• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene Obs.

phil882

Just thought I'd get this started since most of the other threads are focusing on discussion and forecasts, when the storm is now starting to Impact us directly. Its time for an obs thread! weight_lift.gif

So far its been raining consistently since about 11:00pm last night... we are quickly approaching the 1" mark on my rain gauge. Winds are still nothing to write home about (10-20 mph), but that will likely change as we progress through the day.

So lets here it... who else is getting some interesting weather scooter.gif

I was shocked at the durations and intensity of the winds in the Harrisburg area. Just came back from a drive around a couple of the suburbs and it was shocking. Lots of big trees down on roads, houses, and cars. Wires down, and large branches everywhere. Most did not seem to have power.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I think the winds might surprise you up there

So far its not been so bad... some leaves stripped from the trees, but I haven't seen any major gusts above 35mph... the airport obs agree with my observations thus far.

Total Precip thus far: 1.81in

I think I will have the image and sounds of the one band that hit around 5 am with me for awhile. Nothing quite like staring into pitch blackness and hearing the wind increase as you see the blue flashes in the distance of transformers exploding like dominoes toward you until one exploads close enough to hear. Add in the sound of trees crashing and I ended up a bit unnerved

I think I will have the image and sounds of the one band that hit around 5 am with me for awhile. Nothing quite like staring into pitch blackness and hearing the wind increase as you see the blue flashes in the distance of transformers exploding like dominoes toward you until one exploads close enough to hear. Add in the sound of trees crashing and I ended up a bit unnerved

Wow sounds pretty scary!

Now above 2" here as of 8:15am. Winds have also continued to pick up with quite a few gusts over tropical storm force now.

Wow sounds pretty scary!

Now above 2" here as of 8:15am. Winds have also continued to pick up with quite a few gusts over tropical storm force now.

Hey Phil! You don't know me but I'm familiar with you from the main forums, especially the tropical threads which I read daily but don't yet post in. I'm just getting my feet wet as a member here.

I'm also in Albany NY and I woke up to Irene this morning around 630 this morning. As a tropical fanatic I'm so exicted to be experiencing "Hurricane Irene" today! I've been watching her since she was a big broad wave in the atlantic like many of us.Thought I'd share that the gusts are getting stronger and this is unlike anything I've experienced as you can hear the strong rumbling in the wind you don't hear in typical mid lat's. The strongest gust I've seen since I woke up just occurred. I was mesmorized. Here's another right now just like it as I type this. Definitly picking up. NWS Albany has peak winds coming in around 1 - 4pm.

I figured I'd ask in here but I often times want to chime in in the models/forecasting thread but am concerned that I wouldn't be welcomed. I just recently graduated with a BS in Atmos Sci and am a big tropical meteorology fan so I'm just wondering if you think they would be annoyed if I chimed in considering I don't have "Meteorologist" listed. I've been a long time member of another forum which is great and I love it but there more composed of enthusiasts then legit met's and often times I can't have discussions I'd like with others in my field, so I'm looking to become more active here.

Thanks!

Hey Phil! You don't know me but I'm familiar with you from the main forums, especially the tropical threads which I read daily but don't yet post in. I'm just getting my feet wet as a member here.

I'm also in Albany NY and I woke up to Irene this morning around 630 this morning. As a tropical fanatic I'm so exicted to be experiencing "Hurricane Irene" today! I've been watching her since she was a big broad wave in the atlantic like many of us.Thought I'd share that the gusts are getting stronger and this is unlike anything I've experienced as you can hear the strong rumbling in the wind you don't hear in typical mid lat's. The strongest gust I've seen since I woke up just occurred. I was mesmorized. Here's another right now just like it as I type this. Definitly picking up. NWS Albany has peak winds coming in around 1 - 4pm.

