• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene Obs.

phil882

We lost our power and got it back at exactly the same time as you. Best of luck with your maple...mine was fully mature and stuck well above our house. It survived countless blizzards and ice storms, but not Irene.

I thought I had lucked out yesterday, but at 6:30 PM the power went out. At that point we were getting some very gusty northwest winds on the back side of the storm. I think some of those nw gusts were as strong, or a tad stronger than the earlier winds. My only damage is one young maple tree (15 feet tall) that I have been nurturing. Poor thing is listing about 30-40 degrees in the saturated ground, hoping if I tie it up to a post I can straighten it and get it through the winter winds. Otherwise ...no problems, but that's the good thing about being in mostly open fields.

Power came back just about exactly 24 hours later... The rainfall total here was 6.5 inches.

Power is still out over near Duane Lake. This afternoon it was out along route 7 from the 88/Thruway exit to the Five Corners in Rotterdam. I-88 remains closed from Duanesburg (exit 24) to Cobleskill (exit 22).

Check out this National Grid outage map. The number of small outages (IE one block, street etc.) in the greater Capital Region (Albany) boggles the mind.

National Grid Outage Map

You might have to scan to the right area on map. And this is 2 days later... how about burying the lines like most of western Europe did 30-50 years ago.

Probably can get Lake George area also there if that is still National Grid.

still no power by me up in warren county, not sure when it will be back on

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this National Grid outage map. The number of small outages (IE one block, street etc.) in the greater Capital Region (Albany) boggles the mind.

National Grid Outage Map

You might have to scan to the right area on map. And this is 2 days later... how about burying the lines like most of western Europe did 30-50 years ago.

Probably can get Lake George area also there if that is still National Grid.

Hey Logan,FWIW I had 13 years with a cable company ( I left in 2008 b/c of an injury). Buried cable lines are not the answer.I replaced many many many an underground cable.It is a popular misconception that underground cables are a silver bullet. When underground cables go bad---and that is a when--- not if--- it's much harder to repair.Between the difficulty of digging in the frost and tying to do it by hand---UFPO or "Dig Safe NY" guidelines are that when digging within 2feet either side of a mark,all digging MUST be by hand.If you do dig with anything other than by hand and something does get damaged that person or company gets the bill for it and it is HUGE. The peds on the ground (transformers, phone and cable hookups ect) are very prone to being hit by snow clearing equipment, accidents and other factors.The cable itself is well over double the price per foot (different jacketing, sheathing, flooding compound ect) and thats not figuring in the cost to place it in the ground and there are guidelines to this.It's not what it's made out to be. I am just giving you reasons why it's not all it's cracked up to be,not giving you a hard time.

Archived