Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tri State Winter Storms Reminiscence Thread

Sundog

yea it wasnt that good closer to the coast about 12 inches

I had 12 inches depth from the 25th-26th storm which means the total was obviously higher (although I hate going by those numbers and like to use depth for most storms.) The overnight bands were sick.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at work that Thursday night trying everything in my power to change my trip home to the next morning instead of Saturday since I knew everything would be canceled and at 10pm finally got something into LGA....I believe of the 00Z Friday models (Thursday night) the GFS and NAM had the storm but the Euro lost it after it had finally gotten it earlier that day on the 12Z run....the 06Z NAM then proceeded to lose the storm as well, and by a tremendous margin...this just an hour before Upton went to a blizzard watch...the 06Z GFS though had the biggest hit yet...12Z Friday morning both the GFS/NAM finally agreed on a hit and at that point only 36 hours out I didn't care about the Euro anymore...as a matter of fact I have no clue what its Friday run even showed.

All the weenies panicked because the 0z Euro lost the storm lol. The 12z Euro showed a good hit for the region.

I had 12 inches depth from the 25th-26th storm which means the total was obviously higher (although I hate going by those numbers and like to use depth for most storms.) The overnight bands were sick.

When I get home I will put those bands up in the thread. It is a closer view of our area than the larger one you put up :arrowhead:

If there was more cold air for all the storms, we could of had over 20 inches of snow with each storm.

Dude if Feb 25th-26th was a cold storm we would have had 3 feet of snow. We had over 3 inches of precipitation. Although then you wonder would it have been as juicy if it was indeed colder from the start.

Got 5 inches in a separate Feb storm and even 1.5 inches from the Feb 6 storm that missed us just to the south.

Got close to 2 inches from that Feb 5 storm. The cutoff was amazing. My cousin in Staten Island got over 7 inches.:thumbsdown:

Dude if Feb 25th-26th was a cold storm we would have had 3 feet of snow. We had over 3 inches of precipitation. Although then you wonder would it have been as juicy if it was indeed colder from the start.

I still can't believe that I saw 2 MECS and 1 Hecs last winter. Best winter in a while.

Would have been a March 1888 redux, which we all know was underestimated lol.  Or a Dec 1992 with more cold air.  Hell, Im happy we got what we got-- because it turned out to be the last snow of the season.

Is that the only time since March 1888 since the last snowfall of a season has been a 20 inch snowstorm at NYC?

Would have been a March 1888 redux, which we all know was underestimated lol. Or a Dec 1992 with more cold air. Hell, Im happy we got what we got-- because it turned out to be the last snow of the season.

Is that the only time since March 1888 since the last snowfall of a season has been a 20 inch snowstorm at NYC?

Judging by the lack of 20 inchers throughout the record it probably was. I'm actually trying to find the 96 disco online right now lol but with no luck.

no one has mentioned this yet, but you gotta like December 25 2002 with the surprise snowfall rates after the rain

here is a radar shot when things started to go crazy, I remember that as I was stuck on 287 in Yonkers and man, that wasn't good for anyone!!!

352rgqq.gif

no one has mentioned this yet, but you gotta like December 25 2002 with the surprise snowfall rates after the rain

here is a radar shot when things started to go crazy, I remember that as I was stuck on 287 in Yonkers and man, that wasn't good for anyone!!!

352rgqq.gif

I remember watching Paul Kocin on TWC that night. He was amazed that this storm bombed out further than anticipated. My area was only supposed to get 0.5 inches of snow after the rain. I ended up with 5 inches of snow.

352rgqq.gif

The NYC NWS initially had that event pegged on the 4am issuance on Christmas morning if I recall correctly and did put out a WSW for NYC/LI for possible snow in the aftn and eve but the morning shift removed it almost immediately upon coming in, I believe by 930am it was canceled....the reason being there was serious ETA favoring leading up to that storm by almost all the NWS offices, HPC. NCEP and so on...and the ETA was not forecasting the wraparound snows like most other models were though it DID nail the surface low track if I remember correctly..the NOGAPS and GFS were insisting on it for days with the GFS showing 6 inches + for central-eastern LI on every run (of course its positioning wound up a good 50-100 miles too far east with it because the GFS was too far east with the surface low)....the bottom line is vertically or near vertically stacked lows within 50-100 miles of the coast from NYC-ACY are dangerous in those borderline situations where models do not indicate it being quite cold enough for snow or where its initially too warm for snow because a system like that can "manufacture" its own cold air...see 4/6/82 and 3/15/99 as other examples....I have to admit it did not look good for NYC/LI up until after 2pm or so, but I remember Paul Kocin was the first one to start seeing trouble brewing early on in the afternoon for NYC and mentioned even before that wraparound band started forming clearly around 3pm-4pm that there could be issues during the evening. The thunder and lightning that evening in Queens was impressive along with 1-2 inch per hour rates for a period of time.

