• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
October Obs.

jrips27

Yes. The 12GFS also continues to show a good snap of cold air coming in around the 29th of OCT. Been showing it for a few days now...

:snowman:

Look at this awesome trough in about 10 days... I's way out there but with all the healthy troughs so far this fall it really would fit the current pattern.... flurries in the south and a first good snowfall for the upstate of NY and New England? :snowman:

Great time to update.. Right before winter and all ..... :popcorn:

The NAM could use an update or 2 :lol:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAH afternoon discussion; Short term (last paragraph):

FOR THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT: QUITE BREEZY THURSDAY... BUT

GENERALLY QUIET WEATHER. THE MID LEVEL LOW TRACKS FROM THE EASTERN

OHIO VALLEY NORTHEASTWARD ACROSS LAKES ERIE/ONTARIO AND ACROSS

SOUTHERN QUEBEC THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT. WHILE THE MEAN TROUGH AXIS

HOLDS TO OUR WEST WITH SEVERAL STRONGLY SHEARED VORTICITY MAXIMA

CROSSING NC DURING THIS PERIOD... FORECAST SOUNDINGS INDICATE DRY

AND STABLE AIR THROUGH THE MID AND UPPER LEVELS... AND WILL FAVOR A

DRY FORECAST. EXPECT SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS MAINLY IN THE

AFTERNOON BOTH DAYS. THICKNESSES ARE WELL BELOW SEASONAL NORMALS

THURSDAY (NEARLY 30 METERS)... INDICATIVE OF HIGHS OF 60-65 AT THE

MOST... WITH SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR 15 MPH GUSTING TO 20-30 MPH. LOWS

38-45 THURSDAY NIGHT. HIGHS FRIDAY 60-67 WITH LIGHTER WINDS AND

PARTLY TO MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES. WITH DIMINISHING WINDS FRIDAY NIGHT AS

THE SURFACE RIDGE NOSES INTO NC FROM THE WEST... GOOD RADIATIONAL

COOLING WILL BRING LOW TEMPS DOWN TO 36-42... BRINGING OUR FIRST

CHANCE AT PATCHY FROST IN OUTLYING AREAS OF THE PIEDMONT. -GIH

Yes, Kill the bugs!!!!

Clear skies at lunch hour.... now dark clouds are moving into downtown Atlanta!

amazing how quickly this thing pulled the moisture north and developed. Which makes this system fun to watch. Just a few hours ago it was at the Florida panhandle, now it looks like moderate rain at Athens. Notice how the line is beginning to form a strong cutoff from northeast to southwest...the NAM may be right, going to have a razor cutoff it appears.

If thats the case I'll come back in 72 hours to see how well it verifies. It's mythical wheelhouse due to Hi-Res is supose to be under 48 inside 24 if I remeber correctly. So this will be a good test to see how well it does 72 hours out. Thanks for pointing this out.

For reference heres the 12znam 10/18/11 output:

12znamp72int072.gif

current radar is supportive of this depiction. Inland max in SC and NC Time sensitive.

2xradarc5_anim.gif

Welp, I find myself on the edge of that sharp cutoff. I hope this rain can build a tad farther NW to include me in some nice needed rains..... It looks like SC and parts of NC are getting ready to be slammed...

I like you Marietta, so I'm not gonna tell you what I think. You say the prayer at supper tonight. :weight_lift:

I like you Marietta, so I'm not gonna tell you what I think. You say the prayer at supper tonight. :weight_lift:

I hear ya, the fact I used the word "hope" says it all. Not I think or it should...... lol shows you what I really think eh?\

First rain drops have reached my location, I hope it becomes more than that....

SPC fading the North Alabama and Middle Tenn thunderstorms at the moment, 1550 Eastern Time. Couple cells are fairly hot on radar and may contain dime to nickel hail. See if those cells can get anchored any better for isolated wind. Prolly not enough to justify a watch, but opportunity for needed rain and some thunder. Enjoy!

:mapstorm:

...but not too much.

18z NAM seems to have shifted slightly NW with the axis of hvy precip though less on the amts

36hr total precip: http://mag.ncep.noaa..._precip_p36.gif

12z run: http://mag.ncep.noaa..._precip_p36.gif

to be honest, the 12z looked like a better depiction based on current radar trends. It's early in the game though. Raining heavily in my neck of the woods.

amazing how quickly this thing pulled the moisture north and developed. Which makes this system fun to watch. Just a few hours ago it was at the Florida panhandle, now it looks like moderate rain at Athens. Notice how the line is beginning to form a strong cutoff from northeast to southwest...the NAM may be right, going to have a razor cutoff it appears.

lol you beat me to it. it was still sunny and warm after 3 PM this afternoon, now completely overcast with rain and embedded thunder! it really came in fast this afternoon (fast enough that non wx weenies even noticed :) )

edited to add: radar is looking good for ne ga and the upstate, rains look to be heavy momentarily. i sure hope it lasts all night lol

Well, that was underwhelmingly disappointing. Less than a tenth, and the suns out...though it was raining pretty good with the sun out for a while....now that has stopped. Less than 3 inches in nearly two months. I saw the camel again earlier....peeking at me over the dunes :) T

to quote a famous line by you I got exactly 321 drops of rain today... Looks like it's over for the most part, I may get some rains from the frontal passage later tonight but I'm not expecting much. Dark clouds, some wind, and some sun all mixed together right now....

to quote a famous line by you I got exactly 321 drops of rain today... Looks like it's over for the most part, I may get some rains from the frontal passage later tonight but I'm not expecting much. Dark clouds, some wind, and some sun all mixed together right now....

Well, Mayretta, I'm sure glad you got something, as squeezing rain out of these clouds is getting really tough, lol. You've done ok, for the last few months, haven't you? Got some from Lee? And I know lightening has been looking for you...and that takes rain..mostly....well, somewhere, lol.

I'm getting ready to demand extensive study of dry slotting, and what dry slotting attractant substances may have been smeared around the south by nefarious miscreants. Every decent event over the last 3 years has shafted us down this way either with the dry slot, or no slot at all :) Me, and Fide, Psalm and Candyman are going to have to form an unrequited weather yearning group pretty soon, if something doesn't change! T

Well, Mayretta, I'm sure glad you got something, as squeezing rain out of these clouds is getting really tough, lol. You've done ok, for the last few months, haven't you? Got some from Lee? And I know lightening has been looking for you...and that takes rain..mostly....well, somewhere, lol.

I'm getting ready to demand extensive study of dry slotting, and what dry slotting attractant substances may have been smeared around the south by nefarious miscreants. Every decent event over the last 3 years has shafted us down this way either with the dry slot, or no slot at all :) Me, and Fide, Psalm and Candyman are going to have to form an unrequited weather yearning group pretty soon, if something doesn't change! T

Rain has been fair but not meeting expectations in the last few months....

I'll settle for a southeast get together over the rain if possible....

FFC says it's almost a sure bet we get thunderstorms tonight. 80% chance with .25-.50" of rain expected.

Archived