wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
September 2011

WeatherX

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

73/68 here presently. A look at the meso map shows why guys like Blizz and LL always think it's hot. look at the extreme heat they are enduring yet again. Poor blokes living down on a hot barren plain, almost feel sorry for them. Day after day being brutalized by the heat, no wonder they drink so much.lol Also now with ashfield off line you can see how data sparse our region is. Just the way we like it in the hidden highlands.

Do you have the sun out down there? It's gotten to a very toast 77.9/71 here. I think my non-80* streak may hold after all. At least until tomorrow.

I'm in Rindge, NH at 1300' and we're torching here...easily low 80s. AFN up to 80F, and some of the mesonets are warmer though I don't know if they have a proper solar shield. 850s are near +20C, Pete, of course it's warm out. We have a heat ridge advecting in from the OH Valley.

Good for you, as all the east slope data shows we are currently in the 70's. A bit muggy but still very nice. BTW, I predicted a warm Labor Day weekend back in early August as well as the subsequent cooldown. Ginx will verify this.

I'm not disputing your calculations, in fact using your numbers it's clear that August was not a torch here. When i have the time perhaps I'll post Augusts daily hi/lo's for you to do a forensic reconstruction of the +/- departures.

I don't think August was a torch for anyone in New England. I know many were predicting a torch month, but it just never materialized.

So now you call me a liar, you little a**wipe? My temps are always corroborated by local sites. You're really pushing your luck with me kid.

LOL I'm kidding....I'm just saying you have a cold bias. And you would never deny that.

Tomorrow looks like a torch too with 20C 850s over all the Mid-Atlantic, but we'll see if cloud cover intervenes in New England. NWS going for a high of 80F here.

So now you call me a liar, you little a**wipe? My temps are always corroborated by local sites. You're really pushing your luck with me kid.

I've got your back on the temps, Pete. While I'm at 77.9 now compared to your cooler temp, we are within a degree of each other 95% of the time (excluding radiating lows). In fact, as often as not, the one degree difference on the highs is as often me being the lower as you.

Face it folks--there's a wide variety of conditions in SNE. No reason to bicker about it.

Do you have the sun out down there? It's gotten to a very toast 77.9/71 here. I think my non-80* streak may hold after all. At least until tomorrow.

We've had a few peaks at the sun, right now it's filtered and a breeze seems to have kicked up a bit. Croquet starts here shortly, perfect weather for a game of high stakes poison.

LOL I'm kidding....I'm just saying you have a cold bias. And you would never deny that.

Tomorrow looks like a torch too with 20C 850s over all the Mid-Atlantic, but we'll see if cloud cover intervenes in New England. NWS going for a high of 80F here.

Ok Zuck. I don't want to perpetuate bad blood between us. While I may truly prefer the cold I really just post what the current temps are at any given time. I wish this area was data rich because it would be easier to back up my assertions. I believe June was AOB normal here, July was AOA, and August AOB (Probably just normal), precip is obviously way above. Thus I feel that my overall call of a cool, wet summer wasn't that far off. Certainly more accurate than those that reflexively called for an all out torch summer which quite obviously failed to occur. They'll sceam positive departures but those were meager and driven by warmer than normal nights. Not a sizzly summer.

I've got your back on the temps, Pete. While I'm at 77.9 now compared to your cooler temp, we are within a degree of each other 95% of the time (excluding radiating lows). In fact, as often as not, the one degree difference on the highs is as often me being the lower as you.

Face it folks--there's a wide variety of conditions in SNE. No reason to bicker about it.

Thanks Mike,lol. Sometimes the jocular humor goes to far and I'm as guilty of that as anyone. A much as I seem to boast about our always cooler temps its really just that I'm fascinated by our relative cool temps. I'm convinced it has as much to do with our vast tracts of forest/undeveloped area as it does with elevation. When people point to the 4 SNE climo sites and say "see! torch" I laugh because those sites have nothing remotely in common with us. (maybe orh is close to our elevation but it far mor urbanized.)

