..WINTER STORM WARNING TONIGHT AND SUNDAY FOR NORTHERN

VIRGINIA...CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN MARYLAND INCLUDING THE WASHINGTON METRO

AREA...

..WINTER STORM WATCH FOR TONIGHT AND SUNDAY FOR NORTHERN VIRGINIA

INCLUDING THE BALTIMORE METRO AREA AND THE EASTERN PANHANDLE OF WEST

VIRGINIA...

A MAJOR WINTER STORM IS DEVELOPING NEAR NEW ORLEANS THIS MORNING. THIS

STORM WILL BEGIN TO INTENSIFY LATE TONIGHT AS IT MOVES TO THE CAROLINAS

ON SUNDAY AND CONTINUES A STEADY TRACK TO THE NORTHEAST THROUGH MONDAY.

THIS STORM MAY RIVAL THE STORM OF FEBRUARY 1983. THAT STORM PRODUCED

THE ALL TIME RECORD 24 HOUR SNOWFALL IN BALTIMORE OF AROUND 22 INCHES

AND ALSO PRODUCED MORE THEN 16 INCHES AT WASHINGTON NATIONAL AIRPORT

WITH SEVERAL WESTERN SUBURBS OF WASHINGTON RECEIVING MORE THEN 2 FEET.

LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP ACROSS WESTERN MARYLAND THE EASTERN PANHANDLE

OF WEST VIRGINIA AND WESTERN VIRGINIA DURING THE AFTERNOON WITH

ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES POSSIBLE. THE SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE

ENTIRE AREA TONIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AFTER MIDNIGHT. BY SUNDAY MORNING

MANY AREAS WILL HAVE OVER 4 INCHES OF SNOW ON THE GROUND.

ON SUNDAY AS THE LOW MOVES CLOSER TO THE AREA THE SNOW WILL BE VERY

HEAVY AT TIMES AND WINDS WILL GRADUALLY INCREASE. THE SNOW AND BLOWING

SNOW MAY REDUCE VISIBILITY TO LESS THEN ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

BLIZZARD CONDITIONS MAY OCCUR AT TIMES ON SUNDAY. THE HEAVY SNOW AND

INCREASED BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ON SUNDAY WILL MAKE TRAVEL

EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO IMPOSSIBLE. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE SUNDAY NIGHT

BEFORE FINALLY ENDING ON MONDAY. TOTAL SNOWFALLS COULD EXCEED MORE THEN

A FOOT ACROSS MOST OF THE AREA AND SOME AREAS COULD RECEIVE 15 TO 20

INCHES.

TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN VERY COLD THROUGHOUT THE STORM AND WILL BE

IN THE LOW TO MID 20S. THESE TEMPERATURES COMBINED WITH STRONG WINDS ON

SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT COULD GIVE WIND CHILLS OF 10 TO 20 BELOW ZERO.

STOCK UP ON FOOD TODAY AND COMPLETE ANY TRAVEL THIS AFTERNOON. ON

SUNDAY TRAVEL COULD BE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS TO IMPOSSIBLE AND MAY

CONTINUE THAT WAY UNTIL MONDAY. TAKE NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS TO PREPARE

FOR A MAJOR WINTER STORM.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO AND THE LOCAL NEWS MEDIA FOR FURTHER

UPDATES ON THIS POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS WINTER STORM.

Tell me you know how to get the Upton discussion. I've been wanting to read that for many years.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish this board can experience a Jan. 1996 storm. Temps of 5-15 degrees with heavy snow falling and a widespread 20-35 inches. With 3"-5" more the next day and cold for a week straight after. Sick storm and sick memories. Can remember streets covered with 20"+ all throughout.

I wish this board can experience a Jan. 1996 storm. Temps of 5-15 degrees with heavy snow falling and a widespread 20-35 inches. With 3"-5" more the next day and cold for a week straight after. Sick storm and sick memories. Can remember streets covered with 20"+ all throughout.

Dude do you know what it means to have a 25 inch SNOW DEPTH at LGA after the storm was over? I say someone go back and find a higher number for depth at any of the 3 major stations of NYC. It will be awfully difficult.

Dude do you know what it means to have a 25 inch SNOW DEPTH at LGA after the storm was over? I say someone go back and find a higher number for depth at any of the 3 major stations of NYC. It will be awfully difficult.

I know. People seem to not understand what that means. 25" snow depth AFTER the storm ended is at least 30"-35" with today's measuring methods. Sick.

No storm last year had more then a 10"-12" snow depth and with today's measuring methods, areas still reported 12"-20" with a couple storms. Imagine if 1996 had today's measuring methods and not snow depth?

Guest PDIIREDUX

I know. People seem to not understand what that means. 25" snow depth AFTER the storm ended is at least 30"-35" with today's measuring methods. Sick.

No storm last year had more then a 10"-12" snow depth and with today's measuring methods, areas still reported 12"-20" with a couple storms. Imagine if 1996 had today's measuring methods and not snow depth?

classic over running, then frontogenesis, then deform, the trifecta perfecta.

I don't think it was that cold....but it was definitely in the teens when it started.

The best analogy to the extreme cold you're referring to was the Jan 15, 2004 super clipper that dropped 6-8" across the area in 8-10 degree temps. The snow was pure fluff, almost as fluffy as the lake effect I saw in PA, which combined with the cold was one of the most purely arctic environments NYC has experienced in many years.

