Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Post Tropical Storm Ophelia-Last advisory

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could get the media stirred up some before any collective yawn. Shear forecast to relax a bit out ahead of it in the eastern Caribbean. The wave should find a better environment as the upper trough to its north (40 W) lifts northeast, and the upper trough north of Puerto Rico fills a bit while retreating to the northwest. Ridging should be left in between and along the path of the wave toward the Leeward Isles. See if it can get going in a day or two. By the weekend, however, a broad trough in the eastern US takes shape. Plus westerlies increase over the Gulf. Once the thing pokes its nose above about 22.5 N it will face problems. Though the mainland USA looks safe, it is a week away and the jury is still out for our friends in the Caribbean.

:snorkle:

TROPICAL STORM OPHELIA ADVISORY NUMBER 1

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

AL162011 1100 PM EDT TUE SEP 20 2011

...NEW TROPICAL STORM FORMS OVER THE CENTRAL TROPICAL ATLANTIC...

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION -----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...12.2N 40.1W ABOUT 1585 MI...2555 KM ESE OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 270 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB...29.71 INCHES

AT 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM OPHELIA WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 12.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 40.1 WEST.

OPHELIA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/H...AND THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 48 HOURS WITH AN INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED.

Where have we seen a track like this before?whistle.gif

024430W_sm.gif

Yep we literally have a Maria redux, just a little slower. The only major difference is that Maria had a life saving Kelvin wave that gave it a huge burst of convection right at it's weakest point when it was about to dissipate. I'm not sure if Ophelia will have such luck.

I'm maybe a slight bit more optimistic about Ophelia's future. It looks like there is another Kelvin wave on the way from the East Pacific / Gulf of Mexico that might interact with Ophelia in right about the same area that Maria interacted with a CCKW that gave it some convective life. This might be why some of the models are no longer calling for outright dissipation by the time the system gets near the Lesser Antillies. It literally is looking like a Maria redux, except maybe a little bit further east and slower at this point.

v8lkx5.gif

I disagree with the NHC's take on Ophelia, and think its on its last legs currently. Both the GFS and ECWMF (contrary to what the NHC said) show a very hostile environment ahead of the system for the next 120 hours. I posted on my blog earlier, and continue to still believe dissipation will occur in the next 24-48 hours.

Archived