The NYC NWS initially had that event pegged on the 4am issuance on Christmas morning if I recall correctly and did put out a WSW for NYC/LI for possible snow in the aftn and eve but the morning shift removed it almost immediately upon coming in, I believe by 930am it was canceled....the reason being there was serious ETA favoring leading up to that storm by almost all the NWS offices, HPC. NCEP and so on...and the ETA was not forecasting the wraparound snows like most other models were though it DID nail the surface low track if I remember correctly..the NOGAPS and GFS were insisting on it for days with the GFS showing 6 inches + for central-eastern LI on every run (of course its positioning wound up a good 50-100 miles too far east with it because the GFS was too far east with the surface low)....the bottom line is vertically or near vertically stacked lows within 50-100 miles of the coast from NYC-ACY are dangerous in those borderline situations where models do not indicate it being quite cold enough for snow or where its initially too warm for snow because a system like that can "manufacture" its own cold air...see 4/6/82 and 3/15/99 as other examples....I have to admit it did not look good for NYC/LI up until after 2pm or so, but I remember Paul Kocin was the first one to start seeing trouble brewing early on in the afternoon for NYC and mentioned even before that wraparound band started forming clearly around 3pm-4pm that there could be issues during the evening. The thunder and lightning that evening in Queens was impressive along with 1-2 inch per hour rates for a period of time.

Yes, vividly remember the lightning and thunder and flakes the size of Donuts. It went from rain to frozen and sticking in minutes. Also, IIRC, that was the fist winter that the GFS was the GFS. They offices were just getting used to the new resolution and schematic changes.

Guest Noreaster

My favorite for sheer intensity was the April 6,1982 blizzard.

It was pretty amazing to get whiteout conditions along

with cloud to ground lightning.

Pretty obvious the one constant in all the lightning situations for the immediate tri-state is the tight 700 and 850 lp. April 82, Feb 83, Jan 96, Dec 02 Feb 06, all had it.

-NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-

NORTHERN NEW LONDON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DANBURY...MERIDEN...WATERBURY...

MIDDLETOWN...NORWICH

300 PM EST SAT JAN 6 1996

All Countys except Litchfield & Hartford

...WINTER STORM WATCH FOR SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO MONDAY...

.TONIGHT...THICKENING CLOUDINESS. LOW 5 BELOW TO 5 ABOVE. NORTHWEST

WIND AROUND 10 MPH BECOMING NORTHEAST.

.SUNDAY...SNOW DEVELOPING BY AFTERNOON. WIND NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH

INCREASING TO AROUND 20 MPH AND GUSTY BY LATE AFTERNOON. HIGH IN THE

MID TEENS. CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. LOW AROUND 10. CHANCE OF

SNOW NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.MONDAY...NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS DURING THE MORNING TAPERING OFF TO

SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS DURING THE AFTERNOON. REMAIN MOSTLY CLOUDY AND

WINDY. HIGH IN THE LOWER 20S. CHANCE OF SNOW 80 PERCENT.

.EXTENDED FORECAST... ISSUED 435 AM SAT FRI JAN 6 1996

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

.MONDAY...WINDY WITH SNOW LIKELY CAPE AND ISLANDS IN THE MORNING AND

A CHANCE OF SNOW ELSEWHERE. CLEARING LATER IN THE DAY. LOWS ZERO TO

15 INLAND...15 TO 25 ALONG THE COAST. HIGHS IN THE 20S.

.TUESDAY...A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE TEENS. HIGHS 25 TO

.WEDNESDAY...CLEAR AND COLD. LOWS ZERO TO 15 ABOVE INTERIOR AND 15

TO 25 COAST. HIGHS 25 TO 35.