The 12/19 storm last year had well over a foot depth here afterwards. My area was on the western edge of the area which really got slammed by the megaband that developed the night of the storm. I still think the reports around my area were a little short given I measured 12" in a relatively wind-free area just after the extremely heavy snow ended, and we had mod-heavy snow for several hours after. The next morning, I measured 14.5" on the ground, which after settling overnight must have meant 16" or so fell. It's the deepest snow I've seen in Long Beach since maybe PD II (I missed 1/22/05 here which was another 16" event in Long Beach).

a few runs before the dec storm

post-211-0-54853800-1289965740.gif

actual storm

post-211-0-99095400-1289965818.gif

I was worried before the heavy banding developed across the area due to the dry air eating up the snow all day, and that it would be a dud. But once it did develop, it went to town in a big way. We went from basically flurries to S+ in less than an hour, around dusk. By 12am we had a foot of snow on the ground and still piling up rapidly.

The best analogy to the extreme cold you're referring to was the Jan 15, 2004 super clipper that dropped 6-8" across the area in 8-10 degree temps. The snow was pure fluff, almost as fluffy as the lake effect I saw in PA, which combined with the cold was one of the most purely arctic environments NYC has experienced in many years.

This.....never have i seen it snow at those temp in this area....and to get that snow from a clipper and fight the dry area was impressive......

Kttn was 9 degrees and snowing for a time

kdyl was 8 degrees and snowing for a time

kewr was 8 degrees and snowing for a time

klga was 9 degrees and snowing for a time

kteb was 7 degrees and snowing for a time

Snow started in LGA with a temp of 14

I don't think it was that cold....but it was definitely in the teens when it started.

lol.....temps where in the middel teens when snow started and got up into the mid 20's for the area airports

For PD2 temps where around the same.....although warm up during the night from monmouth county- south

This.....never have i seen it snow at those temp in this area....and to get that snow from a clipper and fight the dry area was impressive......

That was a ridiculous airmass. That clipper totally whiffed to the south of here and got your area....the high temp that day IIRC was 1F. We had a high of 1F and a low of -12F.

That was a ridiculous airmass. That clipper totally whiffed to the south of here and got your area....the high temp that day IIRC was 1F. We had a high of 1F and a low of -12F.

Wow that's awesome Will. I remember a great clipper during January 2009 at Middlebury; we were getting heavy snow with a temperature of 6F. It was a particularly beautiful sight because the flakes were majestically-formed dendrites piling up so fast. We picked up 6" with almost no liquid equivalent. That was an epic month. I think the coldest day at Middlebury we had a high of 6F and a low of -20F, just bitter weather.

Wow that's awesome Will. I remember a great clipper during January 2009 at Middlebury; we were getting heavy snow with a temperature of 6F. It was a particularly beautiful sight because the flakes were majestically-formed dendrites piling up so fast. We picked up 6" with almost no liquid equivalent. That was an epic month. I think the coldest day at Middlebury we had a high of 6F and a low of -20F, just bitter weather.

Jan 2004 was epic for the cold...but I would have rather been in NYC for that month because they were getting more snow than here. But we had 9 days below 0F that month and the 3 day stretch starting with the clipper system to the south averaged below 0F. I think the 3 days were 1/-12, 2/-12, and 4/-10. Contrast that to last winter when we never got below 0F (I think we hit 0F on the nose one night)

Just ridiculous cold.

Incredible, wish I could remember that but I don't. I wonder if records are kept here for coldest temp with snow falling?

One of the coldest recent snow events that I can remember is the January 15, 2009 clipper. Temps were in the teens. That was some of the fluffiest and lightest snow I've ever seen; it felt like pixie dust. We didn't get a lot of snow (I got 1.5'' IMBY), but it stuck to literally everything, including all of the tree branches, which was absolutely gorgeous.

And of course PDII and the Blizzard of '96 had incredible cold; temps were in the low teens at the beginning and stayed in the teens for a good portion of each storm.

Jan 2004 was epic for the cold...but I would have rather been in NYC for that month because they were getting more snow than here. But we had 9 days below 0F that month and the 3 day stretch starting with the clipper system to the south averaged below 0F. I think the 3 days were 1/-12, 2/-12, and 4/-10. Contrast that to last winter when we never got below 0F (I think we hit 0F on the nose one night)

Just ridiculous cold.

Strong El Niños absolutely suck for arctic cold. It'll be interesting to see if we get any real arctic outbreaks this season; it looks as if the PV is going to be very intense with below average temperatures up north, so there should be a better shot than last season.

January 2004 was an awesome month here. I remember a series of clippers, each of which dropped 2-3" of snow at night. I was always hoping for a school delay or closing when I went to bed and saw the puffy snowflakes drifting down in the streetlight, but it never happened since the accumulation was minor, and most of the clean-up had been done by morning. 03-04 was a great winter in my backyard with over 50" of snowfall and tons of bitter cold; it was almost as good as 02-03 but lacked the knockout punch for the East Coast. What a stretch of winters we got into when I was in HS, between 2002-06...truly a great time to be alive as a snow lover and resident of the NYC suburbs.

It was BELOW zero in parts of the Hudson valley when it started to snow as lows that morning averaged -5 to 5 above. Obviously they warmed through the day but it was that cold.

Yeah i was no into weather forums at the time, but i do remeber how cold you guys where up there. I think that was the winter those fire fighters got trap in the bridgeport house during a fire......The picture from that fire where amazing.

Incredible, wish I could remember that but I don't. I wonder if records are kept here for coldest temp with snow falling?

One of the coldest recent snow events that I can remember is the January 15, 2009 clipper. Temps were in the teens. That was some of the fluffiest and lightest snow I've ever seen; it felt like pixie dust. We didn't get a lot of snow (I got 1.5'' IMBY), but it stuck to literally everything, including all of the tree branches, which was absolutely gorgeous.

And of course PDII and the Blizzard of '96 had incredible cold; temps were in the low teens at the beginning and stayed in the teens for a good portion of each storm.

Yeah it was a very cool event to watch, i was very lucky to have great winters while i was in high school. Alot of snow days from 2000-2004.

Archived