Thanks Mike,lol. Sometimes the jocular humor goes to far and I'm as guilty of that as anyone. A much as I seem to boast about our always cooler temps its really just that I'm fascinated by our relative cool temps. I'm convinced it has as much to do with our vast tracts of forest/undeveloped area as it does with elevation. When people point to the 4 SNE climo sites and say "see! torch" I laugh because those sites have nothing remotely in common with us. (maybe orh is close to our elevation but it far mor urbanized.)

Urbanization doesn't make much of a difference in terms of the overall departure though. Your averages are much cooler than places that are concrete. For example, our average low is probably like 53F right now whereas in NYC metro it's mid 60s. We're going to tack on some big plus departures in the next few days with nights staying in the 60s. And how can you say this summer wasn't a sizzler? July had one of the biggest heat waves on record with NYC, EWR and BWI well into the 100s and most of New England upper 90s. July was like +4 across the East, although we stayed on the edge of the heat ridge that enveloped the Plains. Parts of OK/TX that have the bad drought were like +6 for meteorological summer, so they sat under the core of the positive height anomaly.

The airport reading is not urbanized--it's essentially in Leicester, Paxton or some such place. But, it's more than 50 miles east of here so there's a longitudinal element that can't be ignored. This is clear very frequently on mesomaps. Sometimes the eastern areas are cooler, sometimes we are. Frontal passages typically are taking place here first, etc. So the longitudinal impacts can't be ignored.

Edit: That said, I think ORH may actually radiate even worse than I. That says a lot about their situation. lol

Urbanization doesn't make much of a difference in terms of the overall departure though. Your averages are much cooler than places that are concrete. For example, our average low is probably like 53F right now whereas in NYC metro it's mid 60s. We're going to tack on some big plus departures in the next few days with nights staying in the 60s. And how can you say this summer wasn't a sizzler? July had one of the biggest heat waves on record with NYC, EWR and BWI well into the 100s and most of New England upper 90s. July was like +4 across the East, although we stayed on the edge of the heat ridge that enveloped the Plains. Parts of OK/TX that have the bad drought were like +6 for meteorological summer, so they sat under the core of the positive height anomaly.

We got two days of 90-91 here. Relatively, it was unbearable. But, for most folks in SNE (to say nothing of NYC/EWR) would have found our temps delightfully cool.

77.6/70

We got two days of 90-91 here. Relatively, it was unbearable. But, for most folks in SNE (to say nothing of NYC/EWR) would have found our temps delightfully cool.

77.6/70

Yeah that's not bad at all...my house probably had about 20 days of 90+ with 101.3F reached during the mid July heat wave (7/22, Dobbs Ferry had a high of 101.3F with Scarsdale reaching 98F).

Yeah that's not bad at all...my house probably had about 20 days of 90+ with 101.3F reached during the mid July heat wave (7/22, Dobbs Ferry had a high of 101.3F with Scarsdale reaching 98F).

I just double checked my history. We had 91.1 on July 21 and 91.0 on the 22nd. I lived down in the Bronx, New Rochelle, and Stamford for several years. I hated the summers with a passion. Actually, hated the winters, too, because we never got snow. lol

77.4/70

I totally agree with Will: this September is going to end on the warm side. With the warm overnight lows the next few days and highs in the low-mid 80s across SNE, most stations should be above average. Given the Niña analogs, you have to think the ridging will have to move east later in the month once the tropical threats fade; you wouldn't expect a +PNA to hold on too long in a La Niña. Given the consistent trade winds and fairly positive SOI, you'd have to think troughing will build back into the Pac NW and Northern Rockies later in the month, replacing the 590dm ridge currently over Montana.