Some more from the Feb 25th & 26th 2010 storm.

Trying to find a longer loop

The period from around 4-7am on the 26th was just insane around here. It was snowing so hard that it was difficult to see the houses across the street. The winds were a constant 35-40 mph as well. It must have snowed at 2-3"/hour in that timeframe, and everything just became a whiteout. I was pretty worried before then about heavier amounts not verifying, because the snow stayed light and had a hard time sticking due to the fact we had over an inch of rain that morning and afternoon. Comparing the change in scenery between both sides of Queens was amazing too. Nothing but rain until late afternoon around Valley Stream, and at least several inches on the ground with S+ in Manhattan. 22" in Central Park and around a foot at my house. The discrepancy would have been worse had that band between 4-7am fizzled out on the 26th. I can't imagine how much higher accumulations would have been with a few degrees colder air, since there were already 2 foot totals in NE NJ and parts of NYC.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WASHINGTON DC

1130 AM EST SAT JAN 06 1996

..WINTER STORM WARNING TONIGHT AND SUNDAY FOR NORTHERN

VIRGINIA...CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN MARYLAND INCLUDING THE WASHINGTON METRO

AREA...

..WINTER STORM WATCH FOR TONIGHT AND SUNDAY FOR NORTHERN VIRGINIA

INCLUDING THE BALTIMORE METRO AREA AND THE EASTERN PANHANDLE OF WEST

VIRGINIA...

A MAJOR WINTER STORM IS DEVELOPING NEAR NEW ORLEANS THIS MORNING. THIS

STORM WILL BEGIN TO INTENSIFY LATE TONIGHT AS IT MOVES TO THE CAROLINAS

ON SUNDAY AND CONTINUES A STEADY TRACK TO THE NORTHEAST THROUGH MONDAY.

THIS STORM MAY RIVAL THE STORM OF FEBRUARY 1983. THAT STORM PRODUCED

THE ALL TIME RECORD 24 HOUR SNOWFALL IN BALTIMORE OF AROUND 22 INCHES

AND ALSO PRODUCED MORE THEN 16 INCHES AT WASHINGTON NATIONAL AIRPORT

WITH SEVERAL WESTERN SUBURBS OF WASHINGTON RECEIVING MORE THEN 2 FEET.

LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP ACROSS WESTERN MARYLAND THE EASTERN PANHANDLE

OF WEST VIRGINIA AND WESTERN VIRGINIA DURING THE AFTERNOON WITH

ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES POSSIBLE. THE SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE

ENTIRE AREA TONIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AFTER MIDNIGHT. BY SUNDAY MORNING

MANY AREAS WILL HAVE OVER 4 INCHES OF SNOW ON THE GROUND.

ON SUNDAY AS THE LOW MOVES CLOSER TO THE AREA THE SNOW WILL BE VERY

HEAVY AT TIMES AND WINDS WILL GRADUALLY INCREASE. THE SNOW AND BLOWING

SNOW MAY REDUCE VISIBILITY TO LESS THEN ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

BLIZZARD CONDITIONS MAY OCCUR AT TIMES ON SUNDAY. THE HEAVY SNOW AND

INCREASED BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ON SUNDAY WILL MAKE TRAVEL

EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO IMPOSSIBLE. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE SUNDAY NIGHT

BEFORE FINALLY ENDING ON MONDAY. TOTAL SNOWFALLS COULD EXCEED MORE THEN

A FOOT ACROSS MOST OF THE AREA AND SOME AREAS COULD RECEIVE 15 TO 20

INCHES.

TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN VERY COLD THROUGHOUT THE STORM AND WILL BE

IN THE LOW TO MID 20S. THESE TEMPERATURES COMBINED WITH STRONG WINDS ON

SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT COULD GIVE WIND CHILLS OF 10 TO 20 BELOW ZERO.

STOCK UP ON FOOD TODAY AND COMPLETE ANY TRAVEL THIS AFTERNOON. ON

SUNDAY TRAVEL COULD BE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS TO IMPOSSIBLE AND MAY

CONTINUE THAT WAY UNTIL MONDAY. TAKE NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS TO PREPARE

FOR A MAJOR WINTER STORM.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO AND THE LOCAL NEWS MEDIA FOR FURTHER

UPDATES ON THIS POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS WINTER STORM.

Archived