I figured I'd ask in here but I often times want to chime in in the models/forecasting thread but am concerned that I wouldn't be welcomed. I just recently graduated with a BS in Atmos Sci and am a big tropical meteorology fan so I'm just wondering if you think they would be annoyed if I chimed in considering I don't have "Meteorologist" listed. I've been a long time member of another forum which is great and I love it but there more composed of enthusiasts then legit met's and often times I can't have discussions I'd like with others in my field, so I'm looking to become more active here.

Thanks!

PM one of the administrators on this forum with proof for your BS, and I think they would be more than happy to give you a red tag :)

Winds are still gusting here, but more in spurts now than any sort of sustained wind like earlier.

4.29" of rain so far as of 12:40pm.

PM one of the administrators on this forum with proof for your BS, and I think they would be more than happy to give you a red tag :)

Winds are still gusting here, but more in spurts now than any sort of sustained wind like earlier.

4.29" of rain so far as of 12:40pm.

I haven't checked recently but I must be over 4" now. Major (helicopter rescues) flooding nearby.

NWUS51 KBGM 281646

LSRBGM

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

1246 PM EDT SUN AUG 28 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1241 PM FLASH FLOOD FLEISCHMANNS 42.16N 74.53W

08/28/2011 DELAWARE NY EMERGENCY MNGR

NATIONAL GUARD HELICOPTER HAS BEEN DISPATCHED TO RESCUE

PEOPLE OFF THE ROOFS OF BUILDINGS DUE TO SEVERE

FLOODING.

&&

$$

DJN

I am trapped in Orange County, thruway is closed, alternate routes are all impassable with mud/rock slides, sinkholes and streams that look like Niagara Falls. Called state police and they said they're not sure if I can go North tomorrow either. Then I read in the post star online that my area near West Mtn. in Queensbury was hardest hit up there with huge pines down on peoples homes............not good

Record all time flooding all along the Schoharie Creek from the Catskills north to the Mohawk. The Gilboa Dam has some issues (possible breach I heard) and all villages downstream have been evacuated. 13 inches in Hunter and Windham. Downtown Windham washed out by the Batavia Kill (tributary of Schoharie). Downtown Middleburgh under water also.

Re: your trip north... Even if you managed to get north into Ulster County I think the Thruway would be washed out where the Wallkill/Rondout crosses below Kingston. That would also wash out route 32. Maybe 9W north would be ok because that bridge is high above the Rondout in Kingston, but I can't speak to other smaller creeks you may encounter. Then you would encounter the Esopus Creek in Saugerties and not sure if 9W is being impacted there.

I am trapped in Orange County, thruway is closed, alternate routes are all impassable with mud/rock slides, sinkholes and streams that look like Niagara Falls. Called state police and they said they're not sure if I can go North tomorrow either. Then I read in the post star online that my area near West Mtn. in Queensbury was hardest hit up there with huge pines down on peoples homes............not good

Record all time flooding all along the Schoharie Creek from the Catskills north to the Mohawk. The Gilboa Dam has some issues (possible breach I heard) and all villages downstream have been evacuated. 13 inches in Hunter and Windham. Downtown Windham washed out by the Batavia Kill (tributary of Schoharie). Downtown Middleburgh under water also.

Re: your trip north... Even if you managed to get north into Ulster County I think the Thruway would be washed out where the Wallkill/Rondout crosses below Kingston. That would also wash out route 32. Maybe 9W north would be ok because that bridge is high above the Rondout in Kingston, but I can't speak to other smaller creeks you may encounter. Then you would encounter the Esopus Creek in Saugerties and not sure if 9W is being impacted there.

The damage I have seen between Harriman and Newburgh along 32 is enough for me to stay put until the thruway reopens. In the dark, the roads are truly life threatening out there now. Just concerns me that this could be awhile until it reopens. My cats are not happy

Yea pretty bad situation across portions of upstate New York.

Near Schenectady, it seems that the Mohawk River is on pace to set to approach record flooding stage. They are just near flooding stage now but the river is expected to rapidly rise tonight and they were evacuating people in low lying areas near the river.