I just double checked my history. We had 91.1 on July 21 and 91.0 on the 22nd. I lived down in the Bronx, New Rochelle, and Stamford for several years. I hated the summers with a passion. Actually, hated the winters, too, because we never got snow. lol

77.4/70

I'm pretty close to New Rochelle in my hometown...about 15-20 mins drive, but my hometown does a little better in the snow department being away from LI Sound and higher in elevation around 340'. Westchester has some pretty variable microclimates with the sound shore communities like New Rochelle, Bronxville, and Mt Vernon (not quite on the Sound, but in the SE quadrant of the County) seeing much less snow than places further from the coast and higher up. My mom is a French teacher at Mt Vernon HS, and she always receives fewer snow days than almost any district in Westchester. Some of the elevations approach 1000' in NE Westchester near the CT border around Yorktown Heights etc, so there's a huge gradient with downtown New Rochelle probably not averaging much above 30" while the higher northern reaches of the County see like 45-50" per year.

Zuck, I think ORH ended up like +1.3F or so for the whole summer. July was the only really warm month there.

Kids are in the pool...very chilly. Spent part of the morning cleaning it out.

At times Jaffrey gets warmer daytime highs than me. Any idea why?

Yeah, same in NYC. August was near average but July way above. June wet and slightly above average with the ULL mid month making up for the heat at the month's end. Central Park did hit 104F though in July, which was the highest temperature recorded since July 1977 and tied for second highest on record behind 1936.

I'm pretty close to New Rochelle in my hometown...about 15-20 mins drive, but my hometown does a little better in the snow department being away from LI Sound and higher in elevation around 340'. Westchester has some pretty variable microclimates with the sound shore communities like New Rochelle, Bronxville, and Mt Vernon (not quite on the Sound, but in the SE quadrant of the County) seeing much less snow than places further from the coast and higher up. My mom is a French teacher at Mt Vernon HS, and she always receives fewer snow days than almost any district in Westchester. Some of the elevations approach 1000' in NE Westchester near the CT border around Yorktown Heights etc, so there's a huge gradient with downtown New Rochelle probably not averaging much above 30" while the higher northern reaches of the County see like 45-50" per year.

YEah--some of teh folks I worked with lived in Yorktown and Briarcliff--they fared pretty well.

I wasn't speaking of the departures though. More just the fact that a place of similar elevation can have higher averages/temps because of urbanization. As MPM has pointed out, while yes many places on earth did see a sizzling summer, we did not. I really don't have much more than a passing interest in the weather for other regions. I'm always interested when noteworthy weather happens anywhere but truly I'm most interested in the weather's immediate impact on me, my business, recreation, etc. I know this is very provincial but true nonetheless. So, when I say it hasn't been a sizzler I speak for mby. 2 days of 90 in July, 2 days of 80 in August, at the very least unremarkable even if a meager + departure.

Congrats everyone on tomorrow!!!

EXPECTING SFC TEMPS TO REACH INTO THE MID 80S NEARLY

REGIONWIDE EXCEPT FOR THE CAPE/ISLANDS/ AND IMMEDIATE S COAST

WHERE ONSHORE FLOW WILL KEEP CONDITIONS COOLER. IT WILL LIKELY

FEEL BALMY AS WELL...SINCE DWPTS GRADUALLY INCREASE TO UPPER 60S

AND EVEN SOME LOWER 70S IN THE INTERIOR

Congrats everyone on tomorrow!!!

EXPECTING SFC TEMPS TO REACH INTO THE MID 80S NEARLY

REGIONWIDE EXCEPT FOR THE CAPE/ISLANDS/ AND IMMEDIATE S COAST

WHERE ONSHORE FLOW WILL KEEP CONDITIONS COOLER. IT WILL LIKELY

FEEL BALMY AS WELL...SINCE DWPTS GRADUALLY INCREASE TO UPPER 60S

AND EVEN SOME LOWER 70S IN THE INTERIOR

We'll see. I had said yesterday that I expected at least one of these forecasted days in the 80's would fall short up here. Accurate with that call--still hoping that I get the second one.

Archived