then I remember that we got a foot of new snow on the 26th.

We had 15" in the 2/10 storm. 12/19/09 was the big storm of the winter around these parts.

I remember a storm on March 14th 1975 that Bob Haris predicted weeks a head of time...He said beware the Ides of March...It wasn't a big storm but when it started a heavy snow warning was issued...But the snow quickly mixed with rain in the city and sleet where I was in the Poconos...Up there 2" accumulated while NYC had mostly rain...An old photo from the morning of March 15th 1975 in Wild Acres Pa...

I remember a storm on March 14th 1975 that Bob Haris predicted weeks a head of time...He said beware the Ides of March...It wasn't a big storm but when it started a heavy snow warning was issued...But the snow quickly mixed with rain in the city and sleet where I was in the Poconos...Up there 2" accumulated while NYC had mostly rain...An old photo from the morning of March 15th 1975 in Wild Acres Pa...

I remember that. From old notes it was a short lived warning. The heavy snow warning was issued at 11AM with a general forecast of 6 - 10 inches thorughout the area and then cancelled at 2PM. In northeast Nassau County we had 1.5" of snow and sleet, but I don't recall any freezing rain. NYC had all three. Handwritten Central Park obs:

post-290-0-18889500-1290522659.jpg

<br />Didn't blizzard of '96 have 3 straight days of at least 5"?. I think it started Sunday morning and we received 15-20" that day. Then After midnight into Monday the rest, 5"-10". Then the ULL came thru on Tuesday and dropped 3"-6".<br />I'm going off memory. Thanks for the info in advance.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

All of our snow came from Snday Morning into Monday Late afternoon.The ULL gave SJ/DE/WASHDC accumulating snowfall,but not us.

I remember opening Christmas presents with the family at my home in Philly. Suddenly looking out the window and seeing snow mixing in was just amazing! :snowing:

I was right under that heavy echo on 287. I distincltly remember the 1st flake mixing in and then BAM, all snow, sticking and accumulating in no time, and then BOOOOOM BADA BOOM BADA BOOM huge lightning bolt and thunder.

I was in North Riverdale,The Bronx on Christmas Day 2002 where the rain changed to sleet and snow shortly after noon.THe ground was coated white,but the precip stopped and there was a lull in the precip and the radar did not look good.I was beginning to wonder if the light coating we had was all we were going to get.THankfully beween 4 and 430PM the snow picked up and shortly after 430 a flash of lightning and a gust of wind and a wall of snow for the next several hours along with 50MPH wind gusts.12 inches was the total there.

March 28th 1984...

The no credit storm as I call it.Very intense storm that never gets mentioned when talking about past Northeasters.winds gusted to near hurricane force along coast if i remember correctly,dune road in the hamptons was pretty much destroyed with alot of homes damaged.think the pressure got down to 970mb!!

I have always wonder why this storm never gets any credit for being one of the worst Northeasters to effect the area?????

The no credit storm as I call it.Very intense storm that never gets mentioned when talking about past Northeasters.winds gusted to near hurricane force along coast if i remember correctly,dune road in the hamptons was pretty much destroyed with alot of homes damaged.think the pressure got down to 970mb!!

I have always wonder why this storm never gets any credit for being one of the worst Northeasters to effect the area?????

the Poconos got two feet of snow while I got 3" of slush in Brooklyn...I have some video of the storm stashed away somewhere...

I was in North Riverdale,The Bronx on Christmas Day 2002 where the rain changed to sleet and snow shortly after noon.THe ground was coated white,but the precip stopped and there was a lull in the precip and the radar did not look good.I was beginning to wonder if the light coating we had was all we were going to get.THankfully beween 4 and 430PM the snow picked up and shortly after 430 a flash of lightning and a gust of wind and a wall of snow for the next several hours along with 50MPH wind gusts.12 inches was the total there.

A solid 8 inches here that night. Most places around here were between 6 and 10 inches. I was on the GCP going to my girlfriend's house and I saw the lightning and heard the thunder and knew that was going to be a good night.

Archived