344wnz7.png

Closer to Albany, Western Ave. is currently flooded along the Stuyvesant Plaza. The photos below are my own surveying the flooding waters, which are taking up a couple blocks very close to the SUNY Albany campus.

2uy3kt2.jpg

Finally in Troy there was a major mud slide today that took out a couple of homes. Residence are warned that the mud slight will likely continue as the ground remains unstable and gas lines might have been broken since many of the residence have detected a strong gas smell.

indeed there are power outages reported across montreal island, especially in and around the airport and towards southern sections S of autoroute 40.

personally myself havent gusted over high 40s, but sustained >30 for several hours now which of course is highly unusual and some branches down in the streets but nothing huge that i can tell out my window.

south sections and closer to VT gusting higher as per reports, especially over and along the st lawerence and those with elevation to the east of the city. we've had a lot of rain, but our neighbours in VT and eastern NY looks to be getting crushed with rain and the flooding looks BAD.

quebec city is gusting over 50 in the city from what i can tell and i imagine it will continue to get windier there as the system apporaches.

there will be some cleanup from this after all.

As for back at my house... winds have really picked up again! I'm definitely concerned we might see some more falling trees tonight due to the ground being so saturated. These most recent gusts are among the strongest of the day.

Rainfall has stopped for the most part at 133mm which is 5.24 in. amounts obviously vary across the region though.

Managed to get through the storm itself OK, then all hell broke loose. The wind ripped some new vinyl siding off my house, then proceeded to snap a maple in half and place it on my house while I was surveying the siding damage. Will try and post some pics this week when/if I get power back. I'm not sure the extent of the damage quite yet as the large tree is smothering much of the roof. Happened around 6:30PM last night, right after we lost power (we kept it on throughout the storm). I don't know how fast the wind gust blew that snapped it, but it was enough to near send me off my feet, rip off more siding, and snap a large healthy maple off at the trunk. Obvious flooding issues in town as well, down closer to the Mohawk. I'm a couple hundred feet above those poor folks in Rotterdam Junction, so I'm at least OK there. Never seen anything like this since I've been in Upstate NY.

Managed to get through the storm itself OK, then all hell broke loose. The wind ripped some new vinyl siding off my house, then proceeded to snap a maple in half and place it on my house while I was surveying the siding damage. Will try and post some pics this week when/if I get power back. I'm not sure the extent of the damage quite yet as the large tree is smothering much of the roof. Happened around 6:30PM last night, right after we lost power (we kept it on throughout the storm). I don't know how fast the wind gust blew that snapped it, but it was enough to near send me off my feet, rip off more siding, and snap a large healthy maple off at the trunk. Obvious flooding issues in town as well, down closer to the Mohawk. I'm a couple hundred feet about those poor folks in Rotterdam Junction, so I'm at least OK there. Never seen anything like this since I've been in Upstate NY.

Now the Thruway is closed from Exit 34A in Syracuse to 27 in Amsterdam just eastbound because of flooding.

I thought I had lucked out yesterday, but at 6:30 PM the power went out. At that point we were getting some very gusty northwest winds on the back side of the storm. I think some of those nw gusts were as strong, or a tad stronger than the earlier winds. My only damage is one young maple tree (15 feet tall) that I have been nurturing. Poor thing is listing about 30-40 degrees in the saturated ground, hoping if I tie it up to a post I can straighten it and get it through the winter winds. Otherwise ...no problems, but that's the good thing about being in mostly open fields.

Power came back just about exactly 24 hours later... The rainfall total here was 6.5 inches.

Power is still out over near Duane Lake. This afternoon it was out along route 7 from the 88/Thruway exit to the Five Corners in Rotterdam. I-88 remains closed from Duanesburg (exit 24) to Cobleskill (exit 22).

road closures making it difficult to get in and out of the region from just about any direction. Pretty crazy.